Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had your choice would you go with Napa High End Ceramic Front pads for $90 or OEM from nissan for 140?

Are there any pros or cons?

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I had Hawk ceramics on my 300M after the OEM semi-mets ate the rotors. The ceramics were awesome!

I just put Akebono ceramics on my Titan for $83.00 for the fronts. I tried to get the EBC pads, but apparently, they are impossible to get... Always out of stock, backorders not being filled.

I will say this, the OEM semi-mets scored the rotors enough to need to be turned. I noticed by looking at the pads, the metallic bits come loose from the pad as it wears and get dragged across the pad, hit a hard spot, and get embedded in the organic pad material, and forever after act like a piece of grit on a 60-grit sanding pad. THAT's what scores the schit out of the rotors.

Having lived with the beauty of ceramics, the hell of semi-mets, and seeing the damage to the pads and rotors, I'm a ceramics fan for life.

Besides, who the hell wants to pay twice as much for OEM pads as something that isn't as destructive? I believe the choice is simple. Mine sure was.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
I will say this, the OEM semi-mets scored the rotors enough to need to be turned. I noticed by looking at the pads, the metallic bits come loose from the pad as it wears and get dragged across the pad, hit a hard spot, and get embedded in the organic pad material, and forever after act like a piece of grit on a 60-grit sanding pad. THAT's what scores the schit out of the rotors.
Did you take this issue up w/ the dealer? Both my front rotors are scored, and I've only got 18K miles on my '06. I'm gonna take it to the dealer to see if they'll do anything. I hate having to turn the rotors at such an early stage.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
baseballfanz said:
Hey BB, where did you get the Akebono from?
TIA
I just got them through Tirerack. Only $77 for fronts. Came to $84.46 total with shipping. I was sick of dealing with the other online brake sites. Nothing but a runaround, and I had just bought tires from TR, so I gave them the sale. All the others were about the same price with free shipping, so it all worked out even anyway.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
BHMTitan said:
Did you take this issue up w/ the dealer? Both my front rotors are scored, and I've only got 18K miles on my '06. I'm gonna take it to the dealer to see if they'll do anything. I hate having to turn the rotors at such an early stage.
Nah. Every brake job should have the rotors "cleaned" with a slight turn. Just sets the new pads in better and without further damage to the rotors or premature wearing of the pads. Besides, for $12, it wasn't worth a day at the dealership......

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My OEM rotors are shot from the OEM pads as well, and just started the famous judder action.
I got dba rotors and Ake pads from TireRack, putting them on this weekend...Or maybe sooner...

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
I just got them through Tirerack. Only $77 for fronts. Came to $84.46 total with shipping. I was sick of dealing with the other online brake sites. Nothing but a runaround, and I had just bought tires from TR, so I gave them the sale. All the others were about the same price with free shipping, so it all worked out even anyway.
Thanks BB, just ordered some.:rockon

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Hope you clicked the Tirerack link from this site.. That way TT gets credit.

·
Registered
251 Posts
grnTitan04 said:
My OEM rotors are shot from the OEM pads as well, and just started the famous judder action.
I got dba rotors and Ake pads from TireRack, putting them on this weekend...Or maybe sooner...
Are you gonna be putting them on yourself? I also have a 4x4 and wondering how the installation differs (i.e. how to deal w/ the hub) from the 2x4 install. Any idea how to get the rotor off w/ the 4x4 hub?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
BHMTitan said:
Are you gonna be putting them on yourself? I also have a 4x4 and wondering how the installation differs (i.e. how to deal w/ the hub) from the 2x4 install. Any idea how to get the rotor off w/ the 4x4 hub?

Thanks...
The rotor is attached by two bolts from the back side through the caliper. The rotor has a hollow center that the hub passes through without fastening to it. Just remove the two bolts from the back (21mm socket and a LOT of muscle), and the caliper comes off the rotor and the rotor pops off the axle. You may need to bop it with a rubber mallot on the backside a bit if it doesn't come off right away, but there's nothing difficult about it. Oh, and FYI, mine's 4x4 too. :D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yes, I am going to do it myself. I bought an impact wrench to make sure I can get the Torque member bolts off ($9 clearance at Harbor Freight, SWEEEETT!)

Nothing special about the 4x4 install. I can take a few pics when I have it apart.

Here is the section from the Serv Manual, doesn't separate x2, x4.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the info on the 4x4 hubs... sounds simple enough I should be able to do it myself!! And yeah, add some pics when you can. Later!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
BHMTitan said:
Thanks for the info on the 4x4 hubs... sounds simple enough I should be able to do it myself!! And yeah, add some pics when you can. Later!
I posted the photos in a new thread so as to stop hijacking this one, sorry jrein.
Installed dba rotors akebono pads

1 - 17 of 17 Posts