Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a nice 20' pontoon boat last week, it is a Sylvan with a custom trailer. I have a 2004 XE CC with nothing special about it. I went to the local O'Reilly's autoparts and bought the converter that takes the factory under the bumper 6 or 7 pin, whichever it is to a standard 4 pin trailer hookup. I hooked up the trailer and the brake lights and blinkers worked just fine. I was driving down the road to take the boat out for a test run when the ABS light, Brake light came on, and the speedometer quit working. I was looking for a place to pull over to check it out, when the truck engine started surging when i stepped on the gas...this really worried me, so I got off the road and started looking at stuff. The only thing I had done was plug in the trailer with the adapter. I check the trailer wiring harness, and it had a couple of bare wires on it, so I wrapped them up with some electrical tape, started the truck back up, and everything was back to normal.

I pulled the boat home without any more problems. I took the boat in for some service yesterday, and got it to the Marine shop just fine, not a single problem. When I started on my way to work after the drop off, the same thing re-occured without the trailer plugged in, it was at the boat shop with the boat. I stopped at railroad tracks for a train, and shut down the engine, and then restarted when traffic started moving again, and it ran just fine, and has since.

Anyone have ANY GODLY IDEA what could be causing this?!?!? I did rewire the trailer harness when I got home from the lake the first time it did this, so I know for a fact that none of the wires are grounding out in the harness.

PLEASE HELP!!:grunge:

·
Super Moderator
159,636 Posts
I'm having a hard time thinking that the issue is related to the trailer at all. I think the first thing I'd try is resetting the ECU. There are instructions here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well...I may have figured it out. After doing some reading of all the excellent posts on the towing forum, it looks like I did not have the relays installed for either brakes, or trailer lights. I just kinda thought that if the truck had the wire harness for the lights, it would have the relays. NOPE! I just ran to Courtesy Nissan (I live in the Dallas area) and picked up both the lights and the brakes, and will post what happens when I go pick up the boat here in an hour or so. Let's hope that the relays do it!

Oh, BTW, I really like your sig. That is one of the better sayings I have heard in years!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...It looks like the relays did the trick. I picked them up and installed in about 30 seconds :eek:)

I went and picked up the boat, and not a single problem. Let's hope it stays that way! I guess these modern computer controlled vehicles are extra finiky about what you plug into them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I'm quite happy about it as well! I am writing this from the marina on wireless Internet. No more problems, I drove about 20 miles, and not a problem!!

No, I don't have the Big Tow, I wish I did, but my boat only weights in at about 3000 lbs, that includes the trailer and fishing gear, so I suppose I really don't need it....yet! Next year it is a travel trailer, so I may need to look at a heavier duty Titan!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts