Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to change the oil on my "new to me" Titan and the screws for the oil filter cover were stripped out. I managed to get one out so far but wound up taking the whole skid plate off to get to the oil filter. I'm guessing that's how the previous owner had been doing it since it wasn't that difficult to remove.

Does any one know what is the correct thread size and pitch for those 4 x oil filter cover screws? I'd like to replace them with something a little easier to work with. Thanks!

Mike

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I have the OR package with the skid plate that has the small access plate. I went to Home Depot and got stainless phillips head screws of the type that has the tapered heads. The tapered heads fit perfectly in the countersinks on the plate. It has been along time, but I think they are M6. I spray the screws with WD40 every time I put them back and have not had any further problems.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I always remove the entire skid plate. This allows easy on-off access to the filter and inspection of the radiator hoses and removing the rocks that get hung in the skid plate. The oil filter access door is a joke.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Forgot what the correct pitch and thread is but M6 rings a bell. I searched for some SS replacement bolts at ACE Hardware with no luck. The thread and pitch are easy to match up, it's the washer that's impossible to find. They were all too small or too large for the hole in the skid plate and bolt diameter. Keep us posted if you find something in SS that works. The OEM bolts are ~$1.17 each...

I may try HD for the ones Bestachess used...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright guys, I got some replacement screws so here is the info.

They are Metric, Coarse Thread, diameter is M6, pitch is 1.0.

I bought four at Angelo Bolt (local machine and bolt shop) that are pretty much an exact match except for the self starting threads for $0.49 each. They are the same size allen head, same counter sunk design.

Hope that helps the next guy.

Mike

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
How long are the bolts? I'm gonna guess that a 25mm length would suffice. I don't have a skid plate, so what is the stye of head called? Is it an Allen Head Drive with typical round bodied head? If I have that correct, there are special washers made for allen head bolts, and they have a smaller Outer Diameter than a normal Metric Washer for Hex Head Bolts. If so, then...

That would be an M6x1.0x25mm Allen Head Machine Screw, or M6x1.0x25mm AHMS, Type 18-8 Stainless Steel.

If a true Flat Head with Allen Key Drive, then it would be a M6x1-0x25mm Flat head Machine Screw, or M6x1.0x25mm FHMS.

You mention a Flat head, but also a Washer, which don't usually go together. So I'm a bit confused. Sorry.

It'd be nice to have the full spec published here. Thanks. Pics are nice!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't even know what the thing looks like since I haven't changed the oil in my Titan yet, but is it possible to just do away with the screws, rivet some piano hinges on one side and then use a Zeus type fastener on the other?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The thread size and information posted thus far has been correct. For anyone wanting to know the correct OEM Part# for this item it is Part#01422-0003u, and they are $4.25 each retail. (Online they are about a dollar cheaper until S&H is added.)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts