Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 XE King Cab 4x4 i want better fuel economy! So I am looking to dual it fully out and ad cold air intake. So truthfully what are the best combinations for mufflers and cold air intake. I need 2 mufflers and 1 cold air intake and any other suggestions to up the fuel economy. I am getting about 14.25mpg for highway driving on average. the problem is I drive to much about 500 to 700 miles a week. The truck is 6 months old and has 13000 miles on it. So any help would be great. Also I have searched and read the threads and still have no clear definite answer.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I am in the process of doing some of the upgrades you are looking at. The one thing I found on this and other forums is you will probably not see an increase in MPG. These upgrades are usually to get a power bump and to be honest most say when they got that bump (and the improved sound) it's harder to keep your foot out of the firewall. I've got a KC 4X4 and pull about 16 to 17 with mostly highway travel. So, if I have read and learned correctly, don't do these mods with the hopes of big (or any) MPG gains, do them for power gains. I feel like "grasshopper", did I grab the pebble from your hand master?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damnit luvbelly you got the color i wanted you suck only kidding, thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Tire pressure, aerodynamics, weight reduction, and driving style will do more for mileage.

·
Registered
662 Posts
JBA exhaust and either AEM or Volant CAI seem to be the top picks. If you want to go economical on your exhaust you can just get a magnaflow muffler which will give you some good sound. If money is no concern then do JBA or Nismo exhaust and Injen CAI. Nothing you do is going to save gas except keeping your foot out of it. Good luckand happy modding.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys and i see what your saying but if you keep your foot off the peddle with the higher power output then your motor will use less gas, i think im gonna dual it out and put the magnaflows and wait and do the void the warranty air intake mod after warranty runs out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
jonny4 said:
thanks guys and i see what your saying but if you keep your foot off the peddle with the higher power output then your motor will use less gas, i think im gonna dual it out and put the magnaflows and wait and do the void the warranty air intake mod after warranty runs out.
Just so you know, the Nismo CAI does not void your warranty since it is considered a Nissan part. It is a great kit and supposedly AEM manufactures them, which I have found to be true. The CAI on my car and truck both look identical to the AEM CAI's.

·
Registered
603 Posts
TitanLou said:
JBA exhaust and either AEM or Volant CAI seem to be the top picks. If you want to go economical on your exhaust you can just get a magnaflow muffler which will give you some good sound. If money is no concern then do JBA or Nismo exhaust and Injen CAI. Nothing you do is going to save gas except keeping your foot out of it. Good luckand happy modding.
I have to agree with this reply 100%

I went Volant CAI, and Magnaflow Cat back.

Buying a Titan and thinking about saving Gas is an Oxymoron ;)

I tell the wife after she says to me why I am filling up 2-3 times a week...

"If I wanted gas mileage, I would of bought a Prius."

·
Registered
378 Posts
Two things. No sudden starts. Let the ECU get into "granny mode" and keep it there.
Next, use the cruise control whenever possible. Hell, even leave it turned on whn you're driving around town. IIRC, it softens the delivery a bit. This will help.
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2008 Titan has 500 miles on it. My first tank, I got about 14.5 mpg driving it pretty easy. I hate to break it to you, but others are right when they said you picked the wrong vehicle to get good fuel economy. I read an article recently on "hypermilling" on CNBC in the last week or two. It was crazy how far some people went to improve fuel economy. Here is some of what I remember:

1.) Drive like Grandma.
2.) Avoid getting the engine over 2000rpm when taking off, or really at anytime.
3.) Avoid left turns if possible.
4.) Consider your rout to work. If you live in a big city, a toll way and toll tag is gonna save you gas since there wont be so much stop and go traffic. A toll tag is probably $50-100 bucks a year. I think it is in Texas at least. I cant remember exactly. All I remember is thinking it would EASILY pay for itself in a year many times over.
5.) I don't know if this is true or not, but they say if you are at a stoplight, now in today's fuel injected cars (this was NOT true back in the days of carb'd cars), you should turn off the engine at traffic lights if you expect to be there more than 10 seconds. I have a hard time believing that, but you could try it.
6.) Remove side mirrors. I wouldn't got this far, but they do produce drag.
7.) If you are on the highway, tailgate, especially behind 18 wheelers. This is the same concept as drafting in NASCAR. You can get some serious mpg improvements here 15-30%. Just be careful and don't piss any truck drivers off.
8.) If the speed limit is 70, go 65. I turn my fuel economy graph thingy on my info screen and my MPG is considerably better going 60 vs going 70...like 3-4 mpg better.
9.) Those performance mods with the intake and exaust might help a little, but probably not enough to justify the cost. I am willing to bet it would take at least 50,000 miles of driving to recover your cost in fuel economy savings. Crunch the numbers.
10.) Turn off the A/C.
11.) Weight. If there is ANYTHING unnecessary in your truck, take it out. You are paying for every mile you carry it around.
12.) Make sure your airfilter is clean.
14.) Tire pressure. Make sure they are fully inflated at the right psi.
15.) Toneau covers I hear can help. Dropping your tailgate I hear can also help. I doubt this would be very significant. Just an idea.
16.) Overall proper scheduled maintenance.
17.) When parking, park to where you don't have to put your car in reverse when you leave.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
buy a scangage2 and watch the MPGs. That is really the only way you can better your gas mileage. I am seriously thinking of getting one so I can watch mine. Good luck... You really rack up the miles, mine only has 12k on it... wow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rather then try to push a chain up a hill, perhaps thinking outside the box is in order.

How about a K&N filter and Screaming Eagle exhaust on your new Harley Road Glide.

It won't help your Titan much, but the MPG will be around 50ish and given the price drop in picking up a new Harley, you could say you are going green with the new bike. :eveilgrin

I traded in my 2000 Infiniti I30t and I am selling my 2001 Chev K2500 with a 6.2 litre diesel for my new 07 Titan CC. I am still wondering when the gas pump is going to stop whenever I fuel up. Tis the nature of the beast.

BTW I have a 95 FLSTC with a 96” S&S. It’s doesn’t get 50 mpg anymore, but it sure is fun to ride!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Your not going to get better gas mileage by an means with any truck. Best thing is proper maintenance and drive slow from a dead stop and use your cruise control on the highway as much as possible. The only way of really saving gas is you can control your fuel at idle. I've seen a really big increase in fuel savings in my Evolution by taking away fuel at idle but in this case, it is different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts