Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was my understanding that the skid plate under the engine had a square door about 5 x 5" held in place by 4 screws that allowed access to the oil filter without having to remove the entire skid plate. The service manual shows this door and I remember seeing it on a Titan at the auto show. But I just had a look at my KC LE 4x4 and it didn't have the door. Just one continuous skid plate. Do 4x4 models come with a different skid plate?

·
Registered
41 Posts
mine also has the access plate

·
Registered
901 Posts
Mine has it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
no 'access door' for oil filter

Albert1234 said:
It was my understanding that the skid plate under the engine had a square door about 5 x 5" held in place by 4 screws that allowed access to the oil filter without having to remove the entire skid plate. The service manual shows this door and I remember seeing it on a Titan at the auto show. But I just had a look at my KC LE 4x4 and it didn't have the door. Just one continuous skid plate. Do 4x4 models come with a different skid plate?
Having just changed the oil and oil filter, I can assure you that mine - 2wd CC SE - has no real easy way to get at the oil filter. You gotta take off the skid plate, which means removing 2 bolts in the front and loosening 2 bolts in the back.

·
Registered
901 Posts
kmfernandez said:
Having just changed the oil and oil filter, I can assure you that mine - 2wd CC SE - has no real easy way to get at the oil filter. You gotta take off the skid plate, which means removing 2 bolts in the front and loosening 2 bolts in the back.
Do you have the Off-Road package? I have never looked under a non off-road truck. Do they have a different smaller skid plate installed? The off-road plates come up and wrap around the lower part of the bumper. You can see them just standing in front of the truck. Is this the difference? Or are we all talking about off-road trucks? Mine has a nice removable panel about 8"x8".

·
Registered
530 Posts
My XE has no trap door. 6 screws and the gravel pan is off.

The oil filter from the factory was a 34E, and the replacement from the dealer was a 9E, but they are exactly the same size.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Same here as Farmer Fred.
LE no tow/no off road, I thought it was 4 10mm. Pan is big but light no access panel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mike H. said:
Do you have the Off-Road package? I have never looked under a non off-road truck. Do they have a different smaller skid plate installed? The off-road plates come up and wrap around the lower part of the bumper. You can see them just standing in front of the truck. Is this the difference? Or are we all talking about off-road trucks? Mine has a nice removable panel about 8"x8".
Its a 2wd SE w Popular package - no offroad or big tow. My last car was a Suby and it had a little trap door for easy access to the filter. Odd that Nissan would take the time to give you this cool little funnel under the filter to make changing it neater, but leave you to remove the whole skid plate to get at the filter in the first place.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I noticed that the non-offroad truck didn't have the access panel while the offroads did. Really weird that Nissan did that although I'm sure that the offroad skid plate is a bit more difficult to remove.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Picture of the trap door

It's a crappy shot because I didn't put it on ramps to take the shot, but it gives you the general idea. I'm sure it's possible to fit the offroad plate onto a non-offroad vehicle. It seems a little more convenient than removing the entire belly pan. BTW, it's centered on the very rear edge of the deflector plate, and looks to be held on by four screws which has already been discussed.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts