Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 Titan Pro4x. Well I have to say I like this truck. I want to love this truck but there are some minor bothersome things that get under my skin. The primary issue is the open differential and this Nissan illusion that the function of a limited slip differential can be achieved/simulated by have the anti-lock braking system kick on and slow the spinning wheel to force power over to the other side. Hmmm....seems to work when driving down the road and one tire starts to lose traction since I can feel the system attempting to straighten out the truck (most of the time successfully) as soon as the "Slip" light comes on. My complaint is when I am accelerating, even at a casual pace, and one tire loses traction in snow or dirt. This system seems to have no prayer of catching that run away wheel even at light throttle.

I am in the midst of a 35-inch-so-far month of January snow. Every junky Ford and Chevy I have owned has outperformed my Titan in slick conditions when it comes to traction. I can't be critical of my Titan's performance in 4WD though, since I have only used it in mild conditions with satisfactory results. I see some members opting for a differential swap. Sad to see that this is necessary in an otherwise nice product.

My next fear is the rear end in general. I tow a 7000 pound boat regularly. I am a pretty slow responsible driver, especially with the boat in tow, but it sure seems like there are a lot of inexplicable rear ends detonating in these trucks on Titan forums. Not to get off the original topic but can someone clarify for me if these issues are a problem mostly related to earlier year trucks? I know I have brought this up before but i continue to wallow in paranoia! haha

Agree or am I nuts?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
When I bought my truck I thought I had a real 4 wheel limited slip because it said so on the window sticker but was also disappointed when I found out it was controled though the brake system :confused:

but don't worry to much these trucks still go through some major snow. When I'm out ice fishing I can go anywhere the stock fords and chevys go and usually even into the deeper stuff before having to back out.

here is a good thread to read and watch. It should wipe away any doubts of the Titan's capabilitys http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-towing-hauling/95934-2009-ny-truck-pulls-video.html

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
pssst I have no problems with snow

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I bought my truck I thought I had a real 4 wheel limited slip because it said so on the window sticker but was also disappointed when I found out it was controled though the brake system :confused:

but don't worry to much these trucks still go through some major snow. When I'm out ice fishing I can go anywhere the stock fords and chevys go and usually even into the deeper stuff before having to back out.

here is a good thread to read and watch. It should wipe away any doubts of the Titan's capabilitys http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-towing-hauling/95934-2009-ny-truck-pulls-video.html
After watching your videos I have plenty of confidence in the new style hitches on the Titans. Good job with the pulls! These titans are beasts! I can't wait too get the papers signed on my 2011 tomorrow. The hardest decision I have though is what color too choose. I'm stuck between blizzard white and red alert.

·
Registered
365 Posts
After watching your videos I have plenty of confidence in the new style hitches on the Titans. Good job with the pulls! These titans are beasts! I can't wait too get the papers signed on my 2011 tomorrow. The hardest decision I have though is what color too choose. I'm stuck between blizzard white and red alert.
That is wcfpusher's thread and videos. I just posted a link to it because it shows how well our Titans can pull even with the open differentials :)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I thought the off road models had lockers in the rear, RI first post says he has a Pro4X????????????????????

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Oh and yes, I think the ABLS blows money ballz too. I put my right side in the snow and kept the left on DRY asphalt. I could hear the ABS kicking in but the left tire never moved us. I thought something was wrong with that side, so knowing that my ebrake isn't holding on the left I put it on (to hold the right) and pulled right out, so I think everything is operable.

If there is one thing I would change with this truck, especially living in the North East is that stupid ABLS. How much could it really cost to put lockers in all the models straight for the factory....... really.

Oh by the way, yeah 500 posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
The only good thing about ABLS is when your rear tires lose traction in a turn. A locking differential can quickly cause the rear end to spin out.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
One thing I never have understood is why the heck Titans don't have AUTO Mode 4wd like the Armada does. :confused: .... ABLS combined with AUTO Mode 4wd is the best thing since sliced bread for folks who don't have a Diff Locker available yet because 2wd ABLS sucks monkey balls while 4wd ABLS is pretty sweet for what it is.. I also think that a locker that's only available in 4LO is stupid and shallow thinking... I hate using 4LO, I much prefer to turn the VDC Off and let 'er rip w/o having to worry about an RPM cap...

I also know that tires make a HUGE difference and Nissan OEM tires are ALL JUNK... :D

Sorry to hear your dilemma and unfortunately, I have to agree with your logic...

·
Registered
39 Posts
The best set up I have seen with a limited slip/locker combo is the Dodge Power Wagon. The rear diff on that truck is a tight limited slip and ALSO has an electronic locker. I WISH my Titan had that. I love the locker and have used it several times but I also agree, the ALBS (especially in 2WD) is pretty useless. I had a 2006 Frontier before my Titan and for some reason the ALBS traction control on that truck was way more effective. You could really feel it kick in and give power to the wheel with traction. Oh well, all in all I still love the truck and wouldn't buy anthing else at this point in time.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Detroit ElectracTM
Tractech's helical gear premium limited slip [TruTrac] differential has been given an added feature. It will be available for selected axles with a lock / unlock feature. So, it will be a top quality limited slip design anytime, and when you are off road and need full lock-up to get where you are going, just flip the switch on the dash! Very nice off road gear for your Land Rover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thanks for the feedback guys. I like the point about auto-4wd. My Ford Expeditions all had that and they were grocery-getters compared to this truck. If the technology exists in the Nissan family of cars it sure should be in anything that says PRO-4x on the side! As for the locker.......yeah cool but useless in all but the super low speed "uh oh I'm stuck" moments. I guess they expect it would blow up far too many rear ends if they let people just turn it on and drive any way they like. I don't see myself ever spending the money to upgrade to an aftermarket rear end. When that time comes I'm shopping again for a turbo diesel truck. Incidentally, I had two more experiences pulling out into traffic today that made me hate the open differential even more.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
This is a 2005 Armada SE Offroad edition... Look at the 4wd selector, it's in AUTO-Mode and honestly mine has only been out of Auto-Mode only maybe a couple times since 2005...

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Jeep Wranglers lockers only work in 4lo also so its just not Nissan. Yes a Auto mode would be great or just go buy a Ford Raptor because you can run there lockers up to 100mph.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
RI as in Rhody? where in RI are you? I go to URI and am down in gansett near scarboro beach. The snow storm was pissah. Still havent got stuck even in my front yard with a foot of snow. My only complaint is when youre spinning them even in 4x, the truck cuts power and you cant WOT spin em to try and get un stuck so u gotta rock it. fail on nissan engineering there..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup Rhody I live in Richmond. I went to URI as well, among other colleges. I am a professor locally now. With a Jan uary like this it better work well in 4WD!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts