Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was sitting in the truck,,stuck in a line of cars,,6500 miles,,2007 titan,,,started to overheat,,smelled antifreeze,,,turned off airconditioner,and rolled down windows,,reved up engine,,started cooling off,,,,,after truck sat overnight,,got in the next morning and started truck,,,opened hood,,and right off the bat the radiator fluid was shooting into overflow tank,,,is this normal?,,or is the thermostat stuck open??

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have not looked at my titan, but on my little mazda truck it has a similar radiator setup. Since the radiator does not have a cap, the recovery bottle is pressurized and it always has some antifreeze flowing back into it.

There is a problem if the truck is overheating...either a fan, low coolant, thermostat, or serious head gasket problem.

I would check the antifreeze level..if you are losing coolant, fix it.

I don't really think a broken electric fan would cause overheating unless you were towing or really working the engine...but that fan is easy to check..either it works or it doesn't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jasonwabc said:
I have not looked at my titan, but on my little mazda truck it has a similar radiator setup. Since the radiator does not have a cap, the recovery bottle is pressurized and it always has some antifreeze flowing back into it.

There is a problem if the truck is overheating...either a fan, low coolant, thermostat, or serious head gasket problem.

I would check the antifreeze level..if you are losing coolant, fix it.

I don't really think a broken electric fan would cause overheating unless you were towing or really working the engine...but that fan is easy to check..either it works or it doesn't.

it's not the fan,,,it works,,,taking it to the dealership tomorrow,,,hopefully it will be something simple and fast,,will post on here when i return,,,,thank you for your help! :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Could be a defective radiator cap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SOCALTITANKC4X4LE said:
Could be a defective radiator cap.
took in the titan today,,,,,they looked at it,,and all they could find wrong with it was a fan recall problem,,,,say my thank yous,,get in and drive the 2 hours home,,,,,get home,,let the truck cool down for about 4 hours,,,go out and start it up,,,look under the hood,,and the radiator fluid is flowing just like always into the overflow tank,,,,,??????,,,,,going to call them again tomorrow,,,where ,,oh where are the nissan mechanics?????????????

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would bet its the radiator cap, had the same problem some time ago and watch the radiator itself they tend to leak.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
check the radiator cap. clean everything and drive and see if it splatters on the engine and cover. the caps are cheap, and if air gets in then it is not pressureized and the coolent can boil. look at the coolent boiling properties, unpressurized the boiling point is way lower

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
farmfolk4 said:
it's not the fan,,,it works,,,taking it to the dealership tomorrow,,,hopefully it will be something simple and fast,,will post on here when i return,,,,thank you for your help! :)
Did you get the problem fixed ?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Resurrecting this one because I have a question.

Should there be any fluid in the overflow tank after the truck cools overnight? Or, do you check the fluid levels while the truck is warm?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
That radiator cap issue has been a thing since 2004 when these trucks first arrived on the scene. It's a first level fix for this problem for sure.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I believe the min/max lines on the overflow bottle equate to cold fill and hot fill lines, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Resurrecting this one because I have a question.

Should there be any fluid in the overflow tank after the truck cools overnight? Or, do you check the fluid levels while the truck is warm?

Thanks in advance!
There should always be fluid in the overflow tank. Look at the marks on the side of the tank it will tell you where it should be. Hot liquid expands as it cools in contracts and draws the coolant back into the engine from the overflow tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tow an 8K lb boat with my 2006 Titan. Last year I started having problems with the engine getting hot going up grades. Both the tranny temp indicator and the engine temp indicator normally don't even move. My tranny temp is still good BUT the engine temp needle goes just past the "your to hot" hash mark. This only happens when I am towing and only when I am going uphill. I tow in 4th and with the tow/haul on. Until last year I had NO problem what so ever. When this first started the engine temp needle would move from normal to hot quickly, stay there a minute or two then drop just as fast. Now it just goes up there and stays there till I am on the flat again. The dealer has replaced the radiator and elec fan. It only made it a bit worse. The service manager went up the canyon with me the other day towing the boat with his computer hooked up. Sure enough......it is getting to hot (like I said....). So far they seemed stumped. Any suggestions? I have read every thread I can find and haven't really seen a solution or reason for this yet. HELP! Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tow an 8K lb boat with my 2006 Titan. Last year I started having problems with the engine getting hot going up grades. Both the tranny temp indicator and the engine temp indicator normally don't even move. My tranny temp is still good BUT the engine temp needle goes just past the "your to hot" hash mark. This only happens when I am towing and only when I am going uphill. I tow in 4th and with the tow/haul on. Until last year I had NO problem what so ever. When this first started the engine temp needle would move from normal to hot quickly, stay there a minute or two then drop just as fast. Now it just goes up there and stays there till I am on the flat again. The dealer has replaced the radiator and elec fan. It only made it a bit worse. The service manager went up the canyon with me the other day towing the boat with his computer hooked up. Sure enough......it is getting to hot (like I said....). So far they seemed stumped. Any suggestions? I have read every thread I can find and haven't really seen a solution or reason for this yet. HELP! Thanks.
Simple things first:
1,Is engine oil grade according to specs? Engine oil removes 60-70 % of heat from engine.
2, is transmission fluid up to mark and is it the required Nissan Matic X?. Not just European car ATF, Overheating transmission fluid ends up in radiator further elevating the heat,
3, Have you checked the water temperature sending unit ( sensor ) itself?
4 Did you install new thermostat with bypass hole in upper position?
5, Did you buy 185 or 195 degrees thermostat? What is the spec for your vehicle?.
6. Tow will require an increased rev of engine,
7. Check your brakes. Dragging brakes spell overheat,
Now is the more serious part.
8 , Perform or have performed compression test on all cylinders. While you are at it you may as well inspect and if needed replace spark plugs. Ideally all 8 spark plugs will have similar wear conditions and color at electrodes. if one (or more) plug is different then look for reason ( bad / dirty injector, high voltage coil, damaged wire, connector,
Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Simple things first:
1,Is engine oil grade according to specs? Engine oil removes 60-70 % of heat from engine.
2, is transmission fluid up to mark and is it the required Nissan Matic X?. Not just European car ATF, Overheating transmission fluid ends up in radiator further elevating the heat,
3, Have you checked the water temperature sending unit ( sensor ) itself?
4 Did you install new thermostat with bypass hole in upper position?
5, Did you buy 185 or 195 degrees thermostat? What is the spec for your vehicle?.
6. Tow will require an increased rev of engine,
7. Check your brakes. Dragging brakes spell overheat,
Now is the more serious part.
8 , Perform or have performed compression test on all cylinders. While you are at it you may as well inspect and if needed replace spark plugs. Ideally all 8 spark plugs will have similar wear conditions and color at electrodes. if one (or more) plug is different then look for reason ( bad / dirty injector, high voltage coil, damaged wire, connector,
Good luck
You may also want to check brakes on your trailer. Sitting for a duration of time may cause drums/disks calipers or wheel cylinders to build rust, hence the added traction which may be the reason of engine overheat, especially when climbing on am elevation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts