Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And if it belongs somewhere else, forgive me and move it.

Searching around I see that the Titan comes stock with 3.35 and 2.93s, I also see that there are aftermarket gears for you guys of 4:10s and even 4.56!

Basically, I am a 300zx person needing some different gearing. Stock we have a r230 shortnose rear end, my research indicates that you guys have the short nose r230 front diffy.

I have the 3.69, you guys have the 3.35 and 2.93 in that r230. It seems to me that I should be able to take the ring and pinion from the Titan r230 front end and put them into a 300zx r230 rear end.

To that end I have a couple of questions, who supplies you guys with the 4.56 and such gears? (we have a 4.10 source, but I wonder if your guys is cheaper). Does anyone make something lower than the stock 2.93s?

Right now I am working on an engine swap, with the engine I will be running with my stock transmission gives me a top speed of 133mph with the 2.93s, this is just BARELY enough for what I need, and is a far cry better than the 3.69s I have now.

Hoping you guys have something Probative for me! TIA

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hello fellow Z fan. :) Though I can't directly tell you if this is possible or not, but I can steer you in a direction of the best source I can think of. Contact STILLEN.com and ask if they know. They as you know, they know their way around a Z, and for a couple of years have been working with the Titans. I would think they would have some spare parts off both vehicles to see if the gears would be swappable.
I hope this helps and hope that you find out what you are looking for.

Z-Hauler AKA WAGGZ (TwinTurbo.net)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I think Jim Wolf Technology would have more experience with the 300Z. Clark Steppler was very helpful with my 240SX in the past and shared a lot of detailed information of what can and can't be done in terms of parts swapping and retrofitting. Their 350Z with the Titan engine experience might be valuable for your application.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/news.asp

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Nobody has released aftermarket Gears for the Titan. Many promises, and we may be very close now, but it hasn't happened yet! It is a Nissan spec'd version of a Dana 44, parts are not interchangeable with other rears. Somebody recently adapted gears by making a bushing of some sort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Z-Hauler said:
Hello fellow Z fan. :) Though I can't directly tell you if this is possible or not, but I can steer you in a direction of the best source I can think of. Contact STILLEN.com and ask if they know. They as you know, they know their way around a Z, and for a couple of years have been working with the Titans. I would think they would have some spare parts off both vehicles to see if the gears would be swappable.
I hope this helps and hope that you find out what you are looking for.

Z-Hauler AKA WAGGZ (TwinTurbo.net)
Hi waggz, this is zluster, different worlds different identities for the both of us I suppose eh?

Stealin......I could shoot them an email but I doubt I will get anything probative, heck if I wanted to I could buy the 2.93s ring and pinion for the front end for $310......though I was hoping to find out something else before I took a $310 gamble........

MuskyHunter said:
I think Jim Wolf Technology would have more experience with the 300Z. Clark Steppler was very helpful with my 240SX in the past and shared a lot of detailed information of what can and can't be done in terms of parts swapping and retrofitting. Their 350Z with the Titan engine experience might be valuable for your application.

You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.
JWT is great if you need off the shelf stuff or even something that has potential for resale, problem is not alot of people are lining up for higher gears than 3.69 for their TTs.

TitanBlue said:
Nobody has released aftermarket Gears for the Titan. Many promises, and we may be very close now, but it hasn't happened yet! It is a Nissan spec'd version of a Dana 44, parts are not interchangeable with other rears. Somebody recently adapted gears by making a bushing of some sort.
Damm, At least it was good to finally get that answered one way or another, it is not the dana 44 rear I am interested in, it is the r230 front end.

FYI if your ring and pinion is interchangeable with our ring and pinion, then there are 4.10 gears already being produced that could be used in the front, then that would only leave you with getting gears for the nissan speced dana 44 rear matched for 4.10.

Let me ask you this, the 2.93 is really what I need, it seems that the 3.35s are in demand for you guys, to me this means that there should be 2.92s on the market for people who has switched.......how often do used 2.93 ring and pinions come up for sale?

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Sir Sam said:
.how often do used 2.93 ring and pinions come up for sale?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone swap gears on a 4x4. Heck, I don't think I've seen anyone swap gears at all. A couple people have swapped whole rear assemblies on a 2WD, but that's all that I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
93,864 Posts
I have some buddies who are into Jeeps, and I know they change out their gears.

·
Super Moderator
93,864 Posts
Sammy Sandbag said:
Ummmmm....... :huh:

We're talking about Titans here.
I realize that, just saying (poorly) that it can be done. There are custom gear manufacturers out there.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Arachnid said:
I realize that, just saying (poorly) that it can be done. There are custom gear manufacturers out there.
And here's a guy who put a jet engine on a VW Beetle: http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

Guess anything is possible.

:teethmast

Unfortunately, most folks aren't willing to spend the money (or even afford to) for custom gears. I don't foresee gears in our future unless a major manufacturer starts putting them out, not small lot stuff. There is a little bit of light though, the fact that the '07 Jeep Wranglers run a D44 with 32 spline shafts. Not sure if the carrier is the same, but maybe the gears are interchangeable.

·
Registered
690 Posts
TitanBlue said:
The rear is a Dana 44, but isn't the front a Dana 60 style, or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Z-Hauler said:
The rear is a Dana 44, but isn't the front a Dana 60 style, or am I mistaken?
Front on the Titan? Front on the Titan is the r230 just like our TTs have Waggz, so the question becomes if they are both short nose r230s then will the ring and pinion just swap out? Thats what I need to find out for sure.

So regardless of who is making or working on gears, if you guys could find a 4.10 ring and pinion for the rear end, then there is already an off the shelf setup for the front end, that is if everything will just swap out like I am thinking it will.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Sammy Sandbag said:
Most definitely not a D60, though that'd be nice, albeit a little overkill.
My mistake. I dont know where the hell I got that idea from. :bangit:

Well if the internals ARE swappable, I would like to see how well the 300ZX LSD will work as a 4WD front diff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Z-Hauler said:
My mistake. I dont know where the hell I got that idea from. :bangit:

Well if the internals ARE swappable, I would like to see how well the 300ZX LSD will work as a 4WD front diff.
Not well, your wheels need to turn at different speeds, if you want traction up front get a locker you can engage/disengage.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Sir Sam said:
Not well, your wheels need to turn at different speeds, if you want traction up front get a locker you can engage/disengage.
Or if we had manual locking hubs, but those have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Yeah an LSD or auto-locker upfront wouldn't be too hot on a street driven truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sammy Sandbag said:
Or if we had manual locking hubs, but those have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Yeah an LSD or auto-locker upfront wouldn't be too hot on a street driven truck.
Ya, I hate that, my Cherokee is the same way of course, I gotta think you would get better gas mileage if all that running gear wasnt turning all the time.

"But I want automatic 4wd, I dont want to have to get out and lock the hubs"

So get out, lock them, and leave them like that forever, it would be the same as what you have now.

Heck I would probably engage them during the first snow storm, and not disengage em till may hit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are the Titan's front gears "reverse rotation" like many other front diffs? If this is so then you will not want to use these gears in a rear application as you will be applying drive forces to the weaker side of the gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ORTitan said:
Are the Titan's front gears "reverse rotation" like many other front diffs? If this is so then you will not want to use these gears in a rear application as you will be applying drive forces to the weaker side of the gear.
I do not know for sure, I am just hoping that since they are both r230 diffys that they will not be different in terms of the rotation.

though it would be easy for someone with a 4wd to tell me if it is or not, just tell me which way it rotates so I can compare that to mine.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I seem to remember the front differential being a Dana 205 that was specifically developed for the Titan, not a r230.

Yep, a Dana 205, at least according to AI-Online. Unfortunately, these guys are charging a subscription to view their site now, so I can't read it anymore ... should have cut & pasted the article.

me said:
I found this article on the Titan's axles on Automotive Industries website.
It doesn't answer the rear axle name/number question but covers the front, which they call a Dana 205. They are made at Dana’s Columbia, Mo. facility. It also mentions that the E-LOCK is provided by Tochiji-Fuji
http://www.ai-online.com/issues/article_detail.asp?id=189

The article does state that the number of teeth was increased on the rear and the front axles' ring gear and pinion sets in an attempt to make the gear operation smoother.

Issue: June 2003
"Making Titan Tougher"
Dana Corp. supplies innovative axle technologies to Nissan’s big trucks.
by AI staff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts