Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any problems with their engine over heating while pulling / hauling any mid - full size trailers with a good amount of weight on it?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have not had any problems with anything towing a 27' 7000lb travel trailer.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The key is don't tow in 5th(OD) and drop to 3rd before the trans thinks you should...This is the same advise for just about any truck towing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I usually tow in summer up 6% grade with a 24' Toybox. It's 7200lbs empty so it's probably 8000lbs for camping. I only have problems when I tow up the hill at too high rpms. I just slow down and the engine temp come down. I'm waiting on Stillen new radiator and thinking of adding the stillen aux radiator.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
There have been very few reported issues of excessive coolant temps...As for high RPM, the Titan's engine is designed to rev and to do so for guite a while.
Up hills, 3500-3700 is no problem....

·
Registered
62 Posts
There was a recall for some 07's with bad wiring to the electric fan; that could cause problems when towing if you haven't had it fixed. And I'd agree with keeping the transmission in lower gears under load to help it stay cooler.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
There was a recall for some 07's with bad wiring to the electric fan; that could cause problems when towing if you haven't had it fixed.
That's correct, the fan was wired backwards so it tried to blow air forward...

·
Registered
89 Posts
No problems with mine. I have towed about 10,000 miles since last spring with a 26' travel trailer fully loaded, in the mountains and in the flat. No problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i pull a 25 foot at about 7200 lbs loaded. not any problems yet. keep it in fourth

·
Registered
72 Posts
My '06 CC 4X4 LE ran a little hot in 07/2006... it was 116° and we were heading up the Baker Grade into Las Vegas with a 23' Fleetwood Nitrous HyperLite. The total weight was about 13500lbs for both the truck and trailer (had it weighed in Utah, 6800 for the truck and 6300 for the trailer.)

Anyway, I had the A/C on and was only doing about 40MPH and the engine temp went up to the 3/4 mark line. It never went past that mark... Turning off the A/C brought the temps back down.

I later found that the radiator cap was dripping some coolant, as if it wasn't tight enough. It could have been pressure related? The cap was replaced under warranty.

In 04/2007 I did the same trip, was a little lighter and running the Baker Grade at 80° at 65MPH with the A/C on, the temp gauge never moved off normal.

The trans has always remained cool even when towing up some awfully ugly hills in CO during July.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts