Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've always wanted one of those small bass boats (Bass Hunter, Pelican, Sun Dolphin, whatever) so I can fish small bodies of water without having to spend a fortune on a boat. But I'd like to be able to take it with us when we tow the travel trailer.

Does anyone have a good option for putting the boat in the bed while towing? It would be too long sticking out of the back and would hit the trailer in a turn.

The only thing I can think of would be to use something like a kayak rack or contractor's rig to put the extra length over the cab, but I don't know if they would support the weight/wind resistance with that type of boat on it going down the road.

Anybody got any good suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They make boat loaders for over the cab

Reactions: BLBJBranch

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
I recently saw a support that went into the trailer hitch and stuck out about ten feet.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you're just wanting to fish single, a simple fishing kayak (there's an oxymoron!) will work for your purposes. You could easily set it up on a rack (either bed-mounted, cab mounted, or a combination of the two) which kept the entire length of the kayak over the truck and didn't interfere with the travel trailer. Since you're towing a trailer already, the added height of the kayak on top of the cab should not be a concern as it will still be in line with the height of the TT. Loading and unloading a fishing kayak on a high rack will be much easier than one of the little poly boats, I'm guessing, as well. You could easily get two kayaks up there if you're thinking of more than one person fishing, as well.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have a pelican an bass raider. It's 10' long. I never tried towing with it on, but if the tongue was long enough I think it would work. Want to buy it I live in PA.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would imagine the front boat loader would be the easiest, but I would think you'd lose a lot of visibility with traffic lights and such. I'd be nervous losing a lot of visibility pulling a trailer. Good idea though.

I don't really like the kayak idea, because I don't like sitting down that low while fishing. That's what I like about the boats I want. You can get the swivel seats and stand up more easily if you want. Plus, with a foot control trolling motor, it's easier to turn to the cast. Thanks though.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a pelican an bass raider. It's 10' long. I never tried towing with it on, but if the tongue was long enough I think it would work. Want to buy it I live in PA.
I'm just in the "thinking about it" phase right now but that could be an option. I'll PM you if I decide to go that route. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Similar in loading/transporting to the kayak idea is a square bottom, flat transom canoe. Something like the line from Gheenoe or such. These are super stable, even to the point of duck hunters being able to stand and fire a shotgun from them. They're not noticeably larger than a standard canoe, and are about 14-16' long. Two swivel seats (front and rear) and an electric trolling motor at the stern, and you'd be in business.

Alternately, a 10' long BassRaider would be something you could rack up from the leading edge of the cab on back, or without much overhang to intrude on your vision while driving. Not sure how tough that would be to get up there, though. What do those things weigh?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
20,942 Posts
I would go with the over-the-cab solution first. Alternatively, you could get a toy hauler and put the boat in the toy hauler instead of an ATV.

The the hitch extenders you get into all sorts of nasty calculations for figuring out how much it increases the tongue weight (assuming you don't have a tongue scale).

·
Registered
511 Posts
This might be something to consider: Verticle on the back end of the travel trailer as long as you keep the total height below 13'6". Use Harbor Freight hitch carrier that goes into a trailer hitch into a rear bumper mounted trailer hitch on the trailer.

Or this Receiver Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb Capacity CC-1951 | DiscountRamps.com

Around 50 bucks and 500 pound capacity...... and with a friend, stand the boat up on the transom in the carrier. Rig a tie down using a come along or a pulley (so you can let it down!) that anchors the bow end to the top of your travel trailer. I'd think you want the gunwale facing backwards, but maybe not depending on the length.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This might be something to consider: Verticle on the back end of the travel trailer as long as you keep the total height below 13'6".
I thought about that, but I'd have to install some kind of tie down points going up the side of the trailer to strap it to. And they'd have to be pretty solid since the back of the trailer would be fairly bouncy. I wouldn't want to have a tie down cable going down the length of the trailer roof.

·
Premium Member
20,942 Posts
If the boat extends much beyond the top of the trailer then it would act like a huge parachute. That assumes that the gunwales are facing the trailer, which IMO is mandatory for properly securing the boat without damaging the keel.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I used to throw my 12 foot Aluminum boat upside down on the top of my old F150 on a lumber rack and tow a trailer behind it. Similar to this

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to throw my 12 foot Aluminum boat upside down on the top of my old F150 on a lumber rack and tow a trailer behind it. Similar to this
That's my first choice to go with, something like this.

So it's strong enough to hold the boat securely going down the road?

Of course, I don't know how I'd make it work with my KCover.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Yeah, they are strong enough, used to run about 150 miles each way to where we usually camped at. Mine was just a light weight lumber rack that slid into the bed post holes. Had a 2x4 bolted onto it that I clamped my 5 horse Johnson motor and trolling motor on. I could load/unload my boat all by myself with a little work. Slapped 2 ratcheting straps over the top of the boat, tied the front to the rack, it was good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts