Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should I get my first oil change? I'm at 500 miles now should I wait the
normal 3000 miles or should I get it done sooner?
Is 3000 miles a good interval?
I live in california should I use 5w30 or 10w30?
Should I use synthetic?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My dealer recommended the first change at 3,750, which is the preferred interval in the manual if you actually use your truck. They gave me a free coupon for the first one as well.

I will change mine at 500, and let them do the freebie at 3,500, and then stick to 3,000-mile intervals. The oil filter is tiny, but the motor holds 6.5 quarts of oil. I picked up two filters when I picked up the receiver hitch kit.

The manual recommended 5w/30, and says mineral oil.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Willy,

I would drop your oil now if I was you. The oil that can do the most damage to your engine is the oil that is in your truck when new. This oil could possibly have metal contaminates from the engine being broken in that the oil filter may not pick up. I always get rid of the oil before I have 600 miles. My second oil change I usually comes at around 1,500 miles. After that, every 3,000 mi.

Nissan states in the owners manual to use conventional oil. One of the longest threads on this forum was about the use of synthetic oils. Click on the link below to read that thread.
http://www.titantalk.com/showthread.php?t=8932&highlight=synthetic+oil

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I did mine at 1,000 miles and the mechanic said that was probably a good idea. My next one will be at 3,750 and then every 3,750 thereafter.

I was fortunate to be able to add lifetime FREE oil changes to my original deal and the agreement was every 3,750 miles so why not follow their guidelines.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Did our first at 1200...second at 3100...

I am now on the 3k miles sched.

Synthetic is a no-no anytime prior to 6k miles on the truck and even then, Nissan recommends standard oil in the Titan...

Chris

·
Registered
514 Posts
If Nissan doesn't give a good reason as to why to not use synthetic, I'd ignore that. Sounds like an alterier motive that we haven't thought of yet.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
They dino oil vs synth arguement has been going on for years. I don't know of any automotive board that hasn't had post on the benefits etc of one over the other.

As synthetic is a thinner oil there is concern regarding seals, leaks etc...

Whereas with dino oil there is concern with engine wear (especially those who do not maintain correctly).

Those are the two main issues. The last being overall cost.

personal experience with many nissan vehicles over the years has shown me a good maint sched with dino oil is satisfactory and reliable. I have not had one oil related issue with any Nissan Vehicle I have owned.

IF you decide to use synthetic at least do yourself a favor and do not use it during the break in period of the engine.

Chris

·
Registered
514 Posts
I believe "synthetic is thinner" and/or "synthetic is slippierier" (more found in MC oil threads) are wives tales. The made difference in dino vs. synth is that synth has man made molecules which are longer and stronger, thus the longer change intervals (slower break down). (Dino are of random size and strength)

It won't affect seals, etc. That's all wives tales as well.

Even Porche puts Mobil 1 in their cars from the factory.. I think BMW (or Mercedes?) does as well.

The only reason I use dino for the break in is the first and second changes for me are rather frequent, and I save a few $$ before switching using dino, which is fine for shorter intervals.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I changed at 700.

Did anyone notice the size of the filter. I got one from an autoparts store, an STP brand that seems a little shorter than the filter from the factory.

What brand filter have you been using?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts