Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how long these shocks should last. I like them and have had no problems but am just wondering when I should expect to have them replaced.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
well hard use can can kill a shock at any moment...

but they seem to be fairly short lived. I think I heard some guys talking about them being shot after 2 years or about 30K miles...course you've already passed that.

Of course, shocks tend to last a lot longer when they aren't used much and don't have to deal with salt attacking seals etc.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just how can you tell they need replacement? Tire wear, ride drops in quality? Thanks for the info. I can't remember keeping a vehicle long enough to worry.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
You can look at the shocks and see if the seals have blown, it will be obvious because of the dirt/oil on them. Another easy test is to bounce on the rear bumper, then jump off and the truck should stop bouncing almost immediately!

Wait till you have a quality set like bilstiens, you will notice I nice improvement!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vipzach said:
You can look at the shocks and see if the seals have blown, it will be obvious because of the dirt/oil on them. Another easy test is to bounce on the rear bumper, then jump off and the truck should stop bouncing almost immediately!

Wait till you have a quality set like bilstiens, you will notice I nice improvement!
After over $900 in tires, I'm not to willing to replace the shocks if I don't have too....lol.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
In my mind, you know they are blown because you think the ride is $hitty.

For some folks...shocks are blown from the factory.

If the ride is getting crappy upgrade the shocks. That's my rule of thumb.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
After over $900 in tires, I'm not to willing to replace the shocks if I don't have too....lol.
what u said....my TITAN is 3 1/2 years old and has 27xxx miles. i just put new rubber on her and dont want to relplace something else right now unless its needed.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
goathead said:
what u said....my TITAN is 3 1/2 years old and has 27xxx miles. i just put new rubber on her and dont want to relplace something else right now unless its needed.
Exactly. I'm no lottery winner.

·
Super Moderator
93,679 Posts
If your happy with the ride and they aren't leaking then don't worry about them!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If your shocks are blown, going over small bumps at a higher rate of speed, one will notice excessive bounce. That's when you really know it's really blown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts