Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2008 Titan to a licensed repair shop and had a low mileage engine installed. Mechanic called and said they cant get it started. He says there is fuel in the fuel rail, but its not getting through the injectors. He said he replaced the ECU relay but that didn't fix it. I called a local Nissan dealer to price a fuel pump relay, but was told you cant just buy that relay, you have to buy the whole new IPDM. I called a different local Nissan dealership and they said the fuel pump relay is $5. What else could it be other than either of these relays?? I'm at a loss!! HELP ME PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not certain of the year model of the used engine, it has 93k on it. Does the year model make a difference? My mechanic called today and said he changed the ECU relay and I asked him what codes it showed when he scanned it, he answered "NONE". So now he wants me to bring the key back so he can try a couple other things he's learned about over the weekend. You mentioned the harness? I'm assuming you're referring to the one connected to the IPDM board? What about it? I pushed each connector to assure they were all firmly attached, should they be unplugged and reattached? I'm going to buy the $5 fuel pump relay first and take it to him along with the key tomorrow. Any suggestions on what else I should have him check? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Truck, ECU and harness = 2008 ?

low mileage engine just installed = year ?
I posted another post last week, #3, in reply to your questions, but got no response back from you, so I'm going to post here, as a reply to your message. I've been sick for almost a week now, so I haven't been online, however, today I did manage to get in touch with the place I bought the used engine from, and was told it came out of a 2010 Infinity QX56, and is the same engine as in the Titan. My mechanic used all the components off my old engine on this engine, with the exceptions of the following NEW PARTS, a radiator, water pump, thermostat, exhaust and intake manifold gaskets, spark plugs and all fluids. When I was first notified by the mechanic that the truck would not start after the engine swap was done, I started researching The first thing I did was remove my battery and take it to Auto Zone to have it fully charged and tested, it tested to be fine, fully charged and functional. Then I went to the local Nissan dealership Tuesday of last week as well, and purchased two new relays and went to the shop that evening and tried swapping each one of the old ones with the new ones, still wouldn't start. While there, I also checked all the fuses on the IPDM board, they were all fine. I also tried all the the steps to reset the ECU, the steps to reset the immobilizer system, the steps required to retrain the throttle position and the idle, everything I read on this and a couple other Nissan forums I found online, BUT NOTHING HAS WORKED, MY TRUCK STILL WON'T START AND IS STILL STUCK IN THE PARKING LOT OF THE MECHANIC'S SHOP!!!
QUESTIONS: IF the engines in the Nissan Titan and Infinity QX56 ARE THE SAME, are the IPDM boards and ECU's the same in both or do they need to be swapped out too?? (I sure hope not!!) I'm at a loss of what to do next and obviously, so is the mechanic that still has my truck!!
PLEASE HELP ME GET MY TRUCK BACK UP AND RUNNING.
Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!!
Debbie

·
Registered
888 Posts
Debbie- I'm sorry to break this to you, but the 2010 VK56 engine had significant wiring differences than the one in your '08. Mechanically, they are similar, but the Infiniti engine is different electronically than the one in your Titan and will probably need the help of an experienced Nissan tech or wiring expert to get it running.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Debbie- I'm sorry to break this to you, but the 2010 VK56 engine had significant wiring differences than the one in your '08. Mechanically, they are similar, but the Infiniti engine is different electronically than the one in your Titan and will probably need the help of an experienced Nissan tech or wiring expert to get it running.
That's definitely NOT what I wanted to hear!! Well I guess my next step is to get ahold of the place I bought it from, and make them replace it AND pay the additional labor charges it'll cost to swap it out again, cuz my intention was to buy another Titan motor, NOT an Infinity motor!! I've got a real bad feeling I'm going to be going to small claims court in the near future!! Wish me luck!! Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's definitely NOT what I wanted to hear!! Well I guess my next step is to get ahold of the place I bought it from, and make them replace it AND pay the additional labor charges it'll cost to swap it out again, cuz my intention was to buy another Titan motor, NOT an Infinity motor!! I've got a real bad feeling I'm going to be going to small claims court in the near future!! Wish me luck!! Thanks for the info!!
WAIT!! You misunderstood I think, it is a QX56 NOT A VK56, is there a difference between the two??

·
Premium Member
67,926 Posts
You should have got the wiring harness to the engine and the ECU. You are up the creek I'm afraid without all of that. Even different year Titans need the same thing. Coming from an Infiniti, you put an apple in an orange.

·
Registered
888 Posts
WAIT!! You misunderstood I think, it is a QX56 NOT A VK56, is there a difference between the two??
No, you misunderstood. The VK56 is the type of engine in Titans and a QX56 is a specific Infiniti model. They both use the same general VK56DE engine, BUT there are significant wiring issues between model years and a truck vs. SUV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dear 4mula1fan & dkmura,
Here's where I am now, the guy (Paul) that I bought the engine from, insists that the two engines are the SAME, and says that the mechanic (Chris) is now insisting the problem is with the ECU, so Paul got and delivered another ECU to Chris, on Monday of this week. Chris installed the replacement ECU, but still, the engine will NOT start. Chris told me this morning that the ECU now needs to be reprogrammed by a Nissan dealership in order to make the truck run. After speaking to Chris, I called Paul and asked "Was the replacement ECU that you took to Chris, an ECU for a 2008 Nissan Titan or for a 2010 Infinity QX56?" Paul said, "It was for a Nissan Titan, it had to be in order for everything to work." I then asked Paul, "well if the QX56 engine and the Titan engine are supposedly wired differently, then wouldn't it be safe to assume that the Titan ECU would be different from the Infinity QX56 ECU, and therefore, one for the Titan WOULD NOT work on the QX56 engine??" Again, Paul insisted that they are the same engine, and then he said he's not sure why it didn't work, and that it very well may need to be programmed by a dealership as Chris had said." So Paul said, "he is going to have the place he bought the engine from, get in contact with Chris to see what they could figure out, and then he would get back to me".

So now my questions are: The ECU that was in my truck was working everything fine, after the engine swap, all the dash lights, the door lock/unlock, the power windows, the wipers, the key fob & alarm set, the head/tail/brake/blinker/ inside lights, radio, horn, the open door/key in ignition warning buzzers, and the fuel pump was pumping the fuel to the fuel rail, the only thing that wasn't working was STARTING the truck,...
1. SO WAS IT A FAULTY ECU AT ALL??
2. ARE THE INFINITY QX56 AND NISSAN TITAN ECU'S THE SAME IF THE TWO ENGINES "WIRINGS ARE DIFFERENT"??
3. SHOULD THE NISSAN TITAN REPLACEMENT ECU START THE INFINITY QX56 ENGINE THAT WAS INSTALLED IN MY TRUCK OR SHOULD AN INFINITY QX56 ECU BE USED, -AND-
4. IF AN INFINITY QX56 ECU IS INSTALLED, WILL EVERYTHING ELSE ON MY TITAN TRUCK WORK PROPERLY??

My sincere thanks go out to anyone who can answer these questions and/or provide any further information or answers to this huge problem that I've been dealing with for SIX WEEKS+ now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should have got the wiring harness to the engine and the ECU. You are up the creek I'm afraid without all of that. Even different year Titans need the same thing. Coming from an Infiniti, you put an apple in an orange.
Please Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, you misunderstood. The VK56 is the type of engine in Titans and a QX56 is a specific Infiniti model. They both use the same general VK56DE engine, BUT there are significant wiring issues between model years and a truck vs. SUV.
Please Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
67,926 Posts
The bones are basically the same. The operating system is different. If you would have got the same year engine for a Titan you would have been ok. Like I said, you put an apple in an orange. Sorta the same but different.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Debbie- I agree with formula1fan with his statement: "... the engines are similar. The operating systems are different." What you need to understand is how complex the computers and relays are in modern vehicles. They can change radically from one year to the next, depending on the electronic architecture. It sounds like the local vendors you're dealing with are attempting to address the issues, but I'm unsure if they realize what they've gotten into as well.

To answer your questions: 1) the ECM was likely not faulty, but expecting a '08 Titan ECM to properly operate a 2010 Infiniti engine WITHOUT significant wiring changes won't work. 2) The Nissan and Infiniti ECMs are programmed differently and are NOT interchangeable. 3) I doubt a Titan ECM will work properly with the Infiniti engine. 4) The Infiniti ECM has programmed features that are not present on your Titan, so it will be lacking inputs or will be confused by the inputs it gets back. So, it may not work.

Sorry for your frustration with the work being done on your Titan. You're not the first one confused by the complexities of engine swaps on modern cars and trucks, and you won't be the last either!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bones are basically the same. The operating system is different. If you would have got the same year engine for a Titan you would have been ok. Like I said, you put an apple in an orange. Sorta the/same but different.
OK, I get that really I DO.....and I totally agree from a common sense point, that it only makes sense, when replacing ANY item, it would be best to use the exact same part that was as the original part if possible in order to avoid any conflicts and/or errors. The problem I am having is getting the guy I bought the engine from, Paul, to believe that fact, and do something about it other than 'very politely disagree with me and insist that ......(QUOTE).....
"THERE IS NOT A SINGLE SALVAGE YARD FROM COAST TO COAST THAT I DEAL WITH, THAT HAS MADE ANY KIND OF ANNOUNCEMENT NOTE ON THEIR SITE, NOR WAS ONE GIVEN TO ME WHEN I ORDERED YOUR ENGINE, TO WARN OF THIS PROBLEM, AND ITS LIST OF OTHER PARTS THAT ARE ALSO NECESSARY, ALONG WITH THIS ENGINE, TO MAKE THE ENGINE OPERABLE IN A DIFFERENT MAKE AND/OR MODEL VEHICLE, BUT IT DIDN'T....AND THAT'S BECAUSE THE ENGINES ARE THE SAME." (END QUOTE)
The beginning of this post was from yesterday, I got so aggravated writing it, I had to stop. Now today, I just called Paul back, he said, "yeah I talked to my engine guy and he said yes that the new ECU is going to have to go to the Nissan dealership to be programmed." I proceeded to tell him, "the truck would not have even needed a new ECU, if a Titan engine, which is what I ordered from u, world have been installed back into it, my original ECU would have worked and my truck world have started, but since u brought an Infinity QX56 engine to the shop instead, my original ECU, nor the new ECU for a Titan, that u delivered on Monday, neither are going to work. He disagreed, very rudely this time, and cut me PDF in mid sentence by saying, " listen, you're going to have to calm me back, I have a customer in here I need to help", and he hung up on me!!!
So now please tell me if I am right when I say,
1. IF A TITAN ENGINE WOULD HAVE GONE BACK IN THE TRUCK, MY ECU WOULD HAVE WORKED AND NOT NEEDED A NISSAN PROGRAMMING.
2. THE NEW ECU HE ORDERED AND DELIVERED ON MONDAY IS FOR A TITAN AS WELL, THEREFORE IT WILL NOT WORK EITHER?
3. WILL TAKING IT TO NISSAN FOR PROGRAMMING, BE POSSIBLE TO HAVE DONE, CAN THE NEW TITAN ECU (YES I ASKED HIM WHAT ECU HE ORDERED, FOR WHICH VEHICLE, THE TITAN OR THE INFINITY, AND SAID A TITAN), BE PROGRAMMED TO A 2010 INFINITY QX56 ENGINE THAT'S IN A 2008 TITAN? OR WILL I SPEND MORE MONEY TO GET NO WHERE AGAIN??

Please reply ASAP as I am TOTALLY FED UP with this whole run around and am ready to go file a small claims suit in court on Monday, rather than spend any more money, that I shouldn't have to spend, had I received the correct engine, the one i wanted, shopped around for for over a week, and THOUGHT was what I paid $1849 for 5 weeks ago!!! I've been VERY PATIENT, (which I must add, IS NOT ONE OF MY STRONG SUITS AT ALL), but my patience is GONE!!! I WILL NOT BE SCREWED AROUND, FOR WHAT I FIRMLY BELIEVE IS BECAUSE THEY THINK I'M JUST A WOMAN, AND DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER, AND THEREFORE, I WILL BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY SAY IS TRUE!!!
So I NEED FACTS, FOR SURE ANSWERS, NOT GUESSES OR OPINIONS, I NEED NISSAN EXPERIENCE NOW PLEASE, BECAUSE I WANT TO GO TO COURT WITH MY GUNS FULLY LOADED AND READY FOR BEAR, AS THEY SAY.
Thanks again SO MUCH for ALL the help, I TRULY APPRECIATE IT ALL.

·
Premium Member
67,926 Posts
Tell him to let Nissan program it and if it doesn't run, you ain't paying a cent for the programming. I was hoping maybe Seymore would add to this situation. I'm no tuning guru. I'm an old plugs, points, and condenser guy. All this computer controlled crap to me is just crap. What you have had done sounds like a simple swap, but I can tell you it ain't that simple. In the old days, you would have already been trucking. Like putting a Chevy engine in a Mustang. Not a big problem, but alas...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tell him to let Nissan program it and if it doesn't run, you ain't paying a cent for the programming. I was hoping maybe Seymore would add to this situation. I'm no tuning guru. I'm an old plugs, points, and condenser guy. All this computer controlled crap to me is just crap. What you have had done sounds like a simple swap, but I can tell you it ain't that simple. In the old days, you would have already been trucking. Like putting a Chevy engine in a Mustang. Not a big problem, but alas..
Yeah, your suggestion sounds good, however, the mechanic told me today that the truck needs to go to the dealership for Nissan to program it with their Nissan computer, BUT that the truck isn't going anywhere until he gets paid for the install itself. I see it like this, I don't want to pay for a truck that I took in NOT running, that is still NOT running when I pick it up, because I took it to him broken, and agreed to pay the labor costs of $1280 when I picked it up and I'm able to DRIVE it off the lot, which is NOT what is happening. Also, the other problem with taking it to the Nissan dealership to have it programmed, Nissan will look to me for payment, as I am the owner and the one who brought it in, and whether it runs or not after the programming, they still expect me to pay the $140 programming fee they charge, and if it doesn't start the truck, they said it would then have to be "further diagnosed to find the problem, and that is an additional $159". And if I refuse to pay them, they will keep my truck until I do, and my mechanic has already said, "he's not paying for the programming fee". So what's your next suggestion??

·
Premium Member
67,926 Posts
The shop you chose sucks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts