Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the oil pressure fluctuates on the 2k4 due to it being an actual oil pressure gauge, but mine is going low enough to trigger the oil pressure light unless I rev the engine at a stop light.
I switched from 5w to 10w oil and put a quality filter on and it made no difference. Should I be worried? Is this an oil pump issue now?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Put a mechanical gauge on it. Check things. If pressure is good, it's the sender. If pressure is bad, you have bigger fish to fry.

·
Registered
2021 P4X
275 Posts
You can get a cheap oil pressure testing kit from harbor freight. Comes with a bunch of adapters.
I was having an issue with my Q40. I'd get a code thrown for low oil pressure. I unscrewed the sensor. Screwed in the pressure gauge. Fired up the car...pressure was fine.
I wouldn't run it at all till you know.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Go to Nicoclub.com and download the factory service manual sections for your year Titan. All the specs you need are in there.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
6,209 Posts
I would think you should if its lower than what the book calls for. Its cheaper than an engine rebuild or swap

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Cheapest thing first: What kind of oil filter is on the truck? You said, "quality", but... In the early ones, they're fussy about what you use. Two of the few known good ones are NAPA Gold and the OEM.

On mine, if I use anything else, the oil pressure at hot idle will dip WAY low.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I let it run for half an hour, get fully heated up, ran an external manual oil pressure gauge off the sensor port.. had the wife sit in the truck with it in gear, and never saw the oil PSI dip below 20.. spec says 14.. so I should just replace the sensor, and if it doesn't fix it.. move on and not worry about it? I just really don't want to toast the engine on week 2 of ownership :p

For the oil filter question, I switched from whatever the oil chain place used to a WIX filter and penzoil platinum high mileage 10w30.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
My money is on getting a new sensor (not a cheap chinesium one, though) and determining if that fixes the issue at the gauge. I suspect it will.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll give it a try and update!
For anyone else who happens upon this. Harbor freight had a nice gauge kit for 30$ with all the adapters. I used a right angle adapter from the kit and was able to test even with a very slow drip (maybe a drop every 5 seconds). Started as high as 90psi and dropped as it warmed up to about 30. Revved engine, let it really heat up, put it in gear while holding the brakes (worse case for oil pressure) and couldn't get it below 20psi. Nissan calls for a minimum of 14psi at idle on the 2004 v8.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My money is on oil filter.. Shoot me I know,, but try a Nissan filter for it and see what happens. Had this issue on my 07 with “premium” filters. Anymore I run OEM filters on about all my vehicles and toys.. Good luck!! Let us know

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Based on the gauge readings, the filter is not the issue. It's the sensor or the electrical gauge in the truck. Mechanical gauge says pressure is above minimum by 6lbs.

Reactions: whkelleyjr

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand the oil pressure fluctuates on the 2k4 due to it being an actual oil pressure gauge, but mine is going low enough to trigger the oil pressure light unless I rev the engine at a stop light.
I switched from 5w to 10w oil and put a quality filter on and it made no difference. Should I be worried? Is this an oil pump issue now?
Try new sender first, the oil pump doesn’t create oil pressure, your main bearings create the oil pressure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The bearings start out pretty tight with that 5/20 oil. But my '05 with 320,000 started running low while idling so I switched to 10/30 in the winter and then in the summer with the A/C on idling so I'm adding 2.5 qts of 10/40 with 5 qts of 10/30 and that is keeping it out of the red in the summer. We'll see if she makes it to 400,000. It's just bearing wear, so the clearance now is at about where they use to START OUT back in the days of 10/40.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts