Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Titan LE 4X4. Recently my oil pressure has been registering max out at high. Mechanics are recommending a new oil pump, but was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what their solution was. I can't believe it is the oil pump registering high pressure, would believe low pressure.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
When does it register at high? Our trucks (or at least the earlier years) oil gauges are known to be very active when accelerating. Like for me, the oil gauge moves to "H" when im accelerating hard.

Does your truck do it all the time? Only when its cold? Hot? Does it stay at high or does it fluctuate?

I might not know that much but if you get more specific others can probably help you out more.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
could be the pressure relief valve in the oil pump...that is, to my knowledge, the only thing that could create high pressure w/ the pump itself. im not familiar with the pumps in these trucks but would assume the would be like any other vehicle. i would say its probably just the sending unit though. you need to check it with a manual oil pressure gauge to rule out the sending unit. hope this helps

Reactions: jhk36830

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, did check it manually and guage is reading correctly. Any other suggestions of what might be causing the problem?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
probably the oil pump then IMO...i wouldnt drive it like that btw

·
Registered
678 Posts
My oil pressure gauge has been maxed out now for about a year or so. I was told it is a common thing with these Titans by the dealership. They said it was a bad sending unit. Is this something that can be replaced at home or would it need to be taken in to a mechanic or dealership?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My oil pressure gauge has been maxed out now for about a year or so. I was told it is a common thing with these Titans by the dealership. They said it was a bad sending unit. Is this something that can be replaced at home or would it need to be taken in to a mechanic or dealership?
thats what he just ruled out buy using a manual pressure gauge. he said the manual pressure gauge was reading high as well so the sending unit and truck gauge is correct. he does actually have a high oil pressure problem then

·
Registered
678 Posts
How do you manually check your oil pressure? Where do you get the gauge at? I would assume mine is just the sending unit since it's been that way for over a year now.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i dont know were the sending unit connector is on these engine...never had to do anything w/ it yet. jhk36830 just did it im sure he knows were it is. anyone, correct me if im wrong, but there should be a big "bolt" (dont know what size mm it is), with the connector on it. take that bolt off and there should be a port to attach the tube to. thats how hondas are anyways. they use primitive tech though lol. you can buy the gauge several place like harbor freight or something.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Any idea how much?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
probably like $10-15 for the gauge. i dont think the tube comes with it though...but it might. do some research on this specific truck though...im sure theres a lot of info on this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats what he just ruled out buy using a manual pressure gauge. he said the manual pressure gauge was reading high as well so the sending unit and truck gauge is correct. he does actually have a high oil pressure problem then
Took to another mechanic and he noticed guage stayed on high even with engine not running. He asked how can it be a pump problem if pump aint running. He is replacing sendidng unit. Pays to get a second opinion. first mechanic was going to charge me $2,000 for an unnecessary repair.

·
Registered
678 Posts
How much is the new sending unit?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Took to another mechanic and he noticed guage stayed on high even with engine not running. He asked how can it be a pump problem if pump aint running. He is replacing sendidng unit. Pays to get a second opinion. first mechanic was going to charge me $2,000 for an unnecessary repair.
awesome!! that def good new. let us know if everything works out

btw, just throwing things out there, if the relief valve on the pump was stuck closed, it might not release pressure even with the engine turned off. i would replace the sending unit unit since i would bet its about $50-60 (outside of factory)..and if that doesnt work.......im no mechanic though lol good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
The OEM Oil Pressure Sending Unit for your truck has a MSRP of $77.83
(Part# 25070-CD00A)

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
I think I read something here on Titantalk where you can boot the truck into diagnostic mode and switch through the data fields using the trip computer reset button.
One of the fields is oil pressure and it displays where the mileage normally shows.

Reactions: VK56DEHAN

·
Registered
678 Posts
Is replacing the sending unit something that can be done yourself or does it need to be taken in? I would like to replace mine as well. Is there a "how to" instruction sheet?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts