Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
i did. i had it in 5th gear. dropped it down and it was fine.

·
Registered
662 Posts
No (knock on wood) I've never had any problems.

Reactions: SeanDavy

·
Registered
909 Posts
Lock out 5th and keep it around 3k rpms when climbing a hill. If the tranny starts to get hot shift to a lower gear. Heading east out of SD it is real steep for quite a while. I just keep it in 3rd @ 50-55. No problems. Trailer is 6.5k loaded.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The Titan is known for towing quite well without temp issues...just keep it in the right gear...
Got many guys here towing good sized loads uphill in the summer with A/C running and still no issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well ive tried everyting and for some reason mine always pverheats if im pulling something like a small boat, or a large size uhual trialor, or just a couple fourwheelers.. I live in florida so there's not even any steep inclines lol.. ive tried dropping it and nothing is different besides the rpms' and the power, it still over heates..

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
well ive tried everyting and for some reason mine always pverheats if im pulling something like a small boat, or a large size uhual trialor, or just a couple fourwheelers.. I live in florida so there's not even any steep inclines lol.. ive tried dropping it and nothing is different besides the rpms' and the power, it still over heates..
There is no Titan cooling flaw, it's very rare that the Titan overeheats...It's time to get her back to the dealer to see what's wrong...Is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea it's under warranty for anouther cople thousand miles, but ive had it in and out of the shop numerous times and they cant find anything wrong with it.. thats not the only thing thats wrong either but the other problem doesnt even relate to this..

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
When you say over-heats, what does that mean in this case? Is to boiling over, getting 3/4's hot, trans temp raising?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
It should not over heat under normal safe towing loads while in the proper gear. If the dealer can't fix it they need to keep it and give you a new one. Of my 56,000 miles on my truck I have probably 20K towing and the trany or engine temp has passed the halfway mark and to think of it I don't think they have seen the halfway mark.

Make sure your fluids are the correct levels hook up your boat and go see the dealer and when they find the problem call Nissan USA and get an extended warranty for free because you have stressed out the engine because the dealer is a bunch of goobers that can't diagnose a simple over heating issue. Be a Pain in their A$$es and except nothing less.

·
Registered
69 Posts
some of my buddies with other trucks have had overheating problems when they had their aftermarket grilles installed. not so much the replacement grilles but the bolt-on / bolt-over-factory grilles are the ones that gave them the most headaches. especially the ones that have a special design like stars, or flames or some other crazy thing. they can restrict airflow to the point that when you're towing the airflow through the radiator is insufficient to keep the engine cool while it's working under an increased load. if you have an aftermarket grille, try towing with it removed. you may be suprised.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
if you have an aftermarket grille, try towing with it removed. you may be suprised.
That's a good thought!
I didn't think of that, but I don't run that sort of bling...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know since there was no real definitive answer or follow up on this. I had same issue. Only overheating when towing fine around town. I had my expansion tank camp replaced and then my thermostat, water pump and fan clutch. Still overheated. Then went back and did my radiator and that was the fix. Transmission even runs cooler according to gauge. So start with the radiator. Good luck

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
142 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know since there was no real definitive answer or follow up on this. I had same issue. Only overheating when towing fine around town. I had my expansion tank camp replaced and then my thermostat, water pump and fan clutch. Still overheated. Then went back and did my radiator and that was the fix. Transmission even runs cooler according to gauge. So start with the radiator. Good luck
I had similar experience when towing my 5,500 boat and trailer around. Finally replaced the radiator and all overheating when towing disappeared overnight. 👍🏼

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
same, but mine was during autocross racing in my e30. new radiator fixed it too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts