Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here know of any other cars or trucks with Active Brake Limited slip or is this the first of its kind?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Batman229 said:
Anybody here know of any other cars or trucks with Active Brake Limited slip or is this the first of its kind?
My Trans Am has TCS witch does basically the same thing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but if you turn that off you still have limited slip. You cant turn this off.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Batman229 said:
Our '03 4Runner has it as well. Toyota calls it Traction Control.

Karl

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
traction control is more then making sure the wheels propel the car, it also keeps the car straight when it begins to skid using brakes and throttle, traction control is the vcd or vsd with the tow package. The abls is a totally different animal. It acts as a limited slip but electronically and not mechanically. What other cars use abls?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Batman229 said:
traction control is more then making sure the wheels propel the car, it also keeps the car straight when it begins to skid using brakes and throttle, traction control is the vcd or vsd with the tow package. The abls is a totally different animal. It acts as a limited slip but electronically and not mechanically. What other cars use abls?
Well if you want to get technical, on the 4Runner VSC (Vehicle Stability Control which has nothing to do with tow packaging) and Traction Control (TRAC) work in concert to apply the brakes to a slipping wheel while diverting power to wheels that do have traction and also reducing engine output. It's the same concept as the Titans VDC and ABLS, both act electronically or as a virtual LSD.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Z3 with ABS & DSC

My Z3 has ABS and DSC - Dynamic Stability Control. I believe the DSC is supposed to serve as a form of traction control as it kicks in anytime the back wheels want to spin OR if one of the rear wheels loses contact with the road. There is a switch on the dash to turn the DSC off whenever you want. I really haven't tried to see the difference of having it on or off. The backend is very, very light and even with the DSC turned on it doesn't take much to spin it around in the middle of the road if you're not careful - based on what I've seen and heard.

:eveilgrin

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't the Touareg and Cayenne have this type of system available? I'm less than happy with it, with one tire on ice the truck will barely move even with the system working.

·
Registered
294 Posts
CI338 said:
Don't the Touareg and Cayenne have this type of system available? I'm less than happy with it, with one tire on ice the truck will barely move even with the system working.
I think it works great. We went to New Mexico a few weeks ago and got caught in a bad snow storm and the VDC worked flawlessly as well as the ABLS when turning corners.

If you try to spin the wheels when turning you can feel the ABLS kick in before the VDC reduces the throttle response.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
karlconnell said:
I think it works great. We went to New Mexico a few weeks ago and got caught in a bad snow storm and the VDC worked flawlessly as well as the ABLS when turning corners.

If you try to spin the wheels when turning you can feel the ABLS kick in before the VDC reduces the throttle response.
I think it works well also. I have to pull out and merge onto a high speed asphalt road going steep uphill from a gravel road. When one wheel hits the asphalt, the other still on the gravel, I can step on it hard and the SLIP light on the dash goes on and the ABLS kicks in nicely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts