Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've talked to a couple mechanics and they all want to charge me like $60 an hour to even look at my truck. I've read posts here on and off for a year or so and for the most part I'm convinced that you guys know what you are talking about. Having said that I'm hoping from the problems I'm having one of you might recognize what the problem is.

I have a 2005 Nissan Titan Texas 4x4. Within the last couple of months I've been hearing this strange noise. It sounds like it may be coming from the driver side front suspension area however I have only ever heard it while driving. It's a pretty loud noise and almost seems to get louder while stopping however it's present during normal driving as well. The rate at which I hear this noise seems to be consistent with the speed I am driving(slower when driving slower and faster when driving faster).

Does this sound like anything you guys have heard of before? I'm scheduled to drive 45 minutes to the dealership on Monday to get this ECM Relay Recall replaced and I started thinking maybe that isn't such a good idea with this noise.

I don't know a whole lot about my truck but I do know a fair amount about my 350Z so I am somewhat knowledgeable about the systems in place in that area of the truck.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
If it is a sort of slightly grating rotational noise that varies with speed, it may be the hub/bearing (which is a sealed integrated unit - you can't grease the bearings) or it could be a bearing in the front differential, which rotates even in 2wd as the hubs don't unlock. I had that noise on my 2004, I was sure it was the wheel bearing, but the dealer had a listening box where sensors are placed and the tech listens with headphones and switches between the sensors while the truck is driven, so they were able to isolate the noise source.

Another thing to look at is the condition of wear of your front brake pads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it is sort of a grinding somewhat. The noise happens without touching the brakes at all. The pads don't seem to be to badly worn.

Another thing I just noticed today is that the noise is slightly more prominent when the truck is in 4-wheel drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So today I got that relay recall replaced and they told me of another recall. A condenser fan. They also replaced that while I was there. I also had the look into this noise and they said it was from a U-joint. Does that sound right? They want $200 to fix it >.<

·
Registered
78 Posts
My gut says its the hub bearing. I just had one replaced on my 04 two weeks ago.

Merc

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Worn U-joints can make noise. Sometimes you can hear them click if you drive around at slow speed in a parking lot with the windows down. If you don't want to DIY, you might shop around at non-dealer shops as they are not hard to replace and the dealers tend to be expensive on part prices and labor. A Spicer U-joint is around $15 to $20, I think. There are two of them on the front drive shaft and two of them on the rear drive shaft. I think Spicer offers both greasable and non-greasable U-joints. The OEM joints are sealed (non-greasable).

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/K350-1-DSSP.pdf

Looks like 5-153X (greasable) or 5-785X (sealed) for the front and 5-178X (greasable) or 5-799x (sealed) for the rear. There are two U-joints on each driveshaft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bestatchess I really would love to DIY on this one but I've never done any U-joints before and I am not even sure I'd know where to start! Thank you for linking this part and all of the helpful information. Do you think that these Spicer parts are better than most?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got back from the dealer, been hearing a clicking noise from under my 2004 titan, intermittent, mostly when coming to a stop or pulling out. They said the drive shaft needs replaced?? Worn yoke and leaking fluid? 69,000 miles!! WTF Anyone else had this problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts