Nissan Titan Forum banner

Oil suggestions?

10K views 62 replies 21 participants last post by  rodder98 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I am coming up on my first oil change and was wondering what oil you guys are using?? I always switch to full synthetic oil and have been running mobil 1 in all other vehicles. Thx

#3 ·
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30 in mine. More important than that, make sure you use a Wix, NAPA Gold, or Nissan filter. They have the proper pressure reliefs for our trucks for when the oil gets up in mileage.

#6 ·
If u have a 16’ and up will want to use the 0w-20. Mobil one is the easiest find and seems to do fine. I stick with the Nissan filters but the other filters mentioned are also very good. If u spend some time scrubbing Amazon or eBay u can usually find some good bulk deals...

#12 ·
I personally like Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum. I used 7 qts of 5w-30 in my 2012 and will use 7 qts of 0w-20 in my 2019. Use a new copper crush gasket on the oil pan bolt everytime (You can find them on Amazon)... As well as a Fram XG7317 filter.

You probably already know this, but dont over-tighten the pan bolt. Snug will do. The new filter should be hand tight when installed. The last time a Nissan Dealer touched my truck, I MF'ed them over and over when the time came and I wanted to change the oil myself. Everything was way overtightened. You should never have to use a 1/2" Drive Ratchet with a cheater bar for leverage to loosen the oil pan bolt.I'm surprised nothing got stripped!

I've used Valvoline, Mobil 1, and Pennzoil in my 1st Gen Titan and Pennzoil Platinum won hands down... Biggest difference was quietness of valve train in all engine temps and oil color at change during drain (Pennzoil looked and poured the best at drain time). Mobil 1 sprayed everywhere when I drained it the one time I used it. It may have been too thin after 5-6k miles. Valvoline made my old T tick like a timebomb on cold starts. I drained that crap out well before the change interval and used Pennzoil again.

Just my experience...

Reactions: Olllian
#23 ·
I’m absolutely certain any quality synthetic oil will yield the same results. If it’s so great why isn’t it used by the masses and more easily obtained? I don’t need a guy under an awning at a car meet trying to convince me about what it does. They are there to cost justify the product. It’s like a multi level marketing gimmick to me.

Clint

Reactions: slyfur1
#26 ·
Having that long of oil change intervals makes me uncomfortable and I can’t say why. Most of the driving I do is short trips, so just going with your average Mobil 1 and filter seems to work well. Truck doesn’t use any oil at 170k and the valve train is tick free.

#27 ·
Going from 3000 to 5000 miles per change isn’t comforting in my world, going longer is a flat out no. Peace of mind is more important than the money aspect.

Clint

Reactions: Constable
#29 ·
I go every 7k with SS AMS oil and it still looks clean. That way I rotate same time. Clint, if a guy under a canopy was selling you the pedal commander you would've bought one...oh right you did lol.

#35 ·
Not from someone pitching it at a gathering, I read up on it, read reviews and then decided. It was also returnable if I wasn’t pleased. Any full synthetic 0-20 oil is plenty fine, it’s not a $500,000 super car, it’s a pickup truck. I have almost $60,000 tied up in my SRT8 Challenger, it too is nice but nothing special, Mobil 1 and all is good.
I do see an actual physical difference in the trucks behavior using the pedal commander, what does amsoil do differently than another synthetic? I don’t hear of mass vehicle failures all over the internet but those who bought that liquid gold were saved. I have stood and listened to the amsoil guys at car shows but never felt it sold itself without them pushing it.
My son has a marketing degree, he can make you want anything just like all those infomercials, who knew you just had to have that electric power shovel, too bad you live where there is no snow, lol.
His job is to create the desire/ need to have a product. No wonder he pulls down a very substantial income.

Clint

#30 ·
I went to the stealership when I first got my XD - 10w30 is the recommended oil. I wanted to run Diesel Synthetic - but you can not find it around here. Spoke to the diesel Tech and for rough duty you can use Rotella 5w40 Synthetic. That was one of the other oils listed, but for a different temp range. The only thing he said was in the really cold temps - let it warm up. I have used it ever since and I haul a ton of crap.

#31 ·
Where I bought my 2019 Titan the dealer gives 6 free oil changes, they call for changes every 5,000 miles, I don't care if they use yak urine as long as they keep it in warranty, I used Castrol syn in all other vehicles. By the way my BMW, 2011 328i, when I bought it new had free oil changes, once a year OR 20,000 miles, would cost if in earlier for change.
Also that BMW (Bavarian Money Waist er) has no oil dip stick.... computer will let you when to change if to long.....

#37 ·
The second generation 2016 and up Titans use 0-20, my first generation used 5-30. What year is your truck?

Clint

#39 ·
Clint, I wasn't mesmerized by a sales pitch, I simply did my research and came to an educated conclusion. AMS is the same (or close to) price as the other top quality oils sold at local stores, but is number one in all categories. Why not buy the best, it's cheap insurance. I will never own a $500k vehicle so I will treat what I have as such. I also switched to 5w-30 and engine is so much more quiet.

#41 ·
So you buy your choice of oil to protect the engine but you change the viscosity of the oil and don’t give it a second thought as far as potential lubrication issues. You can have premature wear by oil not flowing through passages quite as easily etc.
They spec’d an oil weight for the engine, why not use an amsoil product at that weight?
I’m on my 49th vehicle and have never had any oil related engine problems, I just religiously change the oil and filter on time. The only time I’ve used full synthetic is on
my cars that the manual requires it, all the cars, trucks and bikes before it ran perfectly fine on good old Dino oil including a 1962 Corvette with a built 350 LT 1 that I sold my friend at least 20 years ago and still runs fine today.

Clint

#42 ·
It's the same engine as the first gen with different heads. They changed the oil viscosities bc of cafe ratings to save .10% of fuel consumption during startup. With so many engines getting the "knock" makes you wonder if the oil is the culprit. Also, dealer uses 5w-30 so I guess it's not a huge deal?
Now the industry wants to use a 0w-16/8? This should be interesting.
My wife's RX350 recommends 0-20 yet the same year ES 350 uses 5-30, why is that? Is it bc the "suv" will bring down the cafe rating , so to help out with ratings it "recommends " 0-20. Doesnt sound like much but amplified over a million cars it looks good on paper. Highly doubt toyota designed 2 of the same engine for car and one for suv.

#44 ·
It's the same engine as the first gen with different heads. They changed the oil viscosities bc of cafe ratings to save .10% of fuel consumption during startup. With so many engines getting the "knock" makes you wonder if the oil is the culprit. Also, dealer uses 5w-30 so I guess it's not a huge deal?
Now the industry wants to use a 0w-16/8? This should be interesting.
My wife's RX350 recommends 0-20 yet the same year ES 350 uses 5-30, why is that? Is it bc the "suv" will bring down the cafe rating , so to help out with ratings it "recommends " 0-20. Doesnt sound like much but amplified over a million cars it looks good on paper. Highly doubt toyota designed 2 of the same engine for car and one for suv.
I was just buying oil the other day and saw 0-16 for the first time, soon we will be using cooking oil. Sadly we the public will pay the price in the end if there are mass failures and out of warranty.

Clint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.