Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, sorry bout the dumb noise questions.....

But, I recently had my front brakes replaced, which HAD to be replaced. So they are fine now.

Now, the rear brakes still had some milage left on them I was told, and since I could only afford the front brake job at the time, I put off the rears for later.

so, recently I have been hearing what I can best describe as a "gingling" noise. Kind of like a chain clinking on the ground noise...now is that the rear brakes doing their warning noise? I assume its the brakes, I have gone underneath to look around and havent seen anything obvious.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The warning noise is usually more of a chirping sound. Sounds like a spring in the emergency brake setup might be loose or broken. Does the noise go away when you apply slight brake pedal pressure?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, now that u say chirp, it describes it a bit better. On my way home later today I'll listen for it again as I apply brakes and see what I hear and let you know. If it is the E-brake, is it something I can easily check underneath? Thanks LVCoyote :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
The E-Brake shoes are pretty tough to get a good look at without removing the rotor, but if your ready for rear brakes anyway then inspecting and repairing them if needed is no big deal.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
You have to remove caliper & rotor to see the e-brake shoes & springs. At this point, a few people have had the shoes & springs fall onto the ground, which is indicative of a problem.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The warning noise is usually more of a chirping sound. Sounds like a spring in the emergency brake setup might be loose or broken. Does the noise go away when you apply slight brake pedal pressure?
checked it out again on the way home. the noise is still there with pedal pressure. but i did put the brakes on hard a couple times, and it seems to have "calmed" down some by trying that. will see how it does tomorrow :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think I am having the same issue, but I think/hope it is my emergency brake. It started making a horrible clanking and metal on metal grinding noise. I am stuck at my sister's house 100 miles from home with hardly any tools....wonderful! Didn't want to make that drive with it sounding like this.
My pads are fine, so I guess I need to pull the rotor and look in there. I do also notice that my seal has been leaking a little, but there is no play back and forth on the rotor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts