Nissan Titan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I've been putting 0w-20 in the wifes Honda Pilot, for going on 4 years now, zero issues and its over 100k on it, Ironically, she has an elocker in it too, and my Titan doesn't....

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I said a while back 0w 20 was like pouring water in your engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bawhahaha, right :serious:

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Sent my 18 mada oil sample off to Blackstone..

Will see how the Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 is protecting things.... will report out once I get the results....
LMK how long it takes? My last sample took 3wks or so? A little longer than I remember from past samples? I was just getting ready to call them and see if they got it and they sent results.

·
Registered
830 Posts

Will see how the Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 is protecting things.... will report out once I get the results....
LMK how long it takes? My last sample took 3wks or so? A little longer than I remember from past samples? I was just getting ready to call them and see if they got it and they sent results.
Its all over the map... Depends on their workload... The sample is due to hit them Monday....

·
Registered
830 Posts

I have my oil labwork back and want to post but for some reason app is not letting me attach things. I hit the paper clip and nothing happens?? Using an iPhone 7....

·
Registered
11 Posts
The CAFE reason is a very good one. By switching to 5w20 from 10w30 Ford picked up something like one tenth of a percent better fuel economy. Now that doesn't sound like much but when you multiply it by the millions of vehicles built it added up to help them achieve the MPG's needed. I'm pretty sure the switch from 5w20 to 0w20 gave similar results. And other manufacturers played the same games.

My problem with the report is that is was sponsored by amsoil. And the last time I checked they sell the very oils they are saying you shouldn't use. So either they are part of the solution or part of the problem. My suggestion is use what you feel comfortable with. Most manufacturers really just care if you did the oil change at the recommended intervals.

Here is another mind blowing fact. You know how the intervals have changed from every 3k to 5k, 7.5k or 10k miles? Or how most engines today have timing chains instead of timing belts? Or how spark plugs are now good for 100k miles or more? The reason boils down to cost of ownership over 3 or 5 years. Less oil changes mean less cost to own. Don't have to change that timing belt every 60k (lets face it, it was also a water pump, seals, tensioner, ect.) means less cost to own. Even the $2-$5 spark plugs means, you guessed it, less cost to own.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have no issue with 0w 20 in cars designed from scratch with it in mind and on sedans or small SUV’s with 4 and 6 cyl. Engines but I don’t think a big V6 or V8 engines that is in a full size SUV or Truck should be using it. I would think those engines could break down that oil fast but just my opinion hopefully you can post the results

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have my oil labwork back and want to post but for some reason app is not letting me attach things. I hit the paper clip and nothing happens?? Using an iPhone 7....

You should be able to hit the camera icon on the message then take a picture or attach one. Have you given the app permission to see your photos and camera. Maybe you have your phone set to not allow any app access to your camera or photos. Check settings out and look either under the specific app or under your camera/photos

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
What a joke. At the bottom of the article, they say its all good as long as you use amsoil 20w. Say what now? Its a lie to increase MPG and your engine will wear faster, BUT if you must, use our brand and your **** will last at least 250K miles plus..

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Even the $2-$5 spark plugs means, you guessed it, less cost to own.
Not sure where your getting your OEM spark plugs from, sure they last 100K, but they are more like $15 each...

·
Registered
11 Posts
As for the price of plugs I was using the old school, non platinum, non iridium, standard plugs you changed every 24k miles. I've been messing with cars since the early 90's. Back before the interwebs was mainstream.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
These overpriced spark plugs are getting out of control. Go to NGK website, find the cheapest plug they make and is compatible, and you may have to change them every 50k, but they are usually under $5

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Just changed my wife’s oil in her Mazda 6 2016. It takes 0w 20. Second oil change a row I have noticed that the old oil only fills the 5 Qt hug to about 3.5. I change it after 5,000 to 7,000 miles. Been religious about changing oil in our cars. If a 4 cylinder eats that much oil between changes its to thin if you ask me. 0w is easily eaten up by engines. Now put that oil in a truck V8 I just don’t see how it’s good. Anyone that changes their own oil how much comes back out at your oil change? Curious to see if it’s getting eaten up. My wife’s car has around 50,000 miles on it 100% not abused. When I change the oil on my Titan with 5w 30 it fills the 5qt jug up and more which is about equal to what goes in on a change.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
You should just try reading the dipstick before draining, no need to measure what comes out. Did you include the oil that was in the filter?
Changed my M6 several times, it’s never more than 1/2 qt low. 1.5 low might not show on dipstick at all. You should monitor more closely, you might need to add a qt between changes

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Coincidence, I also have a titan and a m6. I find it interesting that so many think the same oil that works in a 4 banger suddenly is useless in a v8 engine. Does it stop working when it senses more cylinders?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just changed my wife’s oil in her Mazda 6 2016. It takes 0w 20. Second oil change a row I have noticed that the old oil only fills the 5 Qt hug to about 3.5. I change it after 5,000 to 7,000 miles. Been religious about changing oil in our cars. If a 4 cylinder eats that much oil between changes its to thin if you ask me. 0w is easily eaten up by engines. Now put that oil in a truck V8 I just don’t see how it’s good. Anyone that changes their own oil how much comes back out at your oil change? Curious to see if it’s getting eaten up. My wife’s car has around 50,000 miles on it 100% not abused. When I change the oil on my Titan with 5w 30 it fills the 5qt jug up and more which is about equal to what goes in on a change.

I changed the oil/filter on our 18 Titan with PP 0W-20 last September at 1440 miles. I just replaced it again at @6140 miles, i.e. after 4700 miles. I did not add any make-up oil in the 4700 miles. The dip stick on our truck remained at the max level through the 4700 mile service and I assure you, there was no fuel or coolant dilution of the oil. For all practical purposes, the 0W-20 did great.

Separately, this last oil change, I purposely mixed 50%/50% of Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20 and 5W-30 oils. So far, so good. The gas mileage remains super. I am not worried about deviating from Nissan's recommendations a little here and there. The truck continues to impress.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts