Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
My '08 Pro4x is at 98k miles and i decided to get the spark plugs changed. When we pulled the plugs, the "spark" end of it was nice and tan but he threads of the plugs had a film of oil on all of them. The mechanic said that its due to a leaking valve cover gasket.

Is this something i should take care of now? There are no engine codes being thrown...

He said it might be 4 hours or so to change the valve cover gasket... is that true..

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Yes. Your mechanic is correct.

Reactions: srileo

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Your mechanic is correct.

Ouch :-( I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. A few more questions...

1) Is the gasket leak internal? - i do not see any oil on the exterior of the engine block.

2) How much time do i have before this repair becomes urgent?

3) How long does it take an experienced mechanic to do the job? Is it best left to the dealer?

Thank you for your guidance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The spark plug tubes have gaskets that are seated inside the valve cover. Unfortunately, Nissan doesn't sell just the gaskets and you'll need to replace the valve cover(s) as the cover(s) come with those gaskets.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Removing and replacing the valve covers will require new valve cover gaskets too. I changed the valve covers on my armada several years back and I paid around $80 for the pair; the gaskets were about $30.

I'd also change the PCV valves if you haven't yet. Those are usually overlooked but clogged PCV valves can lead to sludge buildup inside the motor, increase in pressure which can lead to gaskets failing prematurely. Inexpensive fix and something I personally like to change once a year.

·
Banned
319 Posts
I think your plugs do need changing after 100,000 . I think your old ones look fine. I never trust a mechanic unless he is kinfolk. Your ecu will let you know if something is wrong. I would change the plugs myself. It only takes about an hour. I believe everything will be OK.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
One advantage of having the plug threads well oiled is none of your spark plugs were seized in the block as some I have read about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
primov8 is right the seals are integrated into the valve covers. I just replaced mine due to sludge buildup and it took about an hour give or take. It's really not that hard to do. I don't recall exactly what the covers cost but it was less than $75 for the pair. The Nissan valve covers come with new PCV valves already installed but you will need to order the valve cover gaskets separately. I think the gaskets were about $12 from my local parts store. You will also need a small tube of silicone and put a dab on each side of the camshaft caps in the front of the cylinder head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts