Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has made an access panel in their skidplate to avoid having to remove the plate during oil changes. I have been thinking about doing this for a while but I can't decide on what kind of latch or "door stock" to use.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I removed mine and bought the armada air dam to help keep "debris" from possibly hitting something.....looks WAY better, and keeps my oil changes to less than 10 minutes.

EDIT: here's a pic of the air dam

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
The OEM off-road skid plate has a trap door for changing the oil.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The OEM off-road skid plate has a trap door for changing the oil.
I wonder why the two wheel drives wouldn't have the same thing? I had to remove mine entirely every time...ended up breaking the head off of one of the bolts which helped in my decision to completely remove it.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I think some one did this a couple years back.

Cut a hole, add some sheet metal, add a piano hinge, fab up a latch, Done.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
After you get used to removing the skid plate, it's not that bad. Besides, it gives you a chance to inspect other things while you are under there.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
After you get used to removing the skid plate, it's not that bad. Besides, it gives you a chance to inspect other things while you are under there.
I Agree. After my Titan is in the air i can have oil draining in 5 minutes.

1/4" drive ratchet, 6" extension and 10mm socket. Remove the front 4 bolt/screws on the XE, 2 bolts on the SE/LE, loosen up the 2 back bolts the skid plate is slotted to slip off. Do not over tighten when you install it the bolts Will Break.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I had to leave mine off bc one of the bolts would not come out!!! Tried and tried just had to rip it off so it def wouldnt go back on. Bolt is still in the hole too.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Mine (both of mine actually) have the access panel in the skid plate. I've never seen the 2WD version. So they have no access panel I assume?......so you have to remove the entire skid plate? And if so, why couldn't you replace it with the 4WD skid plate that has the panel?

·
Registered
961 Posts
yeah no access panel on mine 2wd se. at first it was annoying but the more you do it the easier it is. i wouldn't mind having an easier access.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 4wd SE doesnt have an access panel. I dont think its a big deal to take it off. Its way easier than my motorcycle skid plates that I take off every time I change the oil.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 04 XE, 4x4, has the access panel as well. The problem is Nissan, like they do with everything else, used special bolts to hold it in place. The majority of the places I would take my truck to get the oil changed at would come back and say they couldn’t get the panel off without stripping the bolts. When I took my truck to the dealer they said I only had one bolt in and it had been rounded off. The dealer ended up just putting some regular bolts in free of charge.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
My 04 XE, 4x4, has the access panel as well. The problem is Nissan, like they do with everything else, used special bolts to hold it in place. The majority of the places I would take my truck to get the oil changed at would come back and say they couldn’t get the panel off without stripping the bolts. When I took my truck to the dealer they said I only had one bolt in and it had been rounded off. The dealer ended up just putting some regular bolts in free of charge.
Nothing special really....they're just allen screws. But I made it easier by replacing them with stainless phillips head screws and am always sure to use a little anti-seize each time I remove them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
on another note...why is the filter so damn small?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My 4wd SE doesnt have an access panel. I dont think its a big deal to take it off. Its way easier than my motorcycle skid plates that I take off every time I change the oil.
Hmmm...my SE does have the access panel but I always remove the entire skid plate when changing the oil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts