Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It takes just over 7 quarts of oil to bring it up to the little hole below the 'H' on the dipstick, says 6.5 in the book. Whats up with that?

(Speaking of oil changes, anybody use those expensive KN filters? I generally go for Napa Gold but recently put a Bosch number on cuz it was Sunday. I have had a hard time finding specs on oil filters not to mention motor oil. Any thoughts or opinions on motor oil and or oil filters would be interesting to me. Thanx)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I run mobil 1 synthetic w/ the oem filter

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I use Rotella T6 synthetic with a K&N filter. I have used 3 K&N filters sofar.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I change it with the oil every 5K but im due at 6,200 now.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
K&N Filter with Pennzoil platinum. 10K oil changes. Oil Analysis are outstanding on this combo.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
K&N Filter with Pennzoil platinum. 10K oil changes. Oil Analysis are outstanding on this combo.
I have been doing some reading on oil changes and wondered if i was wasting my $$ every 5k I think I will run up to 10k this time.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I run the oil up to 15k or once a year whichever comes first. I change the filter every 3k and add the difference.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have been doing some reading on oil changes and wondered if i was wasting my $$ every 5k I think I will run up to 10k this time.
have you done any UOAs? you should do one with a 5K sample, then a 7.5K sample and so forth until you find the longest you can do. I am sure I could get 15K with the Pennzoil

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The key to synthetic oil is changing the filter at regular intervals. The oil gets dirty but will not have viscosity break down.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The key to synthetic oil is changing the filter at regular intervals. The oil gets dirty but will not have viscosity break down.
Not all synthetics are created equal. There are many brands that the viscosity will thicken up quickly after a while.

Alot of studies show that standard dino oil is capable of 5k change intervals now. It is a marketing thing by the oil changers so they can make money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts