Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2009 Titan kingcab with the 5.8 L. When I start the truck,sometimes it goes into this mode where there's no power.I'll floor it but no drop in gear and graudually increases in speed like its a four cyl. Also the Cruise will not work and the radio light goes out when the brakes are applied.Truck has 13,000 miles.

Took it to the dealership and they claim that the Topper that was put on is causing the problem because of the wiring. Topper was installed by a repable company.All they did,was tie the brake light in. Any help would be much appreciated.Thanx .

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,434 Posts
You have a 5.8L???

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
sounds like ur in limp mode

·
Registered
144 Posts
The truck is throttle by wire...if something goes wrong with the brake light switch or wiring on the brake lights...it will cut the throttle and limit the power.

It will also not let the cruise control operate...check the wiring to the third brake light on the camper.....possibly the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, been out on a job for a while. Thanx Jason, I'll look into the brake issue and see if this is the problem.

The dealer said they look at it for $60 per hr but as we know. Troubleshooting wiring issues takes a long time.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Remove the topper and tell them to fix it. It doesn't matter what they charge per hour because your problem should be covered under warranty. When you buy new you pay alot of extra money to not have to deal with that B.S. They should be able to eliminate the topper as the cause easily, and if it is not the topper causing the problem, then yes it may take a while to figure out, but it will be all warranty anyway. Dont take any guff from those swine! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem Solved:
I actually took the truck to a differant dealership and within an hour,they found the problem. The company that put the topper on, spliced the wires and black taped around the connectors, for the topper third brake light. A wire strand was poking through and shorting out againist the bed. This would make the truck computer think that the brakes were being applied and cause the throttle issue, along causing the cruise control to not function.

Thanx all for your help on this issue. This was a very useful Forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hmm i have the same problem, but its when i turn my parking lights on... pretty weird.
no mods other than HID's, but it happens without even turning them on, just the amber lights.
any more ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GIII,

All that I know is that the short was tied into the Brake light circuit. This was fooling the trucks computer that the brakes were being applied. This caused the throttle and cruise control issue.

If i were you, I would check my wiring. Good luck in tracking this down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
as you were typing that reply, i was taking the right tailight out and saw someone had replaced the tailight connector and wired it incorrectly.
i rewired and the problem is gone. The truck did indeed think the brakes were being applied, causing it to not accelarate like normal.

thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts