Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read review after review after review on this truck and they were all great which is why I purchased my Titan. In all those reviews they kept going on about how good the Fender system is. I must say Im not impressed at all. Is there any adjustments besides the very basic bass, treble, balance and fade? I cant find any sub adjustment or center channel adjustment.

When the balance and fade is set to center or "0" the system is still very heavily favored towards the front speakers to the point where sitting in the back it sounds rather odd. I have to have the bass adjustment almost to the max to get any sort of decent bass. Are there some hidden adjustments some where I havent been able to find?

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
From what I've been able to find, we are stuck with the basic audio adjustments. If you are anything like me, most stock systems are going to be substandard. An audio system should favor the front since this is where the "sound stage" is. Your best bet for more control would be going with an aftermarket sub, amp and maybe EQ.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've been able to find, we are stuck with the basic audio adjustments. If you are anything like me, most stock systems are going to be substandard. An audio system should favor the front since this is where the "sound stage" is. Your best bet for more control, would be going with an aftermarket sub, amp and maybe EQ.
Well that sucks. Im not interested in performing surgery on the stock system just yet. Ive only had the truck a week lol. Maybe further down the road. Was hoping there were some settings somewhere I was missing. Oh well I'll make due for now

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Yep that's why I'm doing too. Only had mine a month. I have to wait until the newness wears off. Not like when I was younger - buying $500 car and installing a $3000 system lol!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I mess with the truck settings and then mess with the equalizer on Spotify and that has helped my sound

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agreed on it sounding like a concert with all of the sound coming from in front of you even in the front seats. I was looking for a fader and only saw a left/right fade and nothing about front to back. Guess I'll have to look again.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,377 Posts
Have you tried dialing down the bass? Most people think that a good system has to be heavy on the bass but I'd rather have a complete range of frequencies and not just obnoxious bass. If you're driving up the bass, the rest of the sound range is going to seem suppressed. I actually find that most systems try to dial in loud bass and can't do the mids and highs to save their life.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
The Rockford was the pretty much same. But, it was a great unit. You could use the outputs as line level to directly drive amps and speakers and it sounded great with keeping the stock interface, which is more important now a days....

·
Registered
428 Posts
I mess with the truck settings and then mess with the equalizer on Spotify and that has helped my sound
I've got the RF in my '15, which if they didn't throttle the power down from the factory is not a bad unit, although the GPS is lame. I use Samsumg music app and play all my own music via Bluetooth from my phone. I've got virtually all my CDs on my SD card and with the adjust-ability of the apps equaliser, fine tuning the sound works pretty well.
Added pluses, no infernal chatter from radio DJs, picket fencing from satellite or changing CDs while driving. I just put it on shuffle and enjoy the tunes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That's usually one of the bullet points when I select a vehicle (ability to swap out stereo). I have already been checking this out too on the 2nd gen Titans, maybe to upgrade next year to a 2020-2021.
But, that's one thing I absolutely hate on the Pathfinder is that the stereo SUCKS but can't change it out to aftermarket due to it controlling so much in the truck. It's the better half's , so i don't drive it daily (or every 3 months these days, lol).

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you tried dialing down the bass? Most people think that a good system has to be heavy on the bass but I'd rather have a complete range of frequencies and not just obnoxious bass. If you're driving up the bass, the rest of the sound range is going to seem suppressed. I actually find that most systems try to dial in loud bass and can't do the mids and highs to save their life.
See this isnt user error as your implying. Problem is (as I stated earlier) there isnt a complete range of frequencies or mids and highs to adjust. All I got is treble and bass. 95% of what I listen to is rock and the bass being set at anything shy of 3/4 of the max range sounds horrible and sounds like no bass at all. The bass drum is one of the most important parts of a rhythm section and I'd like to hear it lol!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
See this isnt user error as your implying. Problem is (as I stated earlier) there isnt a complete range of frequencies or mids and highs to adjust. All I got is treble and bass. 95% of what I listen to is rock and the bass being set at anything shy of 3/4 of the max range sounds horrible and sounds like no bass at all. The bass drum is one of the most important parts of a rhythm section and I'd like to hear it lol!
So turning down the bass doesn't make the other frequencies sound fuller? I asked because I feel that the Titan's stereo is bass heavy to begin with and some people may think that they need to crank up the bass as they do with most other units. Like I stated earlier, I'm ok with a little bass here and there, but I prefer the fullness of the whole range. One of the reasons I like listening to records is that the sound just seems more complete that an MP3.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So turning down the bass doesn't make the other frequencies sound fuller? I asked because I feel that the Titan's stereo is bass heavy to begin with and some people may think that they need to crank up the bass as they do with most other units. Like I stated earlier, I'm ok with a little bass here and there, but I prefer the fullness of the whole range. One of the reasons I like listening to records is that the sound just seems more complete that an MP3.
Oh no! I didnt realize I was having this discussion with someone that thinks vinyl sounds better than everything else. I know better than to go down that road. Id rather have an oil discussion or a Ford vs Chevy debate then talk about vinyl. Good day to you sir. I'll figure out my stereo shortcomings on my own thanks :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Oh no! I didnt realize I was having this discussion with someone that thinks vinyl sounds better than everything else. I know better than to go down that road. Id rather have an oil discussion or a Ford vs Chevy debate then talk about vinyl. Good day to you sir. I'll figure out my stereo shortcomings on my own thanks :ROFLMAO:
Millenialsezwhut

·
Registered
427 Posts
I really like the Bose system my buddy has in his Trailboss, it sounds really good and I may like it slightly better than my own Fender, and I don’t think those have a dedicated subwoofer, that maybe the only thing I’m jealous of from his truck, and how smooth his transmission shifts off the light.

·
Registered
2019 Titan PRO-4X
243 Posts
Well, I think this is a funny story. About six months in, my "Fender" center speaker got that all too familiar crackle. I called the dealer to see if I'd get lucky enough for them to replace it. Of course, I got the no I expected but bring it in for us to see if it's a loose connection. Every website I read indicated that a loose connection is usually the issue. Took it in and told no loose connection. You blew the speaker sir was the expert opinion received. We can order one for you. That's when the sarcasm switch went off. So, you're telling me "Fender" can do rock concerts in stadiums but not the cab of my truck. I'm old pal, but the music is never too loud. If it's supposed to go to 11, it better go to 11. The look in his eyes told me all I needed to know. Now I realize the "Fender" is just branding on a very cheap set of speakers, but some times I just use my sarcasm to entertain myself. I left and went shopping on Crutchfield. Found a great set of speakers and replaced them all. Now it's much louder and much more clarity.

All that to say, if you're thinking about, do it. It was totally worth it to me, but it really wasn't too awful expensive.

PS: The speaker wasn't blown. Loose connection was the culprit. Doubt they even looked at it. Replaced it anyways.

·
Banned
217 Posts
I'm not particularly impressed with it either and not being able to adjust the subwoofer output is a real Downer. There's plenty of bass, sometimes too much.
If you're not getting enough bass maybe the subwoofer under the passenger seat is not connected or broken. I find I have plenty if not too much low range bass but what I am missing is the mid-range or lower mid-range bass which gets drowned out by the real low range stuff.
Also the total volume is a little low sometimes.
Prior to this I had an 04 Jetta that had the top-of-the-line monsoon stereo and that I swear was better than this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If your really into blasting the music or an audiophile, I guess it isn't adequate. Personally I think it sounds great and I turn it up pretty loud sometimes. Of course I'm getting older than dirt so maybe my hearing is shot. o_O. Oh well, I like it just the way it is.

·
Registered
2019 Titan PRO-4X
243 Posts
If your really into blasting the music or an audiophile, I guess it isn't adequate. Personally I think it sounds great and I turn it up pretty loud sometimes. Of course I'm getting older than dirt so maybe my hearing is shot. o_O. Oh well, I like it just the way it is.
True. Really is personal preference. Vinyl records have a cult following for just that reason. I was fine with mine until the speaker issue. Probably wouldn't have upgraded if the dealer had been honest.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Well, I think this is a funny story. About six months in, my "Fender" center speaker got that all too familiar crackle. I called the dealer to see if I'd get lucky enough for them to replace it. Of course, I got the no I expected but bring it in for us to see if it's a loose connection. Every website I read indicated that a loose connection is usually the issue. Took it in and told no loose connection. You blew the speaker sir was the expert opinion received. We can order one for you. That's when the sarcasm switch went off. So, you're telling me "Fender" can do rock concerts in stadiums but not the cab of my truck. I'm old pal, but the music is never too loud. If it's supposed to go to 11, it better go to 11. The look in his eyes told me all I needed to know. Now I realize the "Fender" is just branding on a very cheap set of speakers, but some times I just use my sarcasm to entertain myself. I left and went shopping on Crutchfield. Found a great set of speakers and replaced them all. Now it's much louder and much more clarity.

All that to say, if you're thinking about, do it. It was totally worth it to me, but it really wasn't too awful expensive.

PS: The speaker wasn't blown. Loose connection was the culprit. Doubt they even looked at it. Replaced it anyways.
What speakers did you buy to replace stock ones?

Reactions: gpzbc
1 - 20 of 32 Posts