Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been reading throughout these forums the past couple of months or so and have been researching the Titan since October....in the process of selling my camaro so I can buy my Titan. However I seem to see a lot of complaints about technical problems with the truck.......?? (i.e. welding issues behind rear window, plastic parts falling off, rattling, 4wd problems, outside goo(?) between cabin and bed, etc.) I want to make a good decision on this..If I am gonna spend roughly $30,000 on a brand new truck, it better not have a plethora (sp) of issues. Now I understand that it is possible for brand new vehicles to have issues their first year of release. And it could be that these issues are very isolated when compared to how many Titan owners there are across the U.S. But, other question is.....is Titan's closest rival, the new F150, being reported with as many issues?? I am really wanting some highly qualified responses...Even though I am die-hard in love with the Titan, I would rather settle with a truck that is not being plagued by consumer reports of bad issues. Please advise. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I think the best way to answer that is to say that the Ford has been around for many years and they have 'most' of their bugs worked out while the Titan has been around for less than 6 months. Since Nissan's come standard with a 3 year warranty, I see no problem buying one and letting them fix whatever turns up as a defect.

The people here are posting issues as they are seeing them. I have heard that there have only been 10,000 Titans sold as of mid-February. How many Fords have been sold in the past 40 years?

There are going to be some problems with a new model as well as a completely new factory that is producing them. Still I am comfortable with the issues. When I compare the two vehicles side by side, there is no comparison - the Titan wins hands down. Drive both, compare them apples to apples and buy the one you think will make you happy.

Remember the old saying: FORD stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. It didn't get that nickname by being perfect every time. While I am sure there is also a nickname for Nissan's as well, I don't think it is related to having to fix or repair on a regular basis to keep them running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
rrumaner said:
I think the best way to answer that is to say that the Ford has been around for many years and they have 'most' of their bugs worked out while the Titan has been around for less than 6 months. Since Nissan's come standard with a 3 year warranty, I see no problem buying one and letting them fix whatever turns up as a defect.

The people here are posting issues as they are seeing them. I have heard that there have only been 10,000 Titans sold as of mid-February. How many Fords have been sold in the past 40 years?

There are going to be some problems with a new model as well as a completely new factory that is producing them. Still I am comfortable with the issues. When I compare the two vehicles side by side, there is no comparison - the Titan wins hands down. Drive both, compare them apples to apples and buy the one you think will make you happy.

Remember the old saying: FORD stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. It didn't get that nickname by being perfect every time. While I am sure there is also a nickname for Nissan's as well, I don't think it is related to having to fix or repair on a regular basis to keep them running.
Nice looking truck. Just curious, behind the rear seats, is the "barrier" between the seats and cab felt covered looking cardboard (like a saw in the King cab versions)? I like the truck, but saw some things like that which, to me, seemed like "cutting corners". But, like you say, buy the one that makes you happy. Again, nice truck :hi:

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
"I would rather settle with a truck that is not being plagued by consumer reports of bad issues."

O.K., that leaves out Ford, Chevy, and Dodge.

So you have narrowed it down to Nissan and Toyota?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would still buy the Titan, I still love driving the thing and can't get over that fact. Yes, my big issue is the seat belt and stereo cut-out but I think both will be fixed soon.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deepwater said:
When I was looking for a new truck I was looking at the new ford f150 2004. I've had a few them and still do have one. Ford has PROBLEMS, the truck I still have has been good. But it has had it share problems also. Back in July of last summer I read on Ford Truck Word web site that ford had some major problems with the FRAME CRACKING! Due to welding support bracs. to the frames. They had pics of over 30,000 trucks being stored in VA. They had to find a very big spot to keep these and pay gards to watch them. It was all over the web! It's been my experence that ford tends to rush their trucks to market, There was also a TON of othere issuse as well. Do your homework! I've owned a lot of new fords, and theres no ? The NISSAN is hands down the better TRUCK. But you got to drive them for yourself! Just my thoughts. :)
Oooh, I did test drive it...WOW...it is a superb truck, and I loved it. I definitely know that for sure. I am still intent on getting my Titan of course; just want to look at it from every angle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just a note about Consumer Reports and their ratings, which I trust and use when looking at cars. The Ford F150 2WD is actually rated as better than average reliability 6 out of the last 8 years, and average the other 2 years. The 4WD model is rated better than average 4 of the last 8 years, and average the other 4 years. The Silverado rates average and below average (evenly split) and the Dodge Ram mostly below average.

Reliability-wise, Toyota (of course) is the most reliable full-size truck, with the F150 second, per CR. I seriously considered the F150 (the Tundra didn't have the tow capacity I needed). The Titan, IMHO, won in the test drive category and had more features for less money when comparing invoices prices. Having owned an '88 Pathfinder for 4 years, I feel pretty confortable with Nissan's quality.

Of course evey new production model has some "issues", but I think they will be minor in nature. I agree that if you don't need the truck now, wait until the Fall for an early '05. My $.02.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ok man, I think you're taking this way out of context. You're taking problems that one individual had, then from another individual and then from yet another indifvidual and summing them all up into one big problem on one truck. All of the people here who mentioned they had a problem didn't have every problem that was listed. Me personally, I don't have a single problem with my truck. My truck is the badest, most well built machine I've ever owned! There is nothing else I would even halfway consider over my Titan. Period.

Howie Kaluha said:
Well, I have been reading throughout these forums the past couple of months or so and have been researching the Titan since October....in the process of selling my camaro so I can buy my Titan. However I seem to see a lot of complaints about technical problems with the truck.......?? (i.e. welding issues behind rear window, plastic parts falling off, rattling, 4wd problems, outside goo(?) between cabin and bed, etc.) I want to make a good decision on this..If I am gonna spend roughly $30,000 on a brand new truck, it better not have a plethora (sp) of issues. Now I understand that it is possible for brand new vehicles to have issues their first year of release. And it could be that these issues are very isolated when compared to how many Titan owners there are across the U.S. But, other question is.....is Titan's closest rival, the new F150, being reported with as many issues?? I am really wanting some highly qualified responses...Even though I am die-hard in love with the Titan, I would rather settle with a truck that is not being plagued by consumer reports of bad issues. Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
The problems people have reported here are nothing compared to all the major engine problems GM is dealing with, resulting in lots of lemon-law buy-backs, motor replacements, etc. The Tundra was just too small inside (and the Tundra forums are filled with brake issues) for me, and I could never buy a Dodge or Ford.

Nissan may have some problems with interior plastic bits, but have they even built a bad motor?

As for the piece of cardboard behind the rear seat on the KC, so what? I bought my XE to be a pickup truck, not a luxo kid-hauler.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree that you have to take a step back when reading discussion boards because people, by nature, come to these boards to find solutions to problems. So, you tend to hear more about the problems and can get a skewed perspective. Don't forget that there's a ton of people on this site who can't say enough great things about their trucks!!!!!

Looking at past reliability, Nissan is up there on the scale, so it makes sense that the Titan will be good, too!

I, for one, am pretty excited about owning this truck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Galaxy 4x2 LE/KC. Absolutely no problems, no gripes no concerns ahh.. but I’m only on my second tank. I hesitantly had to purchase a truck, trade in daily commuter was an incredibly reliable BMW 330ci & I wasn’t really looking forward to replacing. Knowing Nissan track record, realizing the innovations & that the Titan has an incredible motor I was sold. I’ve owned Ford, Chevy, Mitsubishi, Toyota & BMW & the Titan fit my bill better than the competition. If the Titan fits your criteria I think you would be doing yourself a disservice by not seriously considering. I don’t really buy into the “don’t by the 1st year philosophy anymore”. Considering the manifold of computer generated testing that is available for new car production the data generated probably greatly exceeds real world testing of yesterday. Issues that present themselves may be contributed to assembly line & product control & this is still in discovery & continually improved & adjusted accordingly. Consumer Reports seldom represents my demographic but I do trust their reliability ratings. Consider the silent majority, until now I was one, but you are now on notice “I’m satisfied that I made the right purchase & did consider the competition.”

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Let me just say that I used to own a Tundra...a second year one at that 2001. It had its fair share of problems and cost cutting. Specifically I had the front brake rotor warping within the first 35k miles, horrible dash squeek that the dealer couldn't fix, strange gear hunting in the transmission at certain speeds, etc. Yes this was a second year truck too. Toyota also cut costs in the way too hard dash plastic, drum brakes in the rear, etc. Additional problems that Tundra owners (not me) had were things like misaligned beds, and misaligned drive shafts. So even the most reliable brands still have some minor problems and QC issues. I can live with a few problems. However, what I see with both the Tundra and the Titan I now have, is that the manufacturers build some of the best and most reliable drivetrains out there. Would you rather have problems with a squeek or rattle or engine/transmission problems (i.e. Ford, Dodge, Chevy)??? Think about that.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Titan's rock solid, no more Ford trucks for me

This is my third full-size truck that i've owned. i've had two F-150s and a Nissan mini truck (a 720 KC 4wd).
I've driven and observed a few more pickups.
I bot the Nissan, betting on Nissan's reliability and the test ride.
was a nice bonus that my wife is happy with titan, also

now i got to figure out what to replace the Wrangler (seat only 2+2, bad gas milage: 8~13 actual mpg) with, for my wife (mostly). perhaps the $21K '04 Honda EX CRV (seats five & room for dog, 22-26 EPA mpg)....or may be the Xterra, but cost almost as much as Titan and gets nears as bad epa mpg.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Howie Kaluha said:
Go to this link and type in the info for a 2004 Titan and then 2004 F-150. By the way... you should be sitting down with sometime on your hands before you check the Ford.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm

·
Registered
740 Posts
pluckyew said:
This is my third full-size truck that i've owned. i've had two F-150s and a Nissan mini truck (a 720).
I've driven and observed a few more pickups.
I bot the Nissan, betting on Nissan's reliability and the test ride.
was a nice bonus that my wife is happy with titan, also

now i got to figure out what to replace the Wrangler (seat only 2+2, bad gas milage: 8~13 actual mpg) with. perhaps the $21K '04 Honda EX CRV (seats five & room for dog, 22-26 EPA mpg)....or may be the Xterra, but cost almost as much as Titan and gets nears as bad epa mpg.
My wife has a 2003 CR-V and loves it. I will be getting a Titan whenever Nissan Canada can stop losing them! I am very happy with this set-up of vehicles

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi keanne

You say your truck is lost again? Bummer! My rep from the local dealership went to Georgia for a week and stopped in at a small Nissan dealership, said they had 12 units on the lot. I read a post somewhere here that said that a dealer had 60 units on the lot! We can't get those numbers here! He said that he had a client that wanted a white Titan so he had to deal from Vancouver to Hamilton to Toronto to North Bay! Unreal, hope yours is in soon!

Campsmoke :cheers:

·
Registered
740 Posts
campsmoke said:
Hi keanne

You say your truck is lost again? Bummer! My rep from the local dealership went to Georgia for a week and stopped in at a small Nissan dealership, said they had 12 units on the lot. I read a post somewhere here that said that a dealer had 60 units on the lot! We can't get those numbers here! He said that he had a client that wanted a white Titan so he had to deal from Vancouver to Hamilton to Toronto to North Bay! Unreal, hope yours is in soon!

Campsmoke :cheers:
Check a new thread I started.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts