Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and if this is a old topic please point me in the correct direction.

I have a 06 with 8000 miles and love it "BUT" the transmission will slip and let the motor rpm go to 6000 when you kick it in the but.

Normal driving is fine but if you tried to drag race it won't shift tell the motor is at 6000 for 4 to 5 seconds. I was towing my two snowmobiles and went to pass so the trans backshifted [passing gear] 6000 again . I f you take your foot off the throttle it will shift , but what the hell good is a trans that you can't kick in the but?

It has been to the dealer and you know that outcome " that's the way there made" B.S to that. Nissan doesn't have a tech support # to try and talk with someone that might be able to help. They tell me to take it to the dealer.

This is the worst trans in a truck i have ever seen . How do we fix this .:crying:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I feel your pain man:crying: I have the same problem sometimes. Possibly the torque converter? I dont know but its annoying. Maybe different fluid would fix the problem. mine holds too long at 6grand for me to feel comforatable running it up there all the time. any one with suggestions?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
4 to 5 seconds? You sure they are making sure you have enough fluid?
Mine revs when I punch it but within a second or two it "catches" on the downshift

Only time I have had an extended slip in any car was when I was losing fluid (radiator cooling lines). Check it out

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
yup, def check the fluid! Mine may get close to redline, but shifts quickly.

IMO the best trannyengine combo for any 1/2 ton truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went as far as dropping the pan and putting a fresh Nissan filter in it with "there" correct fluid.

These transmissions have "lock up converters" there not supposed to rev this high. We think it's a program issue meaning all the shift points are to high .

A torque coverter that slips is a stall converter [ drag racing ] a hemi car [ real one ] with a automatic 727 trans had a factory installed 2600 stall speed.

I have owned trucks from all the auto makers and not one of them spun the motor up against the rev limiter before it shifted .

Is it a line presure issue in the trans, meaning it's not high enough to keep the converter locked. These transmissions have 60 lbs of line presure , i have been doing my homework.

My turbo 400 in my drag car has 140 lbs line presure !

So i gather that this is a common problem with these trucks .

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The Titan will always rev to 6000 rpms at Wide Open Throttle. That is the programmed Red Line in the ECU.

That hesitation in shifts is Torque management. Programmed to keep the wheels from breaking loose and the transmission in mone piece.

Also the TCM will learn your driving a little. If you don't ever put your foot into it......the TCM to the transmission isn't programmed for that type of performance. The more you beat the TCM into the ground....the better it will shift to a certain extent.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
mach-z said:
I went as far as dropping the pan and putting a fresh Nissan filter in it with "there" correct fluid.

These transmissions have "lock up converters" there not supposed to rev this high. We think it's a program issue meaning all the shift points are to high .

A torque coverter that slips is a stall converter [ drag racing ] a hemi car [ real one ] with a automatic 727 trans had a factory installed 2600 stall speed.

I have owned trucks from all the auto makers and not one of them spun the motor up against the rev limiter before it shifted .

Is it a line presure issue in the trans, meaning it's not high enough to keep the converter locked. These transmissions have 60 lbs of line presure , i have been doing my homework.

My turbo 400 in my drag car has 140 lbs line presure !

So i gather that this is a common problem with these trucks .
According to the Titan service manual, it has 200 psi at 1500 rpms in drive,(see attachment). The parts manager told me, when I asked, that the Titan apparently does not have a trans filter as he could not find a part number. They replaced my trans at 60,000 miles, but I was rear ended when the truck was new and it ruptured the radiator and allowed coolant to get into the trans. It lasted 60,000 miles before it went out.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
bestatchess said:
I'm not understanding the filter replacement either. It appears to have just a screen. Do you have a part number?

http://www.pixagogo.com/2144255542

(see Valve Body 1 photo)
Apparently, Mach-Z cannot find the part number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry i didn't get back on here sooner ! It was a figure of speech when i said fluid and filter out of frustration . I just cleaned the factory one.

The shift points need to be dropped anyway you look at it. For those who will debate everything i talked to the Stillen company in respect to there valve body and what it does .

It kind of "sucks" that there isn't a exchange policy on the valve bodys and that it also cost $600.00 ,but the purpace of this upgrade is for this reason.

I'm going to do it when i pick up another puddle jumper for getting back and forth to work .

When i said it had 60 lbs of line presure that was at idel and that was straight out of the computer at the dealer.

I still can't get over the # of people including the dealer that think 6000 rpm is a good shift point and then it takes its sweet old time to shift .

I can't wait to do the valve body up grade !!!!!

The tech at Stillen also suggested the trans cooler upgrade and that it also helps in this area by keeping the trans kooler then the factory one.

I have noticed that the trans does shift well when it is cool .

·
Registered
204 Posts
if you not only watch your rpms but also your speedometer, youll see that yes it DOES hang at 6k for a few seconds, but all the while its still accelerating...if you dont want it to rev so high then dont hammer it so hard, get into it but not to the floor and she'll still pull away plenty quick without even sniffing the limiter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry but i'm a drag racer to the core ! When i tell it to shift it better and my last Dodge didn't have this shifting issue .

If infact this is how it is designed what is the point of it ?

What got me mad was when the wife and i needed passing gear in a hurry to avoid a accident and it did this . And yes it still gains speed when this is happening but at a very reduced rate [ limiter] .

I think that alot of you have become used to this and have forgotten what the seat of the pants pull feels like.

I love every aspect of this truck , towing , mileage you name it .

It will be intresting to see how everything changes with the valve body , i'm betting it will hurt mileage .

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
mach-z said:
Sorry but i'm a drag racer to the core ! When i tell it to shift it better and my last Dodge didn't have this shifting issue .

If infact this is how it is designed what is the point of it ?

What got me mad was when the wife and i needed passing gear in a hurry to avoid a accident and it did this . And yes it still gains speed when this is happening but at a very reduced rate [ limiter] .

I think that alot of you have become used to this and have forgotten what the seat of the pants pull feels like.

I love every aspect of this truck , towing , mileage you name it .

It will be intresting to see how everything changes with the valve body , i'm betting it will hurt mileage .
I dragrace also, and the titan has the best shifting trans I have ever had in a pickup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts