Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Altima. 59k miles. Runs like a dream, however it started skipping while standing at red light. I think to myself that maybe I should change the spark plugs. I pull the spark plug wire and its full of oil! I pull the second one and it too was full of oil, the last 2 were dry. I take it to the mechanic and he tells me that it would cost about $100 and told me some gasket failed. Is he right?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Valve cover gasket??

Reactions: cancer_researcher

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
2001 Altima. 59k miles. Runs like a dream, however it started skipping while standing at red light. I think to myself that maybe I should change the spark plugs. I pull the spark plug wire and its full of oil! I pull the second one and it too was full of oil, the last 2 were dry. I take it to the mechanic and he tells me that it would cost about $100 and told me some gasket failed. Is he right?
It sounds like your valve cover gasket is shot. I would get it replaced. If it was just a little bit of oil on the threads, it wouldn't be too much cause for concern. But, if it is full of oil, I would get it replaced soon.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Oil in the plug wells will cause the spark to short out.
Seen it many times on many old cars.
Get a new gasket for the hundred bucks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like your valve cover gasket is shot. I would get it replaced. If it was just a little bit of oil on the threads, it wouldn't be too much cause for concern. But, if it is full of oil, I would get it replaced soon.
Yeah, 2 were pretty much full, 2 were dry. I'll get it taken care of asap. Thanks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
the ka24 motor in that car is a beast! a lil TLC and it will last forever, i had a 99 altima and i sold it with 247000 miles on it....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would say that 2 were at least 10-15cc full of oil. When I tried to slide the plug wires back in the hole, it spit out oil everywhere! Yuck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the ka24 motor in that car is a beast! a lil TLC and it will last forever, i had a 99 altima and i sold it with 247000 miles on it....
Yeah, it runs great! We only have 59k miles on it. It's my wife's car. I was thinking about selling it to get her a new Camry or the newer Altima, but the thing runs so good that it would almost be sacrilegious to get rid of it.

I guess at ~60K, I should probably also change the tranny fluid too on it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That Generation of altima looks way better than a camry LOL

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was thinking about selling it to get her a new Camry or the newer Altima, but the thing runs so good that it would almost be sacrilegious to get rid of it.
We have a 2009 Altima 2.5s. I kind of regret not getting a fancier version but it does the job. We had a G35x we traded down for the Alti (buying a house) so its hard to compare the two.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I had a 2001 Altima also. I gave it to my mom when I got the T and it is still running like a champ at 140k miles.

When I had @ 54K miles on it, it did the same thing to me. I had a bad miss at idle which got worse until the CEL came on.

When I changed my Valve Cover Gasket for the Oil in the Spark Plugs it is a two part gasket. You have the one that goes on the cover itself and the second part goes on the sparkplug towers. You will see what I mean when you replace it. It is not difficult but that second gasket is a pain to keep it in place when replacing the cover.

While you are at it, replace the distributor O-Ring it is only $2.00.

Now this is the part you probably don't want to hear. After that I still had the engine missfire. It turns out that the Intake Manifold Gasket had Cracked in two places. If you search on Altima Forums, you will see that this was a big problem in the 2000 and 2001 Model Years. Nissan released a revision of that gasket made from a less brittle material. However I did not want to take the chance of it happening again so I bought the FelPro brand gasket. The intake manifold gasket kit is @ $50-60.
Here is the crazy part... the dealer wanted $940.00 for the labor.
Needless to say I told them to have a nice day and opted to do it myself.
It is about a 6-8 hour job (in the driveway)
Or you can probably get it done at a local mechanic for about $500 or so.

If you want to know for sure before you do anything, start the engine and if it is misfiring, spray some carb cleaner around the intake gasket with the engine running. If the misfire stops as the spray passes through the gasket and the idle momentarily becomes smooth then you will know for sure that you have a cracked or leaking intake manifold gasket.

After I did mine I never had another problem again. So to me it is worth the investment. Just my 2 cents...

Hope this helps.

BTW... If you were closer to me and decided to sell it I would have bought it from you in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a 2001 Altima also. I gave it to my mom when I got the T and it is still running like a champ at 140k miles.

When I had @ 54K miles on it, it did the same thing to me. I had a bad miss at idle which got worse until the CEL came on.

When I changed my Valve Cover Gasket for the Oil in the Spark Plugs it is a two part gasket. You have the one that goes on the cover itself and the second part goes on the sparkplug towers. You will see what I mean when you replace it. It is not difficult but that second gasket is a pain to keep it in place when replacing the cover.

Now this is the part you probably don't want to hear. After that I still had the engine missfire. It turns out that the Intake Manifold Gasket had Cracked in two places. If you search on Altima Forums, you will see that this was a big problem in the 2000 and 2001 Model Years. Nissan released a revision of that gasket made from a less brittle material. However I did not want to take the chance of it happening again so I bought the FelPro brand gasket. The intake manifold gasket kit is @ $50-60.

If you want to know for sure before you do anything, start the engine and if it is misfiring, spray some carb cleaner around the intake gasket with the engine running. If the misfire stops as the spray passes through the gasket and the idle momentarily becomes smooth then you will know for sure that you have a cracked or leaking intake manifold gasket.

After I did mine I never had another problem again. So to me it is worth the investment. Just my 2 cents...

Hope this helps.

BTW... If you were closer to me and decided to sell it I would have bought it from you in a heartbeat.
Wow! Thanks for all this amazing info! Really appreciated. A million thanks!

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
:::Clapping:::: Bravo Bravo..... What where the chances?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Hope this helps.

Hi, my problem with misfire seems to be Throttle Body Assembly. The mechanic sprayer some brake cleaner and it smoothed out. It wasn't at the gasket of the throttle body so it seems like I have to buy the whole assembly. Part # is 16119-9E067 which is at local stealership for $331.02, however AAANissan is selling it online for $238.33.
Any other online part source you guys may use where I could get it cheaper?:confused:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Further update: Did some more testing and it was not the throttle body. It turned out to me an intake manifold gasket instead! :( It's an $8 part, however the labor to change it will be around $400-$500! :(

What is beyond my comprehension is why do these car companies, when they design very nice reliable engines, end up skimping of crappy gaskets. Why not design and put on premium gaskets in the first place? With mass production, what would their cost increase be to put premium gaskets in instead of the cheap **** they put in? Another extra $1-$2? This really makes me sick. The car only has 59k miles. Mercedes too had a head gasket problem that affected the 95-97 E Class sedans which was a $2000-$3000 repair. Unacceptable! I think there should be a law that would require that gaskets be warrantied for lifetime. That would certainly change things in the car industry.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Further update: Did some more testing and it was not the throttle body. It turned out to me an intake manifold gasket instead! :( It's an $8 part, however the labor to change it will be around $400-$500! :(

What is beyond my comprehension is why do these car companies, when they design very nice reliable engines, end up skimping of crappy gaskets. Why not design and put on premium gaskets in the first place? With mass production, what would their cost increase be to put premium gaskets in instead of the cheap **** they put in? Another extra $1-$2? This really makes me sick. The car only has 59k miles. Mercedes too had a head gasket problem that affected the 95-97 E Class sedans which was a $2000-$3000 repair. Unacceptable! I think there should be a law that would require that gaskets be warrantied for lifetime. That would certainly change things in the car industry.

Yeah... Unfortunately that is what I thought from the symptoms you described.

I coudn't agree more this skimping on a gasket to save what?... 2cents per vehicle is completely unacceptable.

The only good news is that like I told you, once I did that repair, I never had another problem with the engine or idle again. 142000 miles on it now and still going.

Just make sure that when you get it done, use the FelPro brand gasket.
Nissan claims the updated OEM one is defect free, but I don't buy it...

Anyway good luck with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts