Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have spent several hours searching without much luck to help me specifically. Any help is greatly appreciated.

First off, see truck in sig.

My truck has the 5 spoke 18's in silver with minor blemishes and G'year GSA's (that suck). Front tires are almost new, rear tires are almost bald.

I would like to change to an OEM Titan/Armada Rim with Michelin LTX M/S2's in the factory tire size.

I prefer chrome/shine-y to black.

I drive 30k+ miles/year.

So... The Questions...

1.) 18 or 20 inch? Weight difference with tires?

2.) Will all years Titan/Armada rims/factory tires fit my 04 4x2 without issues?

3.) I would like a set of 20" Chrome LE or Armada rims with 32" tall tires, but really do not want to take a hit mpg wise. Is this possible?

4.) The black chrome look of the Pro 4X rims look good also. I know there is a slight difference in backspacing. Will this cause an issue with stock size tires?

5.) Any other words of wisdom?

Oh, I would like to stay in the $1200-$1500 ballpark (~$400 rims, ~$800 tires). I also currently have TPMS, and would like to keep the feature.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Ok guys, I have spent several hours searching without much luck to help me specifically. Any help is greatly appreciated.

First off, see truck in sig.

My truck has the 5 spoke 18's in silver with minor blemishes and G'year GSA's (that suck). Front tires are almost new, rear tires are almost bald.

I would like to change to an OEM Titan/Armada Rim with Michelin LTX M/S2's in the factory tire size.

I prefer chrome/shine-y to black.

I drive 30k+ miles/year.

So... The Questions...

1.) 18 or 20 inch? Weight difference with tires?

2.) Will all years Titan/Armada rims/factory tires fit my 04 4x2 without issues?

3.) I would like a set of 20" Chrome LE or Armada rims with 32" tall tires, but really do not want to take a hit mpg wise. Is this possible?

4.) The black chrome look of the Pro 4X rims look good also. I know there is a slight difference in backspacing. Will this cause an issue with stock size tires?

5.) Any other words of wisdom?

Oh, I would like to stay in the $1200-$1500 ballpark (~$400 rims, ~$800 tires). I also currently have TPMS, and would like to keep the feature.

Thanks
Looks like for the $800 tire portion of the budget, you will need to go with the P265/70R18 M/S2. An 18 will look better anyway, especially with the stock height sidewalls. A 33" P275/60R20 M/S2 will cost you at least $200 more, (stock diameter is between 32.6" and 33" on SE's, LE's, and the 17's OR pkg. The old XE tires were 31.5".

Both of the M/S2 tires mentioned above are only about 41 pounds. Not sure of the OEM rim weight differences. The 17's are only offered in a LT version. They are about 12 pounds more, and also well over the $800 tire portion of the budget.

The 32" P275/55R20 is a $100 more than the 18, but is only a pound less. The lower overall gearing would likely eat any weight savings, unless the 20'" rims are much lighter, (which I doubt). On my Titan, 15 pounds more per corner equals a 1 mpg reduction in mileage.

Any of the OEM rims will work, as the backspacings are within like an 1/8 inch. I would look for a '04-'07 six spoke LE rim or one of the newer 18's, either with the TPMS sensors, or swap yours over. The ones I got from discounttiredirect worked fine when I bought a package from them. Had them programmed at a local tire shop.

You could also have your rims black chromed, and the older 5 spoke SE rims look good when painted black, so black chrome might look good on them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ride on the 18" GSA's I have now is kind of sloppy (wet traction,frankly traction period sucks). Is that a problem with the tire, or just a characteristic of the sidewall height?

I would prefer a stiffer (slightly) ride.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
It's the tire construction. I have 34's on 17s in a LT305/70R17 E and although they have poor wet road traction, especially before I had them sipped, they have very little sidewall flex in the many curves I drive on my commute.

If you went with a 32" on a 20, (if they had the same exact construction as the 33's), it is logical that you would have some less flex, which on some tire models might be noticeable, but maybe not on others. The ride would likely be more firm/jarring with a shorter sidewall, but for some roads it might not be noticed.

If you want a better chance for firmer sidewalls there's an 18 that is 33.2" in a LT275/70R18 E. This one weighs 12 pounds more than the P 18 and P 20 but, does have the GreenX low rolling resistance compound in the tread that the P sizes don't have. If you have your heart set on a 32", the LT275/65R18 E is 50 pounds.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually thinking of the Michelin LTX M/S2's in 275/65/R18 (non e- rated). Wouldn't that be the most fuel efficient due to weight, compared to the same height/brand/model tire on a factory 20?

Forgive me if my questions sound hard headed. I want to make sure I am understanding this.

Not to change the subject, but as a side bar, in your experience, will adding a true trac hurt highway efficiency/mpg?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I was actually thinking of the Michelin LTX M/S2's in 275/65/R18 (non e- rated). Wouldn't that be the most fuel efficient due to weight, compared to the same height/brand/model tire on a factory 20?

Forgive me if my questions sound hard headed. I want to make sure I am understanding this.

Not to change the subject, but as a side bar, in your experience, will adding a true trac hurt highway efficiency/mpg?
The non E rated tires will get better mileage due to their lighter weight. As mentioned earlier, 15 pounds more tire per corner on my Titan equals 1 mpg loss compared to my OEM tires, The next tires I got were 30 pounds more, (and about the same size), and I lost 2 mpg compared to OEM.

But the Low Rolling Resistance of the Green X version of the E load rated MS/2 probably helps counter the weight to some degree, (maybe by 30% at the most, I would guess, so 12 pounds difference becomes closer to 8 or 7.5 pounds, so only 1/2 mpg hit).

And since you also described the ride as sloppy, and asked about sidewall height, the E load rated tire is an obvious alternative. The better control of a stiffer sidewall, especially for towing, is why most guys run LT tires instead of the more economical P sizes.

The 32" P275/65/R18 weighs 2 lbs. more than the 32" P275/55R20, so it would depend on the weight differences of the rims. The OEM 20's are not necessarily heavier than your 5 spoke SE rims. If the OEM 20's are 2 lbs. heavier they'd be equal, but if they are lighter ...

But the 32.6" P265/70R18 should be slightly more economical than the slightly heavier, slightly higher rpm inducing, and 0.7" wider contact patched 32" P275/65R18.

Tru-Trac idk. Maybe one of the guys that has one will comment, or start a new thread on the subject.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the question becomes...Has anyone with factory 20's and a factory size tire (or really any research-able tire) weighed one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts