Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done changing my oil for the first time and thought I would share a couple pointers about the process. Some of these are in the manual some are not. Sometimes it's nice to have this info before you tackle the project. Maybe this could be incorporated into the FAQ. Note: I have the offroad package so it has the access door on the skid plate for the oil filter.

4 bolts to remove access cover - 4mm hex bit
Drain bolt - 14mm Torque- 25ft lbs
Oil Filter Torque - 13ft lbs

One last note: The oil drain bolt has a compression copper washer that should be replaced every time. Don't forget to pick this up from the dealer when you get the filter. Pretty easy process to change the oil!

Party On! :cheers:

·
Registered
152 Posts
superdelish said:
Just got done changing my oil for the first time and thought I would share a couple pointers about the process. Some of these are in the manual some are not. Sometimes it's nice to have this info before you tackle the project. Maybe this could be incorporated into the FAQ. Note: I have the offroad package so it has the access door on the skid plate for the oil filter.

4 bolts to remove access cover - 4mm hex bit
Drain bolt - 14mm Torque- 25ft lbs
Oil Filter Torque - 13ft lbs

One last note: The oil drain bolt has a compression copper washer that should be replaced every time. Don't forget to pick this up from the dealer when you get the filter. Pretty easy process to change the oil!

Party On! :cheers:
This is good information! With me being a do-it-yourself'er, I was wondering how involved the oil change process was going to be. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
yes thanks for the tip. a couple questions though: how much for the filter? and also do you have a special oilfilter torque wrench? any info is much appreciated. i only have 450 miles on it but it sure will help around 3750.

·
Registered
332 Posts
if that's the case ,then the factory filters should come with the compression washer, they don't. as long as you don't over torque it, you alright, it can be reused many times.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
goathead said:
yes thanks for the tip. a couple questions though: how much for the filter? and also do you have a special oilfilter torque wrench? any info is much appreciated. i only have 450 miles on it but it sure will help around 3750.
Don't wait for 3750 for the first oil change. Go get it changed now and again at 3750. The oil and filter are full of crap from the break in, including metal particles and bearing materials. You don't want that crap in your engine for another 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
rsmith44 said:
if that's the case ,then the factory filters should come with the compression washer, they don't. as long as you don't over torque it, you alright, it can be reused many times.
The compression washer that he is refering to is the one that goes on the drain plug in the oil pan (not the rubber o-ring on the oil filter). This compression washer is very important to change each time since it helps provide a tight, secure seal at the lowest point in the oil-circulation system.....you don't want the drain plug coming loose or leaking causing a loss of oil in these beasts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Memphis is exactly right. The washer is for the drain plug. It's only a 50 or 60 cent piece...not that much for piece of mind.

The filter was around $6 if I remember right from the dealer. I went to an autoparts store to get a oil filter "socket" to change it. Just take the oil filter with you to the store to make sure it fits. I then use this to torque it down with an 3/8" x 8" extension and a torque wrench. Little tight, but everything fits.

Party on! :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts