Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 7 quarts of mobile one 5-30 oil full syn. It has been sitting on my shelf for about 5 months is it still ok to use or do I need to buy some new oil?

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
It sits on a crate in a wharehouse for a month or so. Then it sits in a truck as it's transported to locol store. It sits in back area until new product is to be placed out, then it waits to be sold. You're fine. you're way under the "timeframe" before you must discard for being old. Years under.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks guys I am making 2000 mile trip one way from Watertown NY to Brownwood Tx this weekend.. And I want need to change my oil this will be my first oil change I have 3700 miles on it should have all the bad stuff out of the new motor by now.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
According to Mobil's website, unopened oil is good for 5 years.
Dang!...you ruined it, I was going to tell the OP that after sitting that long it became like Nitroglycerin and very unstable, BUT I would take it off his hands...:ftard:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Id say its okay, it sat pretty long underground
that's what i was thinking.

about the 5 year shelf life: i wonder if that is like the expiration date on bottled water. how the hell does water go bad?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I would shake it up before pouring it in, but 5 omnths aint nothing to be sitting.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Bottled water can go bad because bacteria can start to grow on the inside of the bottle. It takes a while though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, it is definitely gone bad. Ship it to me and I will dispose for free in compliance with EPA regs.
HAHA!!

True story a friend of mine had oil about 15 quarts of Mobile1 5W-30 Syn that had been sitting in his shed for about 5-6 years. He wasn't going to use it because he had switched to dino oil in all of his cars and he wanted to get rid of it. I went straight over and snatched it right up. I put that right into my Jeep TJ, Honda Prelude and Chevy Trailblazer. At the time I didn't have the Titan but I would have put it in there without even thinking twice about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts