Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yeah...I was pretty pumped to find my BERK pipes waiting for me after work by my door until after getting them installed they both leak BAD from both ends. The left side (truck driving up your butt) fits fine but leaks on top of both sides and he right side pipe fits like crap and leaks VERY bad on top. Now, I do have an aftermarket magnaflow cat-back exhaust but I didnt have any problems with leaks while using my stock b-pipes and the same with the walkers I had to put back on. My $80 walkers fit better on the right side and I have ZERO leaks with both. I might try the install again with better gaskets if I some.

While I was under there I also notice the awesome job my local dealership did installing my new tranny 5-6 months ago. I wonder how long I've been driving around with no bolts back there... and if they even installed them to begin with.

The next picture is of my DTLT headers rusting...in florida.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Looks like that was the trans mount with the bolts missing. I think the Nissan metal gaskets would be a good choice and some exhaust gasket sealant.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Get some metal gaskets & rtv sealant. I had the same leaks til I did that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get some metal gaskets & rtv sealant. I had the same leaks til I did that.
Where at in your exhaust did you use the high temp rtv? I'd have to use it right at the end of the header and I know just a few inches above that, at the O2 sensor...the header gets 650+ degrees.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Wurth Exhaust Assembly Paste

Exhaust Assembly Paste. Soft paste for fast, easy and totally gas tight sealing of flanges and sleeve fittings in the exhaust system.
No welding necessary.  The paste cures as hard as metal with exhaust heat.  Seals permanently. Shock and vibration resistant.
Prevents corrosion in joints making for easier disassembly in the future. Sets with exhaust heat. Temperature resistant up to approximately 1292° F

WURTH Exhaust Assembly Paste - 140g | SUPREMEPOWER
WURTH Exhaust Assembly Paste - 140g Retail: $15.95
Our Price: $14.35

Wurth Products
Wurth Exhaust Assembly Paste - 140g - $18.95

Würth Exhaust Assembly Paste
Würth Exhaust Assembly Paste
Item No.: 42817
Price: $15.95

Wurth Exhaust Assembly Paste
Porsche 914 Exhaust Pipes - Page 2
WRTH-100045 $16,95
Wurth Exhaust Assembly Paste, 140 gram tube [More Info]

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Where at in your exhaust did you use the high temp rtv? I'd have to use it right at the end of the header and I know just a few inches above that, at the O2 sensor...the header gets 650+ degrees.
Used mine at the flanges. Is yours leaking somewhere other than that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Damn, the tranny bolts being left out is kind of a big deal.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Forgot to post the rust picture...
The rust could be from the outside bro. Not from under the coating, that carbon steel flange in that picture will make surface rust on the header coating, its called "Contamination".
Look at the top of the header in the same area the pic was taken and see if there is any rust up there also.
I'll have to check mine tonight been driving up here in the SNOW AND SALT!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not even sure metal gaskets and some kind of RTV will even seal it up. My friend who was instaling that side said the gap on the top side of the header flanges was good on the bottom but the top had a gap the thickness of a nickel.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Not even sure metal gaskets and some kind of RTV will even seal it up. My friend who was instaling that side said the gap on the top side of the header flanges was good on the bottom but the top had a gap the thickness of a nickel.
Something is bent then. Sometimes it feels like a bigger gap than it really is too. Take a pic & post it up. Try 2 seals & rtv if its a big gap.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
This is the issue I see, you should not need to buy RTV and gaskets to fix a problem with these pipes (how much did you pay again?). They should fit perfectly, just like the $90.00 OEM replacement ones I purchased.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
This is the issue I see, you should not need to buy RTV and gaskets to fix a problem with these pipes (how much did you pay again?). They should fit perfectly, just like the $90.00 OEM replacement ones I purchased.
Provided the headers and exhaust he purchased are exactly the same as the factory manifolds and exhaust piping with regard to fitment angles and so on I would tend to agree but the question is, are they?

If I had a set of NISMO headers and NISMO exhaust and had a fitment issue as described, I would tend to be a bit less forgiving in my assessment of the product with regard to fitment, but when you utilize three different manufacturers for exhaust components and the manufacturers are all working with three different sets of jigs for flange angle and so on, then fitment can easily become an issue, particularly with 1/2 inch flanges.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Time to get the grinder out if the gap is .060 on one end of the flange.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Provided the headers and exhaust he purchased are exactly the same as the factory manifolds and exhaust piping with regard to fitment angles and so on I would tend to agree but the question is, are they?

If I had a set of NISMO headers and NISMO exhaust and had a fitment issue as described, I would tend to be a bit less forgiving in my assessment of the product with regard to fitment, but when you utilize three different manufacturers for exhaust components and the manufacturers are all working with three different sets of jigs for flange angle and so on, then fitment can easily become an issue, particularly with 1/2 inch flanges.
totally agree, I am assuming (which is not good) that he still has the stock manifold's in which case these B pipes should fit without issue for the amount of money spent.

Reactions: Papa_D

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
soooo... Use the OEM metal gasket at the headers connection and stack the provided gasket behind it... now I will take a stab and guess it is the B pipe exit end that has the gap... in which case the cat back piping is probably off as well... maybe disconnect the exhaust system hangers to allow the pipe to realign while connecting the flanges, then re-hang them... of course there may be the minute possibility that this particular set was welded by a cross-eyed coke bottle wearing employee with twitching nerves and didn't get the flanges on at a 90* angle...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I need to reinstall the passenger side pipe again this weekend when I have more time. It is hitting my cat-back pipe but I'm not sure how bad. I just didnt see it being a problem...after all, it mated up with my OEM manifolds and b-pipes just find. Maybe the DTs are messing it up...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts