Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Writing to see if anyone can shed some light on the following scenario: Just purchased an overhead LCD with DVD, and would like to do the least invasive install possible, which would be to hook up power and rely exclusively on the wireless headphones or FM transmitter for sound. My truck is an '05 LE with a rear overhead console behind the sunroof that has buttons for the OEM screen were it there, as well as map lights. Wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a constant power and a neutral/return wire up there as well as the door light wiring? As well if I have to fish wires through the roof liner, if anyone has done it and can give me a heads up on potential problem areas, that'd be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey ewalbridge!! Anyone get back to you on this or did you decide to do it at all. I just got an overhead dvd player and was wondering the same thing. Let me know what you did??? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Decided not to rely on the overhead wiring and instead ran both a three conductor cable and a 2 conductor audio cable from the overhead console through the roof liner to the psgr side, along the roof line and down the A pillar to the fuse box. Took power as needed from the box (both + - and remote, per the instructions of the unit), and left a small loop of audio cable in the glove box that I can plug into my aux input whenever I don't want to rely on the dvd play speakers. I believe I took power from the stereo circuit, as I'll never really be running both the dvd player and the stereo at full power, so I figured that was safe. And I mounted the TV unit right over top of the rear sunglass holder, leaving the rear door lights exposed, so I didn't have to mess around with the lights that were on the unit. Actually I removed the whole overhead console and demo'd the rear sunglass unit to create an opening for the final connections into the dvd unit, then covered it. In retrospect it seems there should have been an easier way with the wiring, but I ended up going with the tried and true, and the system works well for me. Let me know how this pans out for you...

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
I have an 08 SE, I've had the headliner down a few times and there is an extra harness that runs right to where the factory screen would be mounted, I assume that's what it's there for since that is the only accessory back there that I don't have on my truck. I also have all the wiring already under the center console that would connect to the factory DVD player as well. It's not too hard to find that wiring, If you flip down that container on that back console, remove the 2 screws and then pull with a bit of force at the front that console pulls down. It is still held up by a bracket that supports it to access the wiring and such. But once you have it down and reach to your right you should feel the connector just sitting there. All the wiring then runs down the headliner to the front of the truck towards your rearview mirror, then cuts over to the passenger side and down the a-pillar there to under your dash by the fuse panel. I'll leave you with this info right now as I search some schematics to double check and verify that is the correct wiring.
-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Here's the description of where power flows and such. The wiring I mentioned in the overhead is for the screen, you can find the player harness under the center console as I mentioned and the other part of it runs through the factory stereo.

DVD ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM
Revision: October 2004 2005 Titan
System Description EKS00AOY
Refer to Owner's Manual for DVD entertainment system operating instructions.
Power is supplied at all times
 through 20A fuse (No. 31, located in the fuse and fusible link box)
 to DVD player terminal 16.
With the ignition switch in the ACC or ON position, power is supplied
 through 10A fuse [No. 4, located in the fuse block (J/B)]
 to DVD player terminal 15.
Power is also supplied
 from DVD player terminals 31 and 32
 to video monitor terminals 11 and 12.
Ground is supplied
 to DVD player terminal 22
 through body grounds M57, M61 and M79.
Audio signals are supplied
 through DVD player terminals 1, 2, 3 and 4
 to audio unit terminals 34, 35, 36 and 37.
Video signals are supplied
 through DVD player terminals 23, 24, 28 and 29
 to video monitor terminals 5, 6, 7 and 8.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Sorry ewalbridge, I didn't even see the post till yesterday. Sounds like you've got yours hooked up pretty good though, is it still working pretty good?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it's working well. Just always been a fan of using existing wires for their intended purpose, rather than filling the ceiling with redundant runs. Anyways, used butt-splices and kept the runs continuous, and no problems to date. Good alternative method if the harness isn't already there on other trucks, I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts