Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my second change yesterday. Got it good and warm and then let it sit on the ramps for a good hour before taking out the drain plug. Despite what the manual says, it's holding 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum and still is well below the "full" mark on the dip stick today. These motors must hold oil up in the heads for a good while after being shut down. DIY oil changes mean you can take the time to get ALL of the old oil out in a change. :)

·
Super Moderator
93,611 Posts
You will get better results from pulling the plug while the oil is hot, it doesn't give a chance for contaminants to set up in the engine. As far as oil capacacity, are you checking the oil level with the truck on an incline? You shouldn't be showing an oil level "well below the full mark" if you put in 7 quarts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, still hot to touch as it came out. Level was checked both yesterday and today on the level. I guess it just holds a lot. It took more than 6.5 quarts on the first change as well.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
When I change the oil and the filter, my truck takes 7.5 quarts.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Seems like most people are happy with 7 quarts to be filled. That's what I use, and have never been near low at oil change time.

An interesting thing to do, is get a Used Oil Analysis from Blackstone Labs for 22 bucks. It is sent as a PDF about 4 days after mailing in the sample. Very enlightening, with guidance provided by the lab, and old reports included for comparison in future reports.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I am a tight wad so I run 6.5 qts. and am happy with it being just a tad below the full mark. It's always on that mark. I try to change my oil at 3000 miles, but sometimes it makes it to 4000 or so.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
There is no reason to put more than 6.5 quarts, no matter what the dipstick shows. The dipstick is made cheap and the lines will be different from truck to truck. Put 6.5 quarts in there and then check the dipstick. Make a mark where the oil is and this will be your new full line. A extra half quart wont anything, but why. I would not put more than 7 quarts in, no matter where it is showing on the dipstick.

Reactions: matt20

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The magic number is 7.

·
Registered
22 Posts
6.5 qts. per the owners manual. On my truck this puts me exactly half way between the high and the low marks on the dipstick. 7 quarts is probably fine but I don't know that I'd go much more than that.....not only would it be a waste of money but you might start having some windage issues (parasitic power loss due to oil drag on the crank externals). Brian

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
No offense, but what makes some people believe they know more about how much oil these particular engines need than the engineers who built it. Like I said before the dipstick is for reference only. It is made cheap and can vary greatly from truck to truck. Go by the owners manual and you can't go wrong, true a little more won't kill the engine, but it isn't better than the correct amount.

·
Registered
779 Posts
6 3/4 quarts and my level is exactly on full after a change.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Learjet said:
6 3/4 quarts and my level is exactly on full after a change.
Run your truck for 10 minutes and let it cool down for 15 minutes then recheck it. It will be in the middle between low and high. That is the reason why 7 quarts is the magic number. If you put 7 quarts in and run for 10 minutes and let it cool down for 15 and recheck, oil is just at or below the high mark. Giving yourself extra oil is better then running low on oil for weeks without knowing it. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
helomech said:
No offense, but what makes some people believe they know more about how much oil these particular engines need than the engineers who built it. Like I said before the dipstick is for reference only. It is made cheap and can vary greatly from truck to truck. Go by the owners manual and you can't go wrong, true a little more won't kill the engine, but it isn't better than the correct amount.

Helomech, 6.5 quarts will put you in the middle once the oil has run through the engine. 7 quarts is ideal because it sits exactly at or below the high mark once the oil has run through the motor. I want protection for oil starvation so that is why I tell people 7 is the number. I use to a mechanic and still do it part time, but back in the days, I added more oil then the factory recommends for this particular reason. You don't want people comming back to you saying my engine blew up because you didn't put enough oil in it. People do not check their engine oil once a week like I do so it is a very good idea to ensure oil is at the high level then the low level. I don't know about you but I go by that oil dip stick and common sense. I've never met a mechanic that didn't go by the oil dip stick. It is pretty accurate. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen a car with a defective or inacurate oil dip stick. I'm sure that it can happen but I'll take my chances.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
I agree with Helomech. The manual says 6.5 quarts and it says to fill half way between the high and low mark, which also equals 6.5 quarts. No where does it say to fill to the high mark, although it probably won't hurt anything. In this case I just do what the manual says, hard to get into trouble when engine maintenance is done to factory specs.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
EVO8 said:
Helomech, 6.5 quarts will put you in the middle once the oil has run through the engine. 7 quarts is ideal because it sits exactly at or below the high mark once the oil has run through the motor. I want protection for oil starvation so that is why I tell people 7 is the number. I use to a mechanic and still do it part time, but back in the days, I added more oil then the factory recommends for this particular reason. You don't want people comming back to you saying my engine blew up because you didn't put enough oil in it. People do not check their engine oil once a week like I do so it is a very good idea to ensure oil is at the high level then the low level. I don't know about you but I go by that oil dip stick and common sense. I've never met a mechanic that didn't go by the oil dip stick. It is pretty accurate. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen a car with a defective or inacurate oil dip stick. I'm sure that it can happen but I'll take my chances.
What do you think more time and thought went into the engine capacity, or the dip stick? The dip stick is for reference only. It is no different than a gas gauge, it you put 400 miles on your truck and the gauge still reads full are you going to fill up or wait till the gauge reads empty? My truck doesn't use any oil in between oil changes. I agree that 7 quarts won't hurt anything, but the question was what is the correct amount of oil. And that is 6.5 quarts. The dipstick is not a exact measure. My dipstick has a mark that I put on it for the true full line with 6.5 quarts and after the engine has been run.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't mean to start so much of an argument with my original post. My point was that you get more oil out of the motor if you let it drain down longer after running. The manual says that the fluid capacities given are approximate. I think in a typical situation where you drove the truck in for service and the technician let it drain for two or three minutes, 6.5 quarts would fill it back up as some oil would be left coating parts up in the heads, etc. I see no signs of overfilling like foaming so it's all good. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
This will be my final post on this thread. :)

This reminds me of the time Dear Abby asked which way to hang the toilet paper! Half the people were wrong, half were right. Can you guess which were which?

Just put 6.5 qts in, or fill to the full line on the dipstick. Both come from the factory, so both are to factory specs! It isn't that critical, + or - 16 ozs (1/2 qt) isn't going to change the world of engine durability! A general rule of thumb is that + or - 10% is a safe operating range. Just remember to not be overly worried, and just enjoy the ride! :)

Reactions: tcolvinOH
1 - 20 of 23 Posts