Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’m a member over at club frontier and I was looking at the over head racks for the titan and was a bit disappointed that they did not make them for the second gen frontiers. My questions is since the util-track systems is basically the same on the two trucks besides width of bed, would I be able to cut partially of both ends of the crossbars and re-drill holes to make it fit?

There are other systems out there but i like this on because it works with the util track.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was thinking more along the lines of cutting a designated amount off each of the ends since the center looks curved slightly and i would not have to perform any welding. If anyone owns one in the phoenix area and would like to meet sometime to give me a better prospective that would be great too.

Thanks alot!

·
Premium Member
75,175 Posts
the beds are not that different as i had a bed extender from a frontier on my titan for a bit. i did have to adjust the width though so i'd assume cutting the ends will be in your future. you probably won't have to cut much off. the hardest part will be deailng with the torx bits in plastic, kind of a ****ty deal. just make them hand tight and maybe a 1/4 turn more if that much. i got mine used so they were pretty shady but i went around a made sure everything was tight.

i never installed the light for the brake, i didn't really want it. i'll be adding surf borad pads for sure and maybe even a basket soon, not sure yet. i might wait on the basket until the truck is lifted, not sure when that will be.

good luck, pm with questions, i have lots of pics if you need them, just search my threads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DeadRiver said:
the beds are not that different as i had a bed extender from a frontier on my titan for a bit. i did have to adjust the width though so i'd assume cutting the ends will be in your future. you probably won't have to cut much off. the hardest part will be deailng with the torx bits in plastic, kind of a ****ty deal. just make them hand tight and maybe a 1/4 turn more if that much. i got mine used so they were pretty shady but i went around a made sure everything was tight.

i never installed the light for the brake, i didn't really want it. i'll be adding surf borad pads for sure and maybe even a basket soon, not sure yet. i might wait on the basket until the truck is lifted, not sure when that will be.

good luck, pm with questions, i have lots of pics if you need them, just search my threads.
Thanks for the reply, If you do have some pics close up and with the crossbars disassembled if you can. I saw that some people saying they got there’s for $350 from the dealer but when I called they told me it would be $470. Anyone know were I can get the cheapest?

·
Premium Member
75,175 Posts
NizMoto said:
Thanks for the reply, If you do have some pics close up and with the crossbars disassembled if you can. I saw that some people saying they got there’s for $350 from the dealer but when I called they told me it would be $470. Anyone know were I can get the cheapest?
ebay! i bought my bed extender for 100 bucks and my overhead racks for 150, slightly used but nothing wrong with either..

check these threads, both have pics of my truck and my newest mod which you may like being in a fronty:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-towing-hauling/61213-roof-rack-bed-extender-mod-deadriver.html

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...35-pics-my-titan-sedona.html?highlight=sedona

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
you would have to cut equal lengths off both ends because there is a slight crown in them. other than that it should work fine.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
konigfritz said:
you would have to cut equal lengths off both ends because there is a slight crown in them. other than that it should work fine.
K-fritz (That's what I'm going to call you in your bad-black Titan), How are the tubes connected into the utlitrac mounts?

I ask because wouldn't it be better to go to a place that sells tubular steel/aluminum and then have it pipe-bent?

Oh and off-topic but related to YOUR rack, I'm still trying to save up to buy them. I just bought my truetrac and powerslot rotors which I needed more than the rack at this moment!

·
Premium Member
75,175 Posts
Kronos1965 said:
KHow are the tubes connected into the utlitrac mounts?
I ask because wouldn't it be better to go to a place that sells tubular steel/aluminum and then have it pipe-bent?
click the first link above for the mounting question. the overhead racks fit in the utilitrack that way. the actual top bar tube is held on by 4 torx bits (t-15 i think) and those snazzy plastic peices.

it seems like the overall build of the racks is a 1/2 angle shape roughly 4x4 with a few holes drilled for bolts and the adjustment handles covered in crappy plastic. if you remove the plastic it's really light guage aluminum, the tubes come down into some sort of holder and seem to be tack welded to the 4x4 plate. since the racks can only hold 250lbs (125 ea.) i've been thinking about making my own set, having them constructed of one tube, possibley bent, but i'm not sure if they can bend the diameter without caving in the tube. i'd then have the whole thing powdercoated black.. maybe even have a bar off the front as a cab protector, or extension...

yeah, been looking at my racks a lot lately :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
DeadRiver said:
click the first link above for the mounting question. the overhead racks fit in the utilitrack that way. the actual top bar tube is held on by 4 torx bits (t-15 i think) and those snazzy plastic peices.

it seems like the overall build of the racks is a 1/2 angle shape roughly 4x4 with a few holes drilled for bolts and the adjustment handles covered in crappy plastic. if you remove the plastic it's really light guage aluminum, the tubes come down into some sort of holder and seem to be tack welded to the 4x4 plate. since the racks can only hold 250lbs (125 ea.) i've been thinking about making my own set, having them constructed of one tube, possibley bent, but i'm not sure if they can bend the diameter without caving in the tube. i'd then have the whole thing powdercoated black.. maybe even have a bar off the front as a cab protector, or extension...

yeah, been looking at my racks a lot lately :cheers:
Someone in this group should be able to answer the question of how to bend tubes without crushing them...

http://www.thomasnet.com/products/tube-fabricating-bending-services-88330600-1.html

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
DeadRiver said:
i've been thinking about making my own set, having them constructed of one tube, possibley bent, but i'm not sure if they can bend the diameter without caving in the tube.

What type of tubing are you planning to use?

·
Premium Member
75,175 Posts
54warrior said:
What type of tubing are you planning to use?
at first i thought of oval tubing to match my oem steps...

then i got to thinking "if i'm gonna fab some racks, might as well fab some steps" so my options are wide open at this time. i might use some rectangular stock to compliment the boxiness of the truck, rims, and door handles. i'm even thinking about making a bed extender out of 1" square stock to really pull it off...

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
It can be done if you have a big enough bender. You just have to be real careful and, I've heard filling the tubing with sand with help stop any crushing.

·
Premium Member
75,175 Posts
konigfritz said:
It can be done if you have a big enough bender. You just have to be real careful and, I've heard filling the tubing with sand with help stop any crushing.
i've also seen a spring like contraption to put where the bend is going to be made... not sure where to pick one of those up...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so we are pretty sure that all i would really have to do is cut an equal length from both ends. Now for cutting the pipe, would a simple sawsall work? Also for redrilling the holes, are they threaded?

Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
75,175 Posts
NizMoto said:
Ok so we are pretty sure that all i would really have to do is cut an equal length from both ends. Now for cutting the pipe, would a simple sawsall work? Also for redrilling the holes, are they threaded?

Thanks again guys!
sorry niz, but you made me wonder, so i went looking. here is what i've found:

there are (4) torx screws holding the plastic corner pieces on:

i loosened the top two:

i removed the plastic to see what was up:

inside view of plastic sleeve:

it doesn't appear as simple as i thought. i bought my racks on e-bay and they came assembled. i never liked the plastic pieces but firgured the racks would at least provide the function i needed at the cost i could live with.

i might take the 4 holes used to hold the plastic on and make my own set of tie downs.

not sure how to solve the fronty issue. perhaps if your cab roof is lower you could cut some off the ends.

the beds are really close in width. if you know some one local, give it a shot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wow that is a real downer.:stab: Thanks alot for checking that out for me thoe, i would have spent alot of money and not been able to do anything with them.

If anyone has any other suggestions of if someone here in phoenix has the rack and would be willing to meet and let me check it out that would be great.

Also DeadRiver would you mind mesuring your bed from on utiltrac to the other?

Thanks again everyone! :fktardxpl

·
Premium Member
75,175 Posts
61" track to track (outside)

thule makes a system for our trucks and i've seen it on at least 1 fronty down @ the beach. it clamps to the side and the guy that installed it must have really torqued his bolts down because his plastic was buckling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah i was looking at that and it does fit but cost about $500 bones and i have to remove the utiltracks from the sides. Thanks again and ill let you guys know what i do!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts