Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have a bad oil pressure sensor, but wanted to run it past the vets on here to get their opinion. Last weekend I took the truck out after warming it up. As I was going down the road I noticed the oil pressure was pegging on H with just a little gas (even when the truck would down shift). If I stopped and let it return to idle the pressure would return to the middle between L and H.

I crawled back home thinking my oil pump was plugged and I was going to fry the engine. I pulled the oil filler cap off and could see oil splashing around so I figured the engine was getting fed. I checked the oil level; it was right between L and H where I normally keep it. I did the gauge check where you hold down the trip reset button and scan the gauges. All gauges did the normal sweep.

The one thing I did notice is that before I start the engine and just turn the key to the "run" position the oil pressure switch swings to the middle between L and H. For the life of my I can't remember if it always did that or if it stayed at L till I fired up the truck.

Any way, I'm going to change the oil pressure sensor, but I have to order it online (I refuse to give the local Nissan Dealer any money). While I was waiting, I thought I would bounce it off everyone and get your opinions.

2004 Nissan Titan LE 105,000 miles, regular maintenance performed, car used to be a daily driver but now is parked and used mostly on the weekends. TIA for any responses.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thread...I will be doing the swap this week if the part comes in. None of the local auto part stores had any in stock. I'll get the pics up when its done. I was hoping mine would get better too, but it isn't and I really don't want to drive the truck with a gauge acting up. The only thing I can think of was that I took the car to the car wash the weekend before it started acting up. It was nothing unusual since I take the car in every few months, but maybe this time water got up into the plug/sensor and fried it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting comment on the car wash. Mine started acting up after rinsing the engine out but like I said in the previous post, it stopped acting up. I'm not sure where the sensor is located so if/when you get it done, a couple of pics will be very helpful. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finished up, sensor was indeed bad. Everything works great now. I will post pics tomorrow...I only have a few initial photos as there were some unforeseen "complications".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow, this is pretty wierd. I was driving into work tonight and noticed my oil pressure gauge rising and falling with engine speed. I figured I would pop on here and see if anyone had a similar problem, cause I couldn't for the life of me remember seeing it do this before. Oddly enough, I had taken my truck through the car wash last night prior.

Reactions: PAPARYNO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looking forward to the pics.

Looks like water intrusion of some sort..........

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Set up of the tools I needed (minus the 24mm open end wrench)...

Ok so this is a pretty bad picture of where the oil pressure sensor is. (I used my camera phone since I didn't want to ruin my Nikon...good choice as I would find out). You can see the oil filter (big black cylinder). The oil pressure sensor is to the right just underneath that black hose that runs into the side of the oil filter bracket. There is a 3 wire plug that goes into the sensor that you have to disconnect. Once that is done, according to the manual you can simply remove the sensor with a socket or open end wrench. Unfortunately if a tool exists that can latch on to the sensor without removing that black hose, I don't have it.

I had to remove the hose, which has one of those dumb pressure clamps (at least on an '04). Be prepared, because all the anti-freeze from your engine block comes pouring out when you remove this hose; about a gallon overall for me. Of course I wasn't prepared for this and soaked the garage floor.

However once that was out of the way, the sensor came off easily with a 24mm open ended wrench. I installed the new one after coating the top 2/3 of the threads with gasket silicon. There were no torque specs that I could find so I made it snug and will check for leaks for the first few hundred miles.

Once I started the truck I could immediatly see the gauge was functioning properly as it didn't peg after starting. I spent the next 30 minutes topping off the coolant and running the truck around the block and checking for leaks.

When I get a chance I will go out with the digital camera and take a hi-res shot of the area so everyone can see better. Its pretty easy to spot though if you've ever changed your own oil. (Also let me know if the pics don't post as I've never posted any on TT)

On a side note, the sensor is in a really stupid place on the truck with the plug facing towards the front of the car. All the water, mud, snow and salt that we pick up is going to get worked down into that connection until it fails. I will probably end up shrink wrapping that connection, along with a few others I noticed when I rewire my Scout this fall. I'm not real worried about it failing again as the truck sees little rain here in AZ. I'll just have to be careful when washing it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the writeup and pics. I'll keep monitoring mine but at least now I know where the sensor is and your "lessons learned"....... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting reads indeed. I have a 2005 Nissan Titan and it has about 160,000 miles on it. The oil pressure sensor gauge just now started acting up. When it's off, its at L (of course), when it on in acc mode it in between L and H, but when I turn the truck on it reads at H and stays on H as I drive it. I did wash my truck weekend and didn't really notice if it started reading at H after that. I am in serious question as to whats wrong and am now starting to believe it is my oil pressure sensor. I'd hate to go to the dealership and pay and outrageous price to have it fixed, but will now looking into somewhere different. From reading these posts, I am convinced that this is my problem. Thanks for posting the information, I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
OK, I know this is an older but I just noticed my gauge acting up.

It's not pegging H, but when I'm at a stop light idling, it moves down between the middle line and the 1/4 mark towards the L side. I don't remember that happening before? When driving it pretty much stays just above the middle mark. Does this sound right? Oh, I just changed my oil this morning.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
OK, I know this is an older but I just noticed my gauge acting up.

It's not pegging H, but when I'm at a stop light idling, it moves down between the middle line and the 1/4 mark towards the L side. I don't remember that happening before? When driving it pretty much stays just above the middle mark. Does this sound right? Oh, I just changed my oil this morning.
That's normal oil pressure fluctuation. Pressure changes as your RPM increases/ decreases. It happens on most 04-07 Titans. They switched to a dummy gauge in 08+. It happens on my Titan & Armada. Unfortunately you just changed your oil. When It happened to me I switched to 10w-30 and a Bosch filter it helped.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Leave it to this forum to answer my questions! Just took the T for a drive after sitting for weeks and noticed the oil pressure guage pegging under light acceleration. Started to panic, put realized the temp was normal and no engine lights so calmed down slightly. Got it home quick, checked for leaks, then hopped on here. As usual, here is my answer! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Man I love this Forum! I had this issue last weekend and was on a trip to Vegas when I noticed it! I of course was stressed the whole time I was there thinking my truck was going to blow up on the way home! I will go change the sensor and I bet that will be the same fix for my sensor pegging at any throttle!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Just picked up a 2006 SE for my stepson and this happened on my way home. Thanks to all for your input!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
omg I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM...BEEN DEALING WITH THIS FOR 2 YEARS...THANKS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil Pressure Sender vs Oil Pressure Sender with Gauge

Thanks for the information on this post. I have a 2005 Nissan Titan. Yesterday I noticed that the oil pressure gauge is pegged to "High". Happens even if the truck is not started, but just the key is turned on. The gauge never fluctuates in position.

I read on this forum about the "Oil Pressure Sender". Then when I look for parts, I see the Oil Pressure Sender and also the "Oil Pressure Sender with Gauge".

Does anyone know the difference and know which one I should actually replace?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but seems better than starting a new one. I think changing this sensor will fix my problem, but my oil gauge needle just hangs straight down all the time... no fluctuation at all. Anyone had this particular issue and care to chime in on if this will fix it or if I need to do something else? it seems like it either has no input or is not relaying any information. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Sort of depends on the year of your truck. Early Titans had an actual gauge which read fluctuating pressure. Newer trucks (I thing 08 and up but not sure) have a gauge which simply jumps to the middle and stays there unless pressure drops below a specific level, at which point the idiot light comes on. So it's a gauge-style-idiot-light, more or less. I wish it were swappable but it's not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts