Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you interested in getting your oil sampled go to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and request a free kit. The key to an accurate oil sample is to drain it (HOT) for a few seconds before you put the container in the flow of oil. It only holds about 4 ounces so don't worry about letting out too much oil before you put it in the flow. They charge about $20 for a sample and I think another $10 if you want to know the TBN of the oil. If your going to change your oil every 2-3K miles you may want to skip the TBN check, but if your interested in extended oil drains than it's VERY important. It tells you how much of the additives are left in the oil and it's ability to disperse soot and carbon.

By the way this is in response to an earlier thread I started called Just Drained the Mobil 1.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also while I'm on the topic of oil, has anyone else noticed that the 6.5 quarts that Nissan calls for is not enough oil? If you put in the 6.5 it brings the level just above the lower fill dot on the dipstick. It took 7 quarts to bring the level to just under the top fill mark. I'm not sure if the manual is wrong or Nissan Engineers just have short dipsticks............ :jester:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Jet Foreman - oil capacity

JetForeman said:
Also while I'm on the topic of oil, has anyone else noticed that the 6.5 quarts that Nissan calls for is not enough oil? If you put in the 6.5 it brings the level just above the lower fill dot on the dipstick. It took 7 quarts to bring the level to just under the top fill mark. I'm not sure if the manual is wrong or Nissan Engineers just have short dipsticks............ :jester:
The specifications of the Titan listed on Nissannews states the capacity as 7 quarts. Although the owner's manual says 6 1/2 quarts there is a note which says:

"The drain and refill capacity depends on the
oil temperature and drain time. Use these
specifications for reference only. Always use
the dipstick to determine when the proper
amount of oil is in the engine."

I would think the 6.5 quarts is estimating that there will be 1/2 quart or so left after you drain.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess that explains why it been taking 7 quarts. Nissan news??? I'm not familiar with that site. Can you give me the link?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Nissannews

JetForeman said:
I guess that explains why it been taking 7 quarts. Nissan news??? I'm not familiar with that site. Can you give me the link?

www.nissannews.com Go to the products and find the titan on the titan and it has a whole bunch of info!

cheers!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Keane. I've been to their site before but I guess I missed all the good stuff. You the MAN!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts