Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had by mistake taken my wifes Titan keys this morning instead of mine, and was unable to open the Drivers side LockBox on my brand new 08 Titan CC SE. When I got home, she suggested that I try her keys (neither one of us was aware that we had the others keys) and the LockBox opened! I was flabbergasted that her idea worked (it sure made no sense in my mind that it would). Thats when I noticed that the two Titan keys were different. One (mine) has the shiny Nissan logo, and the other key (hers) has the Black Nissan logo. The shiny one opens the lockbox, and the black one doesn't! Is this by design? Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks. Love the site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,032 Posts
Yes, I have an 04 and the exact same issue. I thought I was going crazy at one point. Oh well, not to big of a deal I guess. If anyone knows the reasoning behind this let us know. I am curious.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
sounds like a "valet key" they don't open compartments but will crank the vehicle. Normally you get two regular keys and a valet key when you buy a vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
you should have two master keys that have the chrome logo, one valet key all black, and the number plate in case you need new keys cut at the dealer. it's section 3-2 in the 04-06 manuals; your's should be simiilar. if you were shorted, go back and get the missing one.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-manual/index.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, Thank you guys for the info. I appreciate it. I will check back with the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
If you have the locking center console, you'll find the valet key doesn't work there either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
I ran into the same problem with my 05 Titan - I was shorted 1 master key - (only had 1 master key and 1 valet key). Of course I didn't realize it until about 6 months after i bought the truck so I didn't get anywhere with the dealer.

So when I got my 06, I got it from a different dealer, as well as having all 3 keys.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer took care of it. They cut a new key, matched it up (programed it) to the Titan, took about 20 minutes in all. Great service in Danville, VA.
Whoo Hoo! I love this truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
The dealer took care of it. They cut a new key, matched it up (programed it) to the Titan, took about 20 minutes in all. Great service in Danville, VA.
Whoo Hoo! I love this truck.
EXCELLENT !!!!
Glad you got it sorted out.

:) -- Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
TIsTAN said:
you should have two master keys that have the chrome logo, one valet key all black, and the number plate in case you need new keys cut at the dealer. it's section 3-2 in the 04-06 manuals; your's should be simiilar. if you were shorted, go back and get the missing one.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-manual/index.html
My truck, bought it slightly used, came with 1 key and 1 remote, and 1 spare key-- no number plate and no 2nd remote. I just found out that the spare key is a master key, not a valet key, and it appears to be a copy (no Nissan logo).

I just called the dealership, they want $23 for a new key, cut using my VIN to obtain the pattern. However, they claim they have to program it to work with my vehicle-- $53 at the service department. Is this correct? I didn't think my Titan had a Sentry Key style system. This makes me wonder if my spare key works properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
Energizer said:
However, they claim they have to program it to work with my vehicle-- $53 at the service department. Is this correct?
As far as I know, all Titans have the vehicle immobilizer chip in the key and that's what needs to be programmed. And if you have a new key made, I believe ALL the existing keys also need to be reprogrammed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
Energizer said:
My truck, bought it slightly used, came with 1 key and 1 remote, and 1 spare key-- no number plate and no 2nd remote. I just found out that the spare key is a master key, not a valet key, and it appears to be a copy (no Nissan logo).

I just called the dealership, they want $23 for a new key, cut using my VIN to obtain the pattern. However, they claim they have to program it to work with my vehicle-- $53 at the service department. Is this correct? I didn't think my Titan had a Sentry Key style system. This makes me wonder if my spare key works properly.
not sure what years, but some XEs don't have the immobilizer system. yes do bring in all of the keys if you need reprogramming. if i bought my truck new from the dealership, i would expect to have those items and nothing less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
TIsTAN said:
not sure what years, but some XEs don't have the immobilizer system. yes do bring in all of the keys if you need reprogramming. if i bought my truck new from the dealership, i would expect to have those items and nothing less.
I would have bought new, but at the time, there wasn't much to chose from on the dealer lots, so I looked for a used one with a good meadly of options and I saved a bunch of $$$ buying one that was under a year old :)

Then I built it up :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top