Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I was leaving work and went to reverse out of a parking stall and realized that I wasn't moving. Basically when I put it in reverse it slips kinda, RPM's go up and I barely move (on a flat surface), but its weird because it feels like something is locking up almost. If I repetitively tap the gas it repetitively jerks my truck back and my tires screech, if I slowly give it gas it will just rev up and I barely move. So first instinct was transmission but wanted to play the field so I drained and filled both front and rear diff. still have the problem and decided to check my tranny fluid which I drained and filled about 15K miles ago. Mechanic says that it "seems" like it's the transmission. I was hoping that someone on here may have had similar problems or could help me out, thanks in advance.

btw truck has 98k miles on it.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Check to see if your parking brakes are locked up, I seem to remember a post about someone having a similar problem.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts

·
Registered
8,174 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would my truck still be able to roll back freely in neutral if the E-brake locked up? also once a month the reverse engages and I have full function of reverse but the second I shift into drive and then back into reverse the reverse is gone and back to the high revving and juddery reverse.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Yes. The delaminated shoe material shifts around in the drum. Have your mechanic inspect the e brakes.

the auto guide update is still buggy.

·
Registered
920 Posts
No. If it won't back up in reverse but will roll backwards in neutral it is a transmission issue. If it were a diff it would have come apart by now and likely wouldn't roll in neutral.
It's possible it's just a transmission valve body issue. A new valve body can be had for a few hundred bucks and they aren't terrible to install.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. If it won't back up in reverse but will roll backwards in neutral it is a transmission issue. If it were a diff it would have come apart by now and likely wouldn't roll in neutral.
It's possible it's just a transmission valve body issue. A new valve body can be had for a few hundred bucks and they aren't terrible to install.

That's what I was afraid of. I just thought it was weird because I have had transmission slippage with past vehicles but my titan slips with that weird jerky reverse when I tap on the gas. tapping the gas and it feels like something is locked up in the rear but giving it gradual gas and it seems like slippage. I may just check the e-brakes in hopes that its the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I appreciate that thanks for the reply

1 - 9 of 9 Posts