Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering if you are experiencing high oil pressure when you start up and drive. Mine stays at half at idle but moves all the way to in between 3/4 and H at just 2500rpm. Goes basically to H if above 3000rpm.
It does that for about 10-15 minutes, then stays at 1/2 on gauge or very slight fluctuation after that at all rpms. I noticed my friends armada does it and the dealer said its normal but if it makes me feel uneasy to bring it in and they will fix it. Which i dont get if its normal i mean either its normal or not. If it is normal anyone have a good explanation to why this occurs, and what affects on seals it will have???? Thankyou :huh:

·
Registered
497 Posts
:computern :google: for oil weight on a how it works site, may pick up a thing or 2 on the side. its normal btw. :dunno: :bang: :eek: :rofl: :ugh: :confused: :fever: :zzzz: :bye: :ninja: :Warp:

·
Registered
144 Posts
What you're experiencing is normal. That's why it's REALLY not a bad idea to start the truck and let it warm up for a few minutes before taking off. All vehicles are like that, but most don't have a pressure gauge to show you...

The gauge is a reminder for me. Whenever possible, I start the truck and let it warm up for at least several minutes before taking off. ESPECIALLY on very cold mornings...

If you don't want to wait, at least don't hammer it until it's warm. Again, this is true with ANY vehicle, not just your Titan...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
1BadTitan said:
My needle dont move. When I start it it goes from off to high and stays there the entire time I drive. Is that a problem?
that seems like a problem if it does not move from that position at all. i would take it to the dealer may be a faulty oil sending unit :huh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oil Pressure

When I first got my truck, whenever I would hit a bump or turn just right the oil pressure gauge would goto L and the oil pressure/coolant temp light would come on. What I thought was really weird was that it would intermittantly go down and come back up, so I took it in and they found a bad circuit board for the instrument cluster. They replaced it and now it seems to be good.

When I start my truck in the mornings the oil pressure will usually be above the middle and when I start driving it will go up a little higher when the rpm's rise. When it is already warm and been running for a while it is almost dead center all the time.

Hope this helps 1BadTitan.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
this is completely normal, no need to warm up a vehicle either. when cold the oil is thicker and causes the higher pressure. it should drop in 5-10 minutes. if it peggs the whole time or bottoms out, then worry. otherwise dont worrry. this is straight from the service manager at my local nissan shop who has seen me through 3 other nissans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since the nights/mornings started getting colder late October, I started noticing THE EXACT SAME situtation with my 2006 4x4 LE. I have 24500 miles and I think the oil pressure dealeo has been going on for a while. Dealer told me the same thing--"that's normal". I was thinking about taking a few new ones for a comparison test ride early AM next time I take my truck into the dealer for service. I live on a semi rural cul-de-sac off a state road and even after letting the truck warm up for five minutes in 50 or 60 degree weather, it is very unsettling to watch the pressure guage bury when you accelerate up to 50 plus miles to merge with the traffic. After 15 or 20 minutes the pressure subsides down to about 50 percent. Is this normal???

·
Registered
2 Posts
After posting about the oil pressure gauge, I spent time finding and reading on the numerous other "oil pressure" threads on the site. Feel comfortable now and in the future will perform a more thorough search before posting a question. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
i've been a bit nervous about this too. when i start it up for 5-6 minutes the gauge is at 3/4, then right at 1/2 when it's warm. i didn't notice until after i put in the mobil 1 so i was worried it had something to do with that. good to know everyone experiences pretty much the same thing.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
OK HERE IS WHAT I GOT, 2004 NISSAN TITAN 31,500 MILES GOT IT USED WITH 24,000. OIL PRESSURE RAN IN THE MIDDLE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF OIL WAS IN IT. 27,OOO CHANGE THE OIL 6 1/2 QUARTS VALVOLINE DuraBlend 5W30 FRAM TOUGH GARD FILTER STARTED THE TRUCK AND IT WAS TICKING(NOT INJECTERS). PUT 1,700 MILES ON THAT OIL AND THE OIL PRESSURE DROPPED BETWEEN 1/4 AND 1/2 WHEN IN DRIVE AND REVERSE. CHANGED THE OIL AGAIN AND THE OIL WAS DARK AND THIN I PUT 10W30 VALVOLINE OIL FRAM TOUGH GARD FILTER. PUT ABOUT 2800 MILES ON THAT OIL AND IT STARTED IT AGAIN (OILPRESSURE DROP). SO CHANGED THE OIL AGAIN AND IT HASN'T DUNE IT YET ANY IDEAS? IF THE TRUCK SITS AND YOU CRANK IT IT STILL MAKE THE TICKING NOISE!

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
pcg_k25 said:
OK HERE IS WHAT I GOT, 2004 NISSAN TITAN 31,500 MILES GOT IT USED WITH 24,000. OIL PRESSURE RAN IN THE MIDDLE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF OIL WAS IN IT. 27,OOO CHANGE THE OIL 6 1/2 QUARTS VALVOLINE DuraBlend 5W30 FRAM TOUGH GARD FILTER STARTED THE TRUCK AND IT WAS TICKING(NOT INJECTERS). PUT 1,700 MILES ON THAT OIL AND THE OIL PRESSURE DROPPED BETWEEN 1/4 AND 1/2 WHEN IN DRIVE AND REVERSE. CHANGED THE OIL AGAIN AND THE OIL WAS DARK AND THIN I PUT 10W30 VALVOLINE OIL FRAM TOUGH GARD FILTER. PUT ABOUT 2800 MILES ON THAT OIL AND IT STARTED IT AGAIN (OILPRESSURE DROP). SO CHANGED THE OIL AGAIN AND IT HASN'T DUNE IT YET ANY IDEAS? IF THE TRUCK SITS AND YOU CRANK IT IT STILL MAKE THE TICKING NOISE!
care to hit that lil' caps lock button on your sony vaio bigguy??

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
sorry about the caplocks being on, was at work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
didn't mean to BUG U Lurchdubious
thanks for your input

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
pcg_k25 said:
sorry about the caplocks being on, was at work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for your input
Fram filters are utter crap with horrible anti-drainback valves. They're known to cause valvetrain noise at startup due to oil draining out of the filter and back into the pan. What happens next is you start your engine and it's run "dry" for a couple of seconds while oil is pumped back into the oil filter, then finally into your engine. This is baaad on your engine.

Please use a high-quality filter and put the Fram where it belongs...in the garbage.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
pcg_k25 said:
thanks for your input
sorry, no input on your problems. i'm sure someone on here has the know-how though.

...i had to post something~you have the exact same laptop as i do. ...actually my wife uses the vaio now as i got my new toy, a macbook. our vaio nearly died, i had to completely wipe everything, reinstall & start over. has yours given you any problems? (sorry to hijack)

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
What Is The Best Oil Filter ???????

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
pcg_k25 said:
What Is The Best Oil Filter ???????
when i did a search i found that the nissan OEM filter receives pretty good marks. some use purolator and still others are popular. the threads i read had many people agreeing that the nissan filter is great.

Mobil 1 5w-30 + OEM filter seems to work great for me so far. i'm planning on changing every 6 months or 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
For now, I'm sticking with the Nissan filter (Since that's the one used when the dealer changes my oil. ;) ), otherwise I would probably use the Mobil 1 or Purolator filter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts