Nissan Titan Forum banner

OMG, gas mileage

8K views 84 replies 45 participants last post by  Overide 
#1 ·
Took Juma's advice and aired tires up to 40 pounds. Ran Shell gas (87) through a tank. I have a 4x4 KC non Big-Tow. No tonneau, and tail gate up. Ran 70 mph, set on cruise-control.

Took a trip this weekend. Air not running. Filled tank to the max, "couldn't take an ounce more". Ran 126 miles and used 6.10 gallons of gas. Once again, filled and couldn't take an ounce more. All with Shell gas.

I do the math and come up with 20.65 MPG. I repeat 20.65 MPG. Stoked... Going to get that Extang Tuff Tonneau after all. The Beast might hit 21......

#2 ·
you had a good tail wind. now turn around and drive it back. 12mpg or i will buy your truck and your house.

all my tires are in the high 30s, i think 38 last time i checked. beware that if you overair them they will wear improperly and new tires can buy you a lot of gas

#4 ·
My right foot could care less about gas mileage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
blavis said:
It's nice to read a MPG thread with a positive story.:) I'm glad more Titans are seeing better mileage.

don't tell me you didn't read about the titans that get 30mpg.. true story. :rofl:

#7 ·
I'm averaging about 320+ miles per tank with city/highway combine. All highway, I think I average about 400 miles per tank. I've got an XE but I'm running the desert duelers 245/75/17's with the stock off road rims. Air pressure is set at 36psi.

#8 ·
I average 18 on trips, but have had 21 mpg on one tank!!

Ain't it great!!!

#9 ·
Such a pessimist!! I'll take that bet.. On the way there I had 18.7 with the headwind.

You're telling me not to overair?? With 2 pounds more at 40?? Give me a break.. Such a bad attitude for a Titan buddy.

gyrate said:
you had a good tail wind. now turn around and drive it back. 12mpg or i will buy your truck and your house.

all my tires are in the high 30s, i think 38 last time i checked. beware that if you overair them they will wear improperly and new tires can buy you a lot of gas

#10 ·
Thanks for the post??

redneckpapa1996 said:
My right foot could care less about gas mileage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 ·
HemiETR said:
Such a pessimist!! I'll take that bet.. On the way there I had 18.7 with the headwind.

You're telling me not to overair?? With 2 pounds more at 40?? Give me a break.. Such a bad attitude for a Titan buddy.
5 extra psi will not cause irregular tire wear on a full size truck.

#13 ·
gyrate said:

Sad! Why is it that some don't believe good gas milage?
I average back and forth 18 all day long!

If you're getting schitty gas milage I'm sorry, but get over it that a few of us do.

My tires are aired at 35-38, and get good gas milage.

It's not rocket science!!:readclose

P.S. I get uneven wear on my tires from too many burn outs!!!!!! :rofl:

#15 ·
I looked at a 07 Titan recently. The gas mileage figures have changed, specifically they show a range. The highway mileage I saw "ranged" from 15 to 22 (as I recall). I read an article on Edmunds.com that said all the gas mileage testing had been done up to 60 mph but they are changing that and increasing it to 70 with brisker acceleration..

Even though I am 41, I have yet to set the cruise below 75, which yields me 17 mpg btw. I am fully confident I could get 18 or 19 (in a flat part of the country) going 65 and perhaps 20 going 60. The wind resistance kills you I guess. I Have tried to maximize my mileage by switching to synthetic oil etc. I though I may get a bump when I added a cap, still 17 at 75 but I was heavily loaded on a trip. I'm about to take another trip and am considering TRYING to go 70 to see what I get.

Having said that, I have chosen in the past to spend more money to get there more quickly.

I DO believe it is possible to get 20 in a Titan but you would have to drive pretty slow on the highway.

#16 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
gyrate....lol....all you can do is read it, laugh, and move on. Trust me....it is VERY entertaining to read but....not worth commenting on.
Yes, please move on. We all know your opinion about gas milage!!!:smoke:

#17 ·
Did anyone see the MythBusters episode (I could be WAY late on this)
where they tested gas mileage for a truck? The mesh tailgate thing was the only thing that improved mileage versus tailgate down, tailgate removed, tailgate up and tonneau cover.

If they didn't look so damn backwoods I might consider it.

#18 ·
I thought I'd get better mpg with the tailgate down. Same for me as tailgate up.

straightpipez said:
Did anyone see the MythBusters episode (I could be WAY late on this)
where they tested gas mileage for a truck? The mesh tailgate thing was the only thing that improved mileage versus tailgate down, tailgate removed, tailgate up and tonneau cover.

If they didn't look so damn backwoods I might consider it.

#20 ·
i've got the exact same truck as the original poster, I"m getting around 15 mpg...and most of it is on the highway.

04 kc 4x4 non-big tow non-off road.

No tonneau cover.

I can't believe Nissan would have such loose standards that one truck gets 20 mpg and all the others get 15 mpg or so. Someone at Nissan needs a pat on the back for whatever they did that day.

#21 ·
Before getting my mods, I could go between 320 - 350 miles on one tank of gas. Now I'm only able to go about 300 miles before filling up.

#23 ·
Dont know how you guys do it. If I drive like an old man in the city, the absolute best I ever got on premium fuel was 12 1/2 MPG. On a trip from sarasota to miami with the cruise set on 75 the best I got was 16 mpg on the highway on premium fuel. What gives. Are you guys actually doing the math right? My diesel does 14.9 in the city and the comp. is doing all the calculating.

#24 ·
rvandam said:
You mean "couldn't care less", right? :rofl:
uh-o the grammar police are here!

#25 ·
Helinut1970 said:
Dont know how you guys do it. If I drive like an old man in the city, the absolute best I ever got on premium fuel was 12 1/2 MPG. On a trip from sarasota to miami with the cruise set on 75 the best I got was 16 mpg on the highway on premium fuel. What gives. Are you guys actually doing the math right? My diesel does 14.9 in the city and the comp. is doing all the calculating.
Heli....I avg. 13.5 -15 and I drive hard, all the time, w/lots of breaking and a$$loads of traffic - even with the mods in the sig. It changed for the good when I switched to Shell; I was using Racetrack or Sheets gas here in Va.

#26 ·
12glocks said:
I looked at a 07 Titan recently. The gas mileage figures have changed, specifically they show a range. The highway mileage I saw "ranged" from 15 to 22 (as I recall). I read an article on Edmunds.com that said all the gas mileage testing had been done up to 60 mph but they are changing that and increasing it to 70 with brisker acceleration..

Even though I am 41, I have yet to set the cruise below 75, which yields me 17 mpg btw. I am fully confident I could get 18 or 19 (in a flat part of the country) going 65 and perhaps 20 going 60. The wind resistance kills you I guess. I Have tried to maximize my mileage by switching to synthetic oil etc. I though I may get a bump when I added a cap, still 17 at 75 but I was heavily loaded on a trip. I'm about to take another trip and am considering TRYING to go 70 to see what I get.

Having said that, I have chosen in the past to spend more money to get there more quickly.

I DO believe it is possible to get 20 in a Titan but you would have to drive pretty slow on the highway.

The EPA changed gas mileage standards for 08 on, Not sure why the 07 would have any different than earlier models. All new vehicles 08 and beyond will show lower mpg because the standards are more real world now rather than lab tested like before.

My truck gets between 13-15 average closer to 15 in summer and closer to 13 in winter. That is mostly stop and go traffic on back roads with a small bit of highway. Best i've seen so far is 16.9 on trip to PA in winter. My airbox mod gave me about 1mpg increase so im hoping to see 15 average from now on but time will tell...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.