Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how we doing, i have an issue with my titan and need some advice.

First off my truck is named ZEUS and is an 05 titan CC 4x4 Off road package, loaded, AEM brute force cold air intake, 4" Banks "Monster" exhaust system with 5 inch tip, 2 inch leveling kit with 315/70/15 Mastercraft AXT's. truck has 69xxx miles.

ok now this has me puzzled, i am very mechanically inclined by the way.

So at first COLD start up there is no noise what so ever, nice smooth and clean sounding every time. After it gets to operating temp. a loud ticking noise comes from the back of passenger side of motor...or so it sounds. There is no power loss, or problems with fuel economy. runs excellent 100% of the time. but the tick is VERY loud. i can hear it over my exhaust at idle, and my exhaust isnt by any means quiet.

Oil Pressure is always just over halfway and over 3k rpms (which is rarely do) pressure increases slightly. but after warmed up while at IDLE in DRIVE, pressure sometimes drops between half and quarter line, but if i tap gas it shoots back past halfway, does not do this in any other gear. but when it does if i pump the breaks a couple times it goes back up. Absolutly no Smoke either from exhaust.

Now a little about the tick....its a very loud Tick, tick, tick, thats sounds fast and does NOT get faster with rpm, while driving the exhaust makes it so i cant hear it, then when it drops below 2k rpm you can hear it again.

This is what Ive checked so far

-opened timing covers and ran it, nice and tight plenty of oil rolling through

- i took off the serpentine belt and it made the tick non consistant and much quieter but it was still there somewhat. All pulleys spun great no sounds. the tensioner pulley was slightly wobbly, but was unable to create a ticking sound with it, and tensioner and belt go smooth when running, no wobbling.

-Put belt back on, and ran it. checked underneath truck, in wheel wells trying to pinpoint noise. i opened up the oil cap and put my ear to it and it definatly sounded like it was under the valve cover...but i used a screwdriver as a stethascope and it wasnt that nois, fuel rails sounded louder with that method, but listening in oil cap it sound like inside valve cover.

-Removed valve cover and noticed the wire harness, where the connector for furthest plug back had a ground wire comming from harness that went to nothing, it had been cut. there was a ground right below valve cover that was hooked up.... ive read about the ground fix not sure if this is the case

-Started truck with pass. valve cover off....the ticking doesnt seem to be coming from valve terrain and was very clean inside. none of the cam lobes had any defects, nor did the valve caps. it sounded like fuel rail so i disconnected each injector one at a time and none made a difference with the tick. And all injectors look clean and are dry.

the ticking is really bad, turns heads a stoplights and people look, but like i said it drives excellent and has no power loss what so ever

Hope i was specific enough, and hopefully someone can help me out. i do have an extended warrentee good for another 21K but i have to brng to dealership thats 2 hours away and i have no way to get home, so im trying to see if theres something i can do because like i said im very mechanically inclined.

i have videos where i run with belt on and belt off and the tick is drasically different, just cant figure out how to upload cuz im using my desktop computer and videos are on phone

thanks

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Sounds like noisy lifters, pretty common in Titans, it does not negatively affect the truck at all. Mine sounds almost like a sewing machine, has been like that from day one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but what gets my is why would the sound drastically change when i take off the serpentine belt. thats what makes it so puzzling.....im trying to get my videos uploaded...

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
load them onto youtube and then link to them in the post.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting to see what comes out of this. It sounds like the tick is still kind of there in the second video as well. Just not nearly as pronounced. I just noticed the same (or similar) noise on my '08.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
That sounds like an exhaust leak. Smoke test it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about the exhaust as well, but then I read that a cracked manifold is heard most on cold start up and quiets down once warm.....mines complete opposite....cold starts it's smooth as can be, warm is when ticking comes

And also in second video I go to wheel well and I can hear the exhaust leak....I know it's cracked, but it's not what's making the tick

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Yep. Because you probably have a burned out gasket. Smoke test it.

·
Super Moderator
37,163 Posts
Smoke test it ... but

Also take a look at the plastic shroud around the fan and be sure that it's tight

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fan clutch was first thing I checked and shroud is solid around it...

I forgot to mention this as well I have a code for a crank position sensor. Truck will Bob a few hundred rpms when trying to kept it steady, but it has effected nothing else, I do plan to change that this weekend

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting to see what comes out of this. It sounds like the tick is still kind of there in the second video as well. Just not nearly as pronounced. I just noticed the same (or similar) noise on my '08.
I don't think my noise is caused by the cracked exhaust manifolds or gaskets. My manifolds were just replaced by the dealer (under warranty, thank GOD) 4 days ago.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Could be bottom end of engine
put the stethoscope on the oil pan.
Did noise and code happen at the same time?

If u don't know how it works u can't fix it.....Sent from my titan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No noise came before code and I did check oil pan, I hear faint ticking which I believe is normal but doesn't match the tick I'm worried about..

Dropped oil pan and she was clean, magnet have very minimal shavings, I was quite surprised.

Going to deal to get a nissan oil filter and go with royal purple 5w30......been running Castrol full synthetic 5w30 with a Bosch distance plus filter.

Also going to replace tensioner bearing and new belt and ground the black wire I found was cut...hopefully this can cure a little of it

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds very much like an exhaust leak. I personally would pull the heat shield from the passenger side manifold and check for cracks. I know the sound is still there when its warm but, you never know at this point. Usually these engines are pretty bullet proof. Mine at 90k miles now sounds silent at idle minus the injector tick these are known for. Thats a pretty distinctive sound coming from one side. I'm thinking the sound is lessened with the belt off because there is less of a load on the engine. Best of luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a worry rat....this is my second titan. My first one was a lemon and engine spun a bearing at 130k....I bought it with 129k....not impressed....I replaced motor and drove it another 25k before getting rid of it and I just fell in love....I love the titans inside and out....this is my 5th nissan and I love em

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now this is interesting....now I'm not sure if it should be like this, but with valve cover off the camshafts have a he in the middle to where it looks like you can put a wrench. The top cam was tight, couldn't move it, lower cam I could move a little bit without other cam moving.

Could this issue be a stretched timing chain?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Now someone may correct me if I am wrong but, I am pretty sure the cam chain tensioners work off oil pressure to regulate the pressure. So in theory the slack you are feeling is the lack of tension on the chain/outside cam (exhaust manifold side) if that makes sense. So without the engine running and oil pressure steady you'll have that slack. All the chain slack is always on the tensioner side. Hope this helps and is the issue you are experiencing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I put royal purple 5w30 with a nissan filter and I remember on my old titan the oil cooler leaked so I changed that as well.

First start up I could hear the timing chain chatter because the oil was through the engine yet, but within 3 seconds it went silent. The timing ticks were much faster ticks then what I normally hear so I assume it's not the timing chain..

After she warmed up the tick was there like normal. So I put my ear to everything. While I was under truck on pass. Side I tried to get my ear as close to the manifold as I could and what do you know. The sound is definitely coming from the manifold.

So the truck has only 69k so I am going to nissan dealer monday to have the manifolds replaced for free under the federal emissions act. If they deny me I'll just bring it to dealership I bought it from and use my warentee and will only cost 100 bucks for my deductable. Rather save that 100 bucks if I can.

Also I noticed when I rev it up the oil pressure moves to 3/4 anytime it's above 2500 rpm, in the lower rpms it says just above half....figure this is a good thing...first time ever using royal purple

1 - 19 of 19 Posts