Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OFFROAD PACKAGE or no OFFROAD PACKAGE???

Just wondering everyones thoughts on the off road package. I am trying to locate an 06 LE OR/BT and am having a really hard time finding one. Do i really need the OR? I dont tow, but I enjoy the occasional mudding. Is it that much better than the LE 4x4? What are the true advanages? Is it really worth it? I can find them (LE4x4) all day. Just dont know if I should hold out and keep looking or pull the trigger and get an LE 4X4.

Thanks for your insight...

·
Registered
682 Posts
i dont know its up to you in how you are going to use it. i like the skid plates and the elocker. also my fog lights, but your LE and all LEs come w/ fogs.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Re: OFFROAD PACKAGE or no OFFROAD PACKAGE???

ekes said:
Just wondering everyones thoughts on the off road package. I am trying to locate an 06 LE OR/BT and am having a really hard time finding one. Do i really need the OR? I dont tow, but I enjoy the occasional mudding. Is it that much better than the LE 4x4? What are the true advanages? Is it really worth it? I can find them (LE4x4) all day. Just dont know if I should hold out and keep looking or pull the trigger and get an LE 4X4.

Thanks for your insight...
If you need the lower gearing, (like if you plan to add big tires), the Big Tow package has the same gears as th Off Road Pkg. But if you want to save roughly 15% in gas mileage, don't get either package.

The Off Road pkg. gives you some additional skid plates but you can buy them or aftermarket ones. The Rancho Coilovers and rear shocks, as all Titan OEM shocks are garbage. The boots on my Ranchos were a hard plastic imitation boots that simply slid up and down over the shocks' body. Here's what the Titan suspension expert, PRG, states about our OEM shocks:
PrerunnerGreg said:
all shocks (even air shocks) use oil for damping, so they are all hydraulic. As for the stock shocks, instead of nitrogen or a spring to keep the oil in its place, they use a piece of cellular foam to act as a spring. as the foam breaks down (ususally in weeks) the shock will loose performance.
You will be replacing the coilovers and rear shocks ASAP!

The E-LOCK is the only thing special about the package. It can only be engaged in 4LO and 12mph is its limit according to Nissan. This is a crawler type of locker by design. [I don't think I've used it over 5 or 6 mph, because I didn't want to bounce my tires off the ridges and roll]. I've used mine for idling up some unbelievably steep jeep hills ... but my Father-in-law's Dodge Ram 4x4 with a true Limited Slip Differential, made it up the same hills that I did. [Our 4x4s and some 2wd have an Active Brake Limited Slip, (ABLS), which isn't as good as a true differential based limited slip].

So if you foresee crawling, (which is boring to me, yet impressive and scary too, but sloooow), get the E-LOCK. If I were to do it over again I'd get just the 4x4 and add the aftermarket Detroit Tru-Trac limited slip differential, or probably even a 2wd with an aftermarket Tru-trac, and make it into a mid-travel prerunner.

When I got the truck the O.R.'s E-LOCK sounded great, and I have had fun with it, and the Big Tow had a couple of thousand pounds greater towing capacity, but due to current fuel costs, I will never get a boat big enough to need that package. Transmission temp gauge is nice but I'm sure one can be added, when you get a hitch installed. But depends what you want to do with your Titan.

But, currently there aren't aftermarket gears for the Titan, and when they come out they will more than likely be out a couple of years sooner on the 2wd Titans ... so If you want 35s get the Big Tow, (or Off Road), for the lower gearing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased my 08 LE 4x4 w/the towing package and no OR package in august. My local dealer coudn't get me the truck I wanted (base blizard white cc 4x4 le w/bt) without ordering it,so after about a week of phone calls to dealers,I found one about 200mi away. It was a hassle finding it,but I ended up with the exact truck I wanted:smoke: Keep looking,you will be happier when you bring home the truck you really want.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
stressfulcar said:
I purchased my 08 LE 4x4 w/the towing package and no OR package in august. My local dealer coudn't get me the truck I wanted (base blizard white cc 4x4 le w/bt) without ordering it,so after about a week of phone calls to dealers,I found one about 200mi away. It was a hassle finding it,but I ended up with the exact truck I wanted:smoke: Keep looking,you will be happier when you bring home the truck you really want.
They couldn't find one becasue there is no such thing as an OR package for 2008. To get that package, you have to get the PRO-4X. What a shame!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I also had a heck of a time trying to locate an LE with BT and OR, so I gave up on the OR and have never really cared. If I want a crawler, I'll get an older jeep and set it up right...don't really want to bang up my LE all that bad.

I agree about the shocks...while I am not a huge fan of Rancho, I do know some bigwigs with Monroe pretty well, and think I'll make the switch from my stock shocks before winter hits.

The additional cost of the BT package is pretty reasonable if you price out the mirrors and hitch separately. I did not like the BT mirrors at first, and I thought the standard LE mirrors with power folding and turn signal were pretty neat, but after a year with my truck, I would not give up my big mirrors. Go for the BT, forget the OR 'cause it's just too hard to find on an LE.

·
Registered
13 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
They couldn't find one becasue there is no such thing as an OR package for 2008. To get that package, you have to get the PRO-4X. What a shame!
I was set on a Base Model ie:no nav or sun roof,but with the towing package,and in the color I wanted also. The specific options I wanted and didn't was the reason it took a little searching.:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts