Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my 4th Nissan truck, 1st T, had a 2000 Kcab frontier 2wd, 04 crew frontier 2wd, and 05 4x4 6spd crew(favorite for sure). well i traded in my 05 frontier for my 04 titan because my boat was gona wear the clutch out on the steep ramps and hills where i live and i got a good deal on the T. did not do as much research as i usually do before buying and i never buy a 1st year model. i had looked at an 08 pro X but the price was more than i could afford and this 04 offroad crew came along for 11.5K with 90K miles so i bought it. the kid in me got the best of me and made me miss some things that im starting to hate about the T. 1st, why is the interior fabric so sh*tty? my frontiers had way way way more durable seat fabric, i dont get it? 2nd the t rattles everywhere with the crap plastic compared to all my frontiers which never rattled and i abused the hell out of them at my ranch especially the 04 that has 220K miles that i gave to my dad. 3rd, i did not notice the cracked manifolds which make my 04 truck sound like a 84 beater with clicking of the exhaust, i know this was my fault for not being patient but how did nissan design such a terrible exhaust manifold? we have an 02 ram with 250K miles and the exhaust note sounds so much better and we dog that truck with trailers and just drive it hard all day, and even though it looks like crap i would prefer to drive it so i dont hear the CIS! 4th Already had to replace the front dif seal, which is not that bad. i am thinking about trading this in for something else if i can find a good deal and someone will buy my T, had it on CL for a week and a half and not one call, asking 12K, but i guess most people buying trucks will stay away from titans knowing they are probably the worst gas efficiency trucks on the road. not even sure what i want, but if i could do it again i would definitely have not traded my frontier even if the clutch would have gotten worn out, at least i would be able to drive it hard and not worry about the tranny as i already do with the T. Any thoughts on getting nissan to warranty the manifolds, even though its passed the 8 year/80k warranty i still think they should step up for this if i cant sell it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sorry to hear about your regret. I loved my 03 CC 4x4 5spd frontier to death and miss it just because it was paid off besides that my 09 T is nicer in every aspect but it is leather interior and pretty new.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yea i am usually very calculated when i make a big purchase, i have been such a big fan of nissan that i didn't notice these things, well the seat fabric i did but thought it would be worth repairing b/c the rest of the truck was solid until i drove it daily. nissanbyblood, why'd you get your wife a scion,lol, aren't they made by toyota!?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm a Nissan fan and have been forever but I couldn't talk her into a maxima and at least the scion is japanese. She's got 65k on it now and let me tell you it's one hell of a car 35mpg doing 75mph all day on the interstate. It's got the big camry engine in a car smaller then the corolla. It's not as fun as the Z is to run around in but it's a quality automobile. If Toyota could just make more cars more presentable to look at they would be in business.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
1st, why is the interior fabric so sh*tty? my frontiers had way way way more durable seat fabric, i dont get it?
The fabric is cheap because Nissan goes with the most inexpensive material at the lowest bidder cost. All manufacturers do this. The only way to avoid this is to buy a more expensive luxury/sports car from Mercedes Benz, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, ect, where you usually get better materials for the interior fabric compared to a $25K mass produced truck.

2nd the t rattles everywhere with the crap plastic compared to all my frontiers which never rattled and i abused the hell out of them at my ranch especially the 04 that has 220K miles that i gave to my dad.
The Frontier is made with the same crap plastic as the Titan. So is the Tundra, Sierra and Dodge Ram. In the Titan's case, the pillarless king cab body style contributes to more squeaks and rattles than the pillared crew cab body style. I've driven crew cab model Titans and they were pretty tight and mostly rattle free.

3rd, i did not notice the cracked manifolds which make my 04 truck sound like a 84 beater with clicking of the exhaust, i know this was my fault for not being patient but how did nissan design such a terrible exhaust manifold?
A first year new design is always going to have teething problems. Other manufacturers have experienced manifold problems with their new trucks as well. The Titan was completely all new for 04. New body, engine, tranny, frame, everything. It took them a few years, but Nissan finally fixed the manifold problems on the later trucks.

but we have an 02 ram with 250K miles and the exhaust note sounds so much better and we dog that truck with trailers and just drive it hard all day, and even though it looks like crap i would prefer to drive it so i dont hear the CIS!
DOHC V8's sound a little different than cam in block engines. However, the CIS sound means you probably have a crappy flowmaster or similar aftermarket exhaust system on your truck. You have to be careful in what kind of catback exhaust you get for the Titan. My Titan is stock and it doesn't not have any CIS sound to it.

4th Already had to replace the front dif seal, which is not that bad. i am thinking about trading this in for something else if i can find a good deal and someone will buy my T, had it on CL for a week and a half and not one call, asking 12K, but i guess most people buying trucks will stay away from titans knowing they are probably the worst gas efficiency trucks on the road.
Where are you getting this information from? The premium 6.2L engines from GM and Ford get worse MPG than the Titan and the Tundra 5.7L is not far behind in the real world.

if i could do it again i would definitely have not traded my frontier even if the clutch would have gotten worn out, at least i would be able to drive it hard and not worry about the tranny as i already do with the T.
I think you're confusing the Titan with the Dodge Ram. If you had an older Dodge Ram, then you'd have to worry about the tranny. The tranny is not a problem area for the Titan so you're worry for nothing.

Any thoughts on getting nissan to warranty the manifolds, even though its passed the 8 year/80k warranty i still think they should step up for this if i cant sell it.
Take it to a shop have them weld up the cracks. Or, have the cracked manifolds replaced with good used ones. We're lucky Nissan was forced under emissions to warranty them for 8yrs/80k miles. What do you want them to do? Warranty the manifolds for life? I wish...

When you buy a truck that has 90K+ miles, you're at the mercy of how the previous owner/s have driven it during those miles. Not only did you buy a truck with super high mileage, but you bought a first year model as well. Don't based your particular experience as final judgement for all Titans. There are a lot owners out there, including me, that have been very happy with their trucks.

Reactions: TitanBlue

·
Registered
233 Posts
you probably have a crappy flowmaster or similar aftermarket exhaust system.
Excuse me I have flowmaster exhaust on my truck and get complements everytime I stop to get gas or go to the store. It's one of the best tone systems I've ever had. How does someone with stock exhaust judge anything?

I think you're confusing the Titan with the Dodge Ram. If you had an older Dodge Ram, then you'd have to worry about the tranny.
This is true, our tranny is nearly bulletproof compared with anything dodge.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Miketan, i have compared the fabric from my o4 and 05 frontier to the titan fabric and its not anywhere close, the 08 pro x had the same **** fabric that i was looking at, same wear spot as all titans where you get in and out, this is 4 years newer than mine and it was ripped, if you compare them to any other 25K$ truck you can use a hand test and immediately tell the T's is cheaper/thinner, nissan gets no pass, i had a 91 maxima that i delivered pizza's in during college with 300K + miles, guess what NO Rips! wow what a concept

I have stock exhaust, i laid underneath the truck for an hour before i bought it and since, cause i am thinking of gutting cats and doing muffler swap if i keep the truck.

90K miles is not alot for todays vehicles and the technology through R&D, i am going on knowledge from my frontiers and i have one with 220K miles and have not had one issue and no rattles and i drive it hard offroad.

My T was owned by a 60 year old army Vet and the body is in perfect shape which here in Texas is an anomaly, usually when you find a nice truck on the outside, is was not abused. carfax stated no wrecks, or major work so i pulled the trigger.

not saying all titans aren't any good, but the whole "first year" design is such a cop out, like saying oh nissan, you get a pass bc it was your first try. no, dont think so, you are a billion dollar company with years and years of r&d so no major car company should get off dont you think that sounds logical

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I can't say I have the same experience as you. I'm on my 2nd 2004 CC 4x4 SE model, and they have both been good trucks so far. I drove the first one 75k miles before the lease was up, I bought the 2nd one outright (actually I would have bought the first one outright but Nissan wanted too much balloon). The only rattle I've had in either was in the dash under the defroster grill, which is just those little clips. I really bought this truck again for the drivetrain; I've owned and driven a lot of vehicles - well, no lamborghinis or anything like that - and it has the best drivetrain stock of anything I've ever owned. Just a silky smooth engine/transmission combo. So far no one is complaining about transmission problems that I can see regular.

As far as the manifolds, yeah probably a weak spot, also probably depends on the driving done whether they break or not; I'm guessing that short-trippers have more problems than guys like me who spend a lot of time on the interstate in single shots.

On the fabric, I agree about the first group fabric, which I suspect is why Nissan put a better fabric in the 08-up. But that's easy enough to change. As for the wear spot, that's more a function of having to slide across the seat because of the height. If you have side steps the side wear ends. That's why I keep side steps on the truck (that and for my wife ;) ).

Sometimes you find a vehicle just isn't for you. No crime in that. I had a Pathfinder that I thought I would grow to love but even though it was reliable and loaded with options I could never get comfortable in it and never really enjoyed driving it - it was a ride rather than a drive. I love driving the Titan, even with high gas prices. If you like driving the vehicle, the things you mention are easily remedied. If you don't like driving it, then no amount of remedies is going to satisfy you and you should just sell it and move on.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
if your fronteir was nismo it comes with way more durable fabric, better suspension etc..my buddy had an 06 nismo frontier ...very nice midsize truck but not near enough power to be towing especiall with a 6-speed....you did buy a first year production truck (older than your fronteir) that comes with the same breaks as the midsize etc etc prob not the best trade IMO....you would have been much happier with the pro 4x

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no both my frontiers were xe and se which are the base and mid level trim so they did not have the nismo fabric. when i looked at the 08 pro x crew it had the same wear spot on it and i wish i would have bought that one for 5 grand more looking back on it, but i did not want to push my budget and sacrifice my boating hobby. i guess now if i don't sell it i am thinking of doing the DT longtubes and muffler swap so it doesn't sound like a beater when i accelerate, i do agree that the powertrain is super smooth, but when i drive my brothers 08 f150 with the 5.4 his feels alot more punchy and they are rated about the same torque and horsepower but his has 44K miles and mine has 94K, so i dont know. i really love the look of the T and the fact that i have something different than the big 3, that is why i have always loved the frontiers for their value and they are different than the tacoma.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
ah i see....yeah ill tell you at 90,000 im sure its ready for new spark plugs, if you do the dt lts and superchips cortex(i dont think the bdgt works on 04s) you will fall back in love with the truck gaurentee it. i promise it will feel A LOT more punchy than a 5.4 triton too. make sure you have the Y-pipe on the exhaust fixed when you get the system done...it will be a whole new ride

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
i do agree that the powertrain is super smooth, but when i drive my brothers 08 f150 with the 5.4 his feels alot more punchy and they are rated about the same torque and horsepower but his has 44K miles and mine has 94K, so i dont know. i really love the look of the T and the fact that i have something different than the big 3, that is why i have always loved the frontiers for their value and they are different than the tacoma.
There's either something wrong with your truck then or it's your imagination. We have those 150's at work and I can tell you unequivocally they are nowhere near as badass as the Titan in terms of the drivetrain. Don't get me wrong, I like the 150's, they are a good truck, but you don't buy them for the drivetrain, you buy them for the overall package (towing, durability, payload, service, etc).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I share in your Titan frustrations. I became a Nissan lover from my 00 Frontier SE, I put 175,000 trouble free miles on it.

Ive had my titan for about a year now and had nothing but trouble with it. Front diff, rear axle seals, exhaust manifold leaks.

My check engine light comes on so often I may have to replace the worn out bulb.

I wish I had my frontier back.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I have an 04' with almost 106k on it, only thing thats gone wrong is the front diff detonated ($600 to replace it) and my driver side window regulator went out($190 to replace) other than that its a solid truck and I drive it like I stole it. :teethmast

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Miketan, i have compared the fabric from my o4 and 05 frontier to the titan fabric and its not anywhere close, the 08 pro x had the same **** fabric that i was looking at, same wear spot as all titans where you get in and out, this is 4 years newer than mine and it was ripped, if you compare them to any other 25K$ truck you can use a hand test and immediately tell the T's is cheaper/thinner, nissan gets no pass, i had a 91 maxima that i delivered pizza's in during college with 300K + miles, guess what NO Rips! wow what a concept
It doesn't matter what year the vehicle is when it comes to ripped or worn out seat fabric. It's depends on the size of the driver's a$$ that slides/sits in it everyday. Get a big fat guy (or gal) with a huge a$$ and the seat is going to wear out a lot faster than a lighter skinny driver who's careful getting in and out of the truck. With my truck, I'm careful to not slide too much over the cheap seat fabric so I don't wear it out any more than it has to. By doing this, the seat still looks like new and is not ripped and I weigh about 200lbs. Even though I have only 29K miles, those miles have been a lot of short trips with me getting in and out of the seat. And, I have a 2.5" leveling kit with a .75" rear spacer and no steps. I'm pretty careful with things like this, but most people are not. I've seen $50K Corvette's with worn out side bolsters and rocking drivers seats in just a year's worth of time. I do agree the fabric is pretty thin, but that's what we get for having the class leading 5.6L Endurance engine and 5-sp tranny (I'm talking '04 model year here) as standard equipment.

I have stock exhaust, i laid underneath the truck for an hour before i bought it and since, cause i am thinking of gutting cats and doing muffler swap if i keep the truck.
Well, if that's the case, then you have a exhaust/manifold leak that's producing the CIS sound. I still have the original manifolds on mine (probably cracked) and my truck does not have a CIS sound to it. There's something wrong with your exhaust or manifolds that's causing the crappy CIS sound.

90K miles is not alot for todays vehicles and the technology through R&D, i am going on knowledge from my frontiers and i have one with 220K miles and have not had one issue and no rattles and i drive it hard offroad.
It is a lot when those miles where accumulated from another owner on a used vehicle, especially a truck, which can haul/tow heavy loads and go off roading. Today's vehicles are better built, but on average they don't last that much longer than a well cared for older vehicle. I've owned pre '90 vehicles that went past 150K regularly without any major drivetrain problems. It just depends on how well it was cared for. Back in the '90's, my uncle bought a numbers matching original '70 Chevelle SS 396 (black cherry with white stripes) that had 275K original miles on it. It ran good, looked like new and didn't burn any oil. He also had a '84 CFI Corvette that had close to 200K miles and that ran like new and didn't burn any oil either.

My T was owned by a 60 year old army Vet and the body is in perfect shape which here in Texas is an anomaly, usually when you find a nice truck on the outside, is was not abused. carfax stated no wrecks, or major work so i pulled the trigger.
Not necessarily. Just because it looks great on the outside does not mean it was maintained properly on the inside or not abused. Carfax is not 100% reliable when it comes to prior damage. There have been vehicles with clean records on Carfax that have been damaged previously. And, that's only if the insurance company gets involved with the repairs. If somebody wrecks their truck out on the trial and then gets it fixed on their own dime, Carfax will show nothing but a clean record even though the truck was damaged. The only way you would know for sure is buying new or personally knowing the previous owner. This was the same dilemna I was in, back in '05. Do I take a risk and buy a used truck? Or, do I bite the bullet and buy new? I decided to buy new because I knew no one would take care of a truck like I would. Plus, I was sick of buying used vehicles and fixing all the crap the previous owner/s had done to the vehicle.

not saying all titans aren't any good, but the whole "first year" design is such a cop out, like saying oh nissan, you get a pass bc it was your first try. no, dont think so, you are a billion dollar company with years and years of r&d so no major car company should get off dont you think that sounds logical
It sounds logical and I agree with you. However, that same logic would dictate that it's generally not a good idea buy anything that is all new from the ground up in the first model year of production. If you were to research any brand new first year model design, you will find that the Nissan Titan is not alone when it comes to these problems. If you decide to purchase used and it's a first year model design, you have to be prepared for problems if they crop up. Take that '84 Vette my uncle owned. The original CTS switch was made of a material that would breakdown from underhood engine heat causing all sorts of hard to diagnose drivability problems. After I spliced in a new connector that was totally redesigned with better materials, the car ran good and no longer stumbled or hesitated during hard acceleration.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i drove the T some today and do think its got more power and punch than i give it credit for but thats probably bc gas is so high that lately i have been driving it like a granny, but i got on it a few times today and it felt really good, but the sound is still annoying as all get out. just dont know if i wanna drop 600 on the Dt's, thats alot of gas money. my upholstery guy who does my boat interiors says he can do the side seat insert with some heavier fabric so that is what i will do if i cant sell it. if i could find an 05+ automatic frontier 4x4 than i would trade it and pay the difference but i cannot find one in texas that is a crew, bc i would drive across the state if i could find one. realistically i tow my 4500 lb boat once a week about 25 miles round trip and sometimes 100 miles round trip to austin so its not like i need the towing power every day. anyone know if the stock manifolds can be welded, anyone done that? i have searched threads and have not found anyone that did it, and if i sell to an individual i would want to fix it bc i doubt anyone will buy it once they test drive it like i did.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Manifolds can be welded but you are going to have to find someone that knows how. Cast iron is a pia to weld. Not everyone can do it. Hook your boat up to it before you make your decision, titan is a tow monster.

Btw I had a 04 and had the dash rattle, it was the panel on the dash that the defrost air comes through. dealer put some foam strips under it and no more rattle. My 05 didn't rattle but I did crack my manifolds. They leaked until they got hot then no more leak.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
well i drove the T some today and do think its got more power and punch than i give it credit for but thats probably bc gas is so high that lately i have been driving it like a granny, but i got on it a few times today and it felt really good, but the sound is still annoying as all get out. just dont know if i wanna drop 600 on the Dt's, thats alot of gas money..
My r/s manifold was cracked and the truck sounded like crap, lost 2 MPG, and a lot of horsepower. I swear it was a different truck. Had the truck for so many years I guess I didn't realize what was happening until it got real bad. Once I had the manifold replace I had my baby again. I know you don't want to spend the money and I get it with gas, bills and everything else but I really think if you are going to keep the truck you should fix it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There is nothing about the frontiers that would make me wanna get back in one after having a Titan except having to park this monster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts