Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in ca where the smog laws suck. I have a 2006 kc with 31,000 miles. I currently have no issues with my exhaust manifolds leaking, but always wonder if they will eventually. I want to eventually run jba shorty headers and magnaflow cats, but how can i do so without having to switch everything out every year at smog time? im looking for a 1 time upgrade that will pass smog without having to switch out parts before inspection every year..any advice?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
This is what I am going to convert my current JBA setup to later this summer...
JBA headers (CARB approved) weld on Magnaflow HF cat #59955 and flange the exit.
I will either use a set of OEM B pipes with hollow cats, or fab B pipes with hollow cat housings to pass the visual. After I get my setup swapped out, I will have a dry run smog test to see how it tests...
JBA headers (CARB approved)
MF HF Cat #59955 (NOT CARB approved)
The way I figure is, if it passes the sniffer test, the visual should pass as well since the forward and rear cat placements are the same as OEM, unless the tech is an @ss ...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine is 2006 2wd so i only have the 2 cats welded to the manifolds then the 2 small resonantors, and im thinking of the place where i usually smog and i dont remember him looking for such things so i think im just gonna go for it. i just dont want to use the factory cats with the jbas ive seen some bad posts about that set-up

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
mine is 2006 2wd so i only have the 2 cats welded to the manifolds then the 2 small resonantors, and im thinking of the place where i usually smog and i dont remember him looking for such things so i think im just gonna go for it. i just dont want to use the factory cats with the jbas ive seen some bad posts about that set-up
After you do the mod, see if you can get a "test run" and let us know the results...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but im thinnking if he sees the headers instead of heat shields it may send him on a whole different protocol. i dont need smog for another year i believe, do they smog every year or every other year? been a while since ive had to do one actually..

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
but im thinnking if he sees the headers instead of heat shields it may send him on a whole different protocol. i dont need smog for another year i believe, do they smog every year or every other year? been a while since ive had to do one actually..
First smog cert required in the 6th year after production.., as for the heatshield issue, JBA's come with CARB sticker to slap up on the hood (recommend you put it near the OEM catalyst diagram) but I put mine on top of the plastic crossmember in front of the radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts