Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off I have a 2005 Titan with 186k miles that I have had about 3 months. In this time I have dealt with the fuel pump issue, maf sensor issue, catalytic converter issue, shifter linkage issue, and now this.ome has me beat. It is overheating only when driving. As I type this I am driving a 500 mile trip from Louisiana to Branson Missouri with the heat on which is keeping temp at normal temp. My issue started as a radiator leak, but was not running hot, when I changed the radiator the radiator cap, not expansion tank cap, started leaking, but was still not overheating. Once I changed this and got the system sealed my overheating problem started. I had the system bleed and it stopped overheating for maybe a day, then the problem came back and I noticed the fan clutch was out, while changing this I decided to change the thermostat and all 3 hoses since they were soft beings they were 10 years old and kinda spongy. After this overheating was still occurring so I changed the water pump and ran a hose through the heater core which showed no signs of being stopped up. I am lost on this one. Runs fine with heat on with heat off it runs hot almost immediately. When it gets warm I can kill it let pressure off expansion tank, when I do this coolant rises and then will reenter system within seconds which makes me believe its the thermostat,but I have changed that 3 times and now I have a failsafe in. I am lost on this. I love my titanand really wantt this problem fixed. I am wondering if the engine coolant temp sensor would throw a code if it went out and if the vehicle is even really running hot. I am debating changing it just to see, I mean whats $25 compared to the $700 I have put in the cooling system. PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Find the factory service manuals somewhere on this site. Then locate the cooling system map. It is possible you have a blockage somewhere near the engine block and circulation bypasses when the heater is on. SWAG. Scientific Wild Azz Guess here.

·
Premium Member
19,274 Posts
What type of cap did you use to replace the OEM one?
Is it possible that you have air in the cooling system? Overheating is a symptom of that.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Find the factory service manuals somewhere on this site. Then locate the cooling system map. It is possible you have a blockage somewhere near the engine block and circulation bypasses when the heater is on. SWAG. Scientific Wild Azz Guess here.
I had this problem, or something like it in an old truck. I took the bottom hose off the radiator and dumped into a bucket. Then removed the top hose and exhaled through the hose until the blockage came out. Now my symptoms were different, as I did not have heat in the Winter, but the fix is there are many ways of not doing this available such as a water bladder, but a system flush may be in order. Also, by changing the cap on the overflow did you trap the air if it is not vented, I do not know that it is supposed to be, but if it is it could cause the air to be trapped as HRTKD suggested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is possible that I have air but supposedly according to a mechanic, the nissaan stealership has a special tool to bkeed these systems. I made it to the the mountain s but cannot finish my trip because the mountain s make it run hot with or without heat. Is air suppose to be able to escape through the expansion tank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the coolant temp sensor today as well as removing the thermostat. As soon as I pull over, when it starts to run hot I cut it off pop hood let pressure off expansion tank, without fluid overflowing restart it and it cools down ruight away. Also I can idle for an hour and temp gauge never moves. Im so lost on this one.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Inspect the expansion tank cap. It should breathe. I say that because most car do. I'm going to look at mine right now.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Mine is warm right now. Had slight amount of air escape when I took it off. There does appear to be a vent in the cap.

·
Premium Member
19,274 Posts
Park the Titan with the nose as high above the rear bumper as you can. Remove the radiator cap and then let the engine run warm for 10 minutes. I've changed my radiator twice and have used that method both times. No problems.

If air in the system isn't the problem then this won't help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some new info on my issue or another issue hell I dont know anymore. Got the titan up the mountains, had to stop a few times but I made my move...I noticed that my trans cooler line, where it clamps onto the radiator is pushing fluid out. I remember a yellow sticker being over this and saying something but I dont remember what. I think I may have done something wrong here and the radiator is not pumping the tranny fluid correct or either there is another issue, ill have to look at it in the daylight. Does anyone know if I was supposed to do something special when hooking this line up. Thanks for all ur help guys!

·
Premium Member
19,274 Posts
As I recall, the transmission cooler line flows into the radiator on the passenger side and flows out of the radiator on the driver side. Both nozzles are at the bottom of the radiator pointing towards the rear of the vehicle. It would be hard to hook it up wrong since the cooler lines only reach so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was one from oriellys so aftermarket which actually ended up being the problem I get it repaired this week so hoping all gies well. I will post back

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum but have been reading this thread as I just ordered a replacement radiator for my 06 Titan SE 4X4 which has right at 99,400 miles on the odometer. So what the hey, since I have to remove the radiator and replace it anyhow, as it began leaking last week, I am also doing the water pump (cheap enough), the hoses + new radiator cap and new thermostat.

So are you saying that the 'radiator' you got new from O'Reilly is/was defective? How did you determine this? Very strange to me, but then on a few rare occasions I have gotten 'new defective parts'.

The airlock symptom of insufficient air bleed of the cooling system is a fairly common occurrence in many vehicles. May take several warm ups and cool downs with the front end pointed uphill and the radiator cap off before completely purged of any air causing a cooling system 'air lock'.

On one rare occasion years ago, I had the symptoms you describe. The cause turned out to be a blown head gasket that was locking the coolant flow with cylinder compression being pushed into the water passage in one head. Yet there was no evidence of coolant in the oil or white smoke out the exhaust. It was discovered by running a compression test on all the cylinders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts