Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago my oil pressure gauge began to fluctuate with the engines rpm's. Now the darn thing is stuck on H. The truck has 100k miles.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Could be a whole lotta things. I'd start with an oil change and convert to syn if you haven't yet. Might not hurt to run a half can of SeaFoam in the crank case for 10-20 minutes before you change the oil.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Since the Gauge is stuck on high, I would suspect the oil pressure sensor is stuck. It is easily replaced, as it is located just above the Oil Filter. Shouldn't cost more than $20-30 for a Sensor. Check Auto Parts Store first. It screws in and a plug attaches to it. Use Teflon Tape on the threads to ensure no leaks. Sensors go bad far more than Gauges, that is why you may wish to change the Sensor. I doubt it is anything else.

Reactions: GDaddy

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sensors go bad far more than Gauges, that is why you may wish to change the Sensor. I doubt it is anything else.
That was my initial suspicion, but the part about it fluctuating with engine speed (somewhat normal to fluctuate a little) has me thinking something else is causing this. Probably not anything sinister but could be the drain-back valve on the oil filter or something in the fluid.

If the oil change (which probably needs to be done any way) didn't fix it, then I'd say the sensor is my #2 concern. Still pretty cheap to have them both done at the same shop at the same time if you want to knock the two out.

After that it gets a little more complicated. You can either go the route of looking to replace the gauge in the dash or dropping the pan to see if there is a pump issue. It can also be in your upper engine too. Lots of little oil delivery tubes and whatnot.

Before you open the dash (if the sensor wasn't it) or the engine, you might want to get a cheap MECHANICAL oil gauge and hook it up temporarily to see what PSI you are running and see if it shows the same thing as the dash. If it differs then your OEM gauge is bad. If it pegs high too, then your engine has something inside. It would be about $45 to do as a diagnostic step before you get committed either way.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Time for a Bumpdate! Any clue as to what the issue was? Still having it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem. Oil Pressure gauge stuck on H. I replaced the Oil Pressure switch and that solved the problem. My Truck is a 2005 with 144,000 miles. Part was $75.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts