Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering a CC LE with the big tow package and are the only trucks I have driven so far..however, the dealer has access to 2 with the big tow package but they have the off-road package. Is the ride that different with the off-road? I assume it's stiffer, but will I really notice a drastic difference and is there any gas mileage savings with the 17" tires? Just so you know...my driving is highway and in town and will not be off roading, but I must say I do like the wheels better. I am concerned about the ride difference. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Has anyone driven both trucks with and without the off-road package? Thanks again...great site.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Vman53 said:
I am ordering a CC LE with the big tow package and are the only trucks I have driven so far..however, the dealer has access to 2 with the big tow package but they have the off-road package. Is the ride that different with the off-road? I assume it's stiffer, but will I really notice a drastic difference and is there any gas mileage savings with the 17" tires? Just so you know...my driving is highway and in town and will not be off roading, but I must say I do like the wheels better. I am concerned about the ride difference. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Has anyone driven both trucks with and without the off-road package? Thanks again...great site.
The off-road package will not change your mpg since you are also ordering the big tow. Both packages give you the same rear-end ratio. The 17" tires won't give you any mpg savings either because they are higher profile so they have the same (or close) outside diameter as the 18" which are lower profile.

The ride probably is a little stiffer (maybe - but I don't know for sure as I haven't driven both) but the stiffer shocks will be offset a little by the higher profile tires.

I have read quite a few opionions where the people actually preferred the off road ride to the regular. Others will no doubt give you first hand impressions though!!!!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I originally wanted the SE crew cab with only 2 options. Big tow and popular power captain. There wasn't one within 100 miles of me in the color I wanted. The dealer down the street had one with the above but also had the the off road. I told him I wasn't interested in the offroad, but when he offered 3,000 off the sticker I took another look. After driving it I knew it was the truck for me. I haven't had it that long, but everyone comennts on how nice the ride is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Vman53 said:
I have driven both, and I have only had my truck for about a week, but shopped for nearly a month. I find the ride of an off road to be a little more bone jarring, and having the rear differential of the off road scared me, as far as mileage was concerned, so I ordered the SE, with no off road (I live in Illinois, not too many mountains to tackle) or big tow, since I have no interest in owning a boat. The ride of the 18" wheels do offer alittle more of a smooth ride, and the verdict on the mileage is still out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Off-Road with the Rancho shocks should be a little stiffer on the big bumps. I have driven the off road version on paved and dirt roads with a slesman wife and two kids and no one seemed to notice a real difference on those mild bumps. I think it is a matter of taste, some like a little "truckier" ride and some like a little softer ride, but I do not think normal passangers will notice a difference on normal roads.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Vman53 said:
I drove both, not a huge difference, ended up getting the Off Road. One think I noticed is that it handled abrupt dips (like the steep concrete rain troughs at some intersections) and speed bumps very nicely, without wallowing like some vehicles with softer suspensions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I bought my Titan a while back I test drove every single one the dealer had on the lot. I drove King Cab, Crew Cab, SE, LE, 4x2 and 4x4 etc.

The only real difference is the trucks with the offroad package have noticeably heavier steering and less body roll. I didn't find the ride any rougher but that's probably due to the taller tire profile.

I went with the King Cab, SE 4x2 Off-Road, Utility and Tow Packages. No regrets :thumbsup:

Cheers,
...Colin

·
Registered
780 Posts
off-road package is very useful

good shocks; under belly skid armor; good 33 x 11.3 tires; tow hooks,
all i want now are e-lockers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts