Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new here and trying to find some info that I think someone here might be able to help me with. I have a chance to pick up a Frontier OEM tool box (super cheap) with the utili track hardware. My 2010 Pro 4x Titan has the utili track in it already. The box (only) measures 56" across but I have no idea what the width with the track hardware for the box is. Can anyone tell me if the bed width of the Titan Utili trak is the same as the frontier. I could add a spacer block (to the box if necessary) to make up the difference if needed. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
nissanusa says the titan bed is 63.8 in wide. they say the frontier is 61.4.

that is only a 2.4in difference, or 1.2 inches per side. I am not sure how you could ad a spacer to it though.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
if you really needed, you can get the hardware to make it fit.
when i looked at my toolbox, you can take the rollers off, and add spacers but i don't know how stable it is going to bed, unless you use some solid steel spacers.
good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies so far. I measured the inside of the Utili Trak (inside distance between the rails) and it measures 60.5" (best I can tell). I thought the Titan OEM box had a spacer between the box and the rollers or sliders but I don't have one to look at to be sure. As I said I can pick this box up super cheap so, but I have to drive about 100 miles to get it, thus the questions. Ultimately I'd like to move the mounting points down (or up) so that the box sits below the bed rails thus the reason for the idea of using the frontier box. It would fit between the rails and could be mounted lower and still clear the wheel wells. Much like the Tonneau Mate box seen in this link
http://www.truxedo.com/tonneau_mate/land.php

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Frontier Box is slightly different (at least the one in the craigslist ad). I know that the OEM Titan box is square, but the pick of this seller shows the box as being the same style as the over the bed rail type of box only smaller. You are correct about the OEM Titan box, and I realize to mount it lower requires some fabrication. I do greatly appreciate your input.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
all you need to do to mount it lower is just drill new holes, and you can mount it lower.
i'm uploading pics as we speak, not sure how good they will be since it was bright as all hell outside.
my bos sits about 5.5 inches above the bed rail, and sits about 2.5 inches over the fender.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kewlkarim you are the man. Thanks so much for your efforts. the only way I am going to know for sure about this box I guess is to take a drive and have a lookey see.

I greatly appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey kewlkarim

I just got back to the house, sorry for the late reply. I picked it up for $50.00 (fifty dollars). The owner said they had it about a year and then sold the truck and put it in storage. All the hardware is inside the box not mounted at this time. I think I will be able to easily add a spacer (how much unknown yet) and move the wheels out to match the track. This box is about 19" deep. I want it to ride flush with the top of the bed rails but have room underneath the box for lumber and plywood (I'm remodeling my house) so I will in the coming weeks have one of my buddy help me remove about 4" or 5" off the bottom and weld on a new bottom.

Not as sturdy a box as I was hoping to get but probably strong enough. No plans to carry extra heavy tools etc.

thanks again for your help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try to get some pics up by weekend. In the middle of other projects and since I have to possibly fabricate some hardware it might be week end before that all happens.

going to try to look at it this evening for assembly and measurements.

thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can anyone tell me what this part does within the tool box assembly. Overall the whole thing is pretty simple I agree but I cannot for the life of me figure out what this part is for, the threads match the threads on the locking Knob, and there is no internal threads on the blocks so I assume this piece must go with the locking knob but I have no idea how.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I finally finished the tool box I started many moons ago but realized to day I had never updated this thread. So I'll do my best to update with some photos. I've always had a toolbox in every truck I owned in the past. Those trucks (chevy's and fords) were Extended cabs and had the 6.5' bed so losing 20"+/- was not that big of deal. Now I have a 2010 Pro4x CC and have a much shorter bed.

I still wanted a Toolbox but never have liked how they partially block the view out the back window. I have the util track system and got the bright idea that I'd like to have a toolbox that was easily removable (and sat even with or lower than the rear window) so when I needed the extra space it was easy to remove the box and leave it in the garage.

Additionally I did not want it to sit all the way down on the floor so that if the box was in place I could still pickup supplies for my home remodel. Additionally it needed it to be some what secure for those times when I need to lock things up.

I hunted for a very long time for a box that would fit between the utili trak thinking I might could fabricate up the roller system. I got lucky and found someone on Craigslist (gotta love CL) selling a Nissan Frontier OEM Toolbox. Best thing is that it was only $50.00. It was actually in near perfect shape.

I bought it, then began to experiment with building mounting brackets that would lover the toolbox below the rear window and still allow it to be removed from the truck easily enough. Thanks to the help of some buddies that have welding equipment we were successful. I did have to remove the lower portion of the box else the box would not go low enough. I cut off the original bottom and purchased some 1/8" aluminum plate and some 1"x1"x1/8" aluminum angle and riveted the new bottom to the existing box so that it was shaped similar to the OEM box. I needed that to clear the wheel wells.

I had seen a similar configuration on a Chevy pickup but they wanted $650, and Truxedo Makes something similar, not removable and is plastic based. I didn't feel secure locking up stuff in that box.

Hope this was not too wordy and it inspires others to be creative.

20121016_164659.jpg

20121016_164711.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts